Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaning toward the Sig P238. I'd much rather go 9mm but from what I understand the 938 is somewhat larger and not as much of a pocket gun.

I like the stiffness of the safety on the P238. I haven't shot any other .380's but the P238 so far. Aside from the price, I can't complain about anything.

I prefer hammer fired guns(DA/SA to be exact) for carry. I do not want a pocket gun that has both no safety and a light trigger. I would consider a pocket gun that had a heavy trigger and no safety, but something like the LCP II is not an option.

Is anyone here pocketing a P938 or would be P238 be a better choice strictly for pocket carry? I have a CZ PCR I carry IWB but I want something for deeper pocket concealment.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
The 238 is one of my fav ..Probl the lightest shooting 380 pocket rocket out there ..Decent trigger and and a joy to carry ..With the right pants the 938 works great also ..I was not a fan of the 938 ambi safty but sig will fix that for you

Colt mustang is another gun that you can look at the same thing really I think the mags work in both guns ..Though the earlier run of them had a few issues

I would def say get a 238 you wont be un happy get some 380 HST micro loads and there you go

Reactions: Ianthin and Col.TED

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Snatch up an LCP Custom before all the new stock sells out. They are out of production now that the LCP II is in stores.

Reactions: DanielC

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I like J frame size 5 shooters also along with ...several other pocket carry pistols ... Taurus TCP 380 , Taurus PT709 9mm, Keltec 32 Springfield XDS45 .. yep a 45acp pocket pistol... Glock 26 ,Springfield also has the XDS platform in 9mm & 40 S&W.
My XDS45 purchase was a good choice ..

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I do carry a pocket gun, my LC9 in an Uncle Mike's nylon pocket holster works just fine.
It's in the first configuration (hammer fired DAO).
It does have a manual safety but I don't feel it's needed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
As far as pocketability goes, it's hard to beat the LCP/LCP Custom. But, no safety, and slide doesn't stay open on last round.

OTOH, I really like both my p238 and p938. As a family (DW and me), we have two p238s. The 938 Equinox started out as her gun, but after we bought it, she injured a finger pretty severely, and could no longer rack the slide on the 938, but could easily rack her buddy's 238. So I got one for her, decked it out with pink grips, a CT laser, even a pink UpLula loader. Then I shot a few round thru it...and I loved it. So I went and bought one for myself as well. It's a great little gun. The 938 IS a tiny bit larger than the 238, but only you can decide if you can pocket it (go to your LGS or range that has a 938 and a 238 and try them both, in the pocket and on the firing line). One note: the 238 snaps just a little more, in my experience, than the 938. Both are very accurate, and in fact, I'm just as accurate if not more accurate with the 938 than I am with my G17.

·
Super Moderator
18,034 Posts
I believe the Smith and Wesson humpbacks are the best pocket guns going. There are aluminum and steel versions. My 49 below is steel.

You can shoot them single or double action, and they won't snag in your pocket.

View attachment 163730
My all time favorite DA/SA revolvers you have the choice of both and nothing to snag, load it with +Ps and you have a formidable weapon in a neat small package. For something in the semi-auto persuasion I tend to lean towards the Sig P238/P239 for something that is easily cancelable.

Reactions: Kilowatt3

·
Registered
712 Posts
I carry a Kel-Tec PF9. Accurate, reliable, inexpensive 9mm pocket gun that is very concealable. It also has a heavy double action trigger but no external safety which I don't have a problem with. I like it a lot. I also pocket carry a surplus Makarov and a P64 Polish Makarov ( the latter has a lot in common with a Walther PPK) Both are very accurate, reliable and the P64 especially small enough for a pocket. The 8x18mm is not quite as powerful as a 9mm Luger but definitely more nock down than a 380. The old KGB and the Stazzi have used them with great success since about 1958. If you don't like the idea of a surplus comme hand gun than try the one of the Kel-Tex's (pf9, p11 both 9mm or the p-3at 380). Good luck with your search

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I carry a Kel-Tec PF9. Accurate, reliable, inexpensive 9mm pocket gun that is very concealable. It also has a heavy double action trigger but no external safety which I don't have a problem with. I like it a lot. I also pocket carry a surplus Makarov and a P64 Polish Makarov ( the latter has a lot in common with a Walther PPK) Both are very accurate, reliable and the P64 especially small enough for a pocket. The 8x18mm is not quite as powerful as a 9mm Luger but definitely more nock down than a 380. The old KGB and the Stazzi have used them with great success since about 1958. If you don't like the idea of a surplus comme hand gun than try the one of the Kel-Tex's (pf9, p11 both 9mm or the p-3at 380). Good luck with your search
FYI the P64 is not a Makarove not even close though based on the PP/PPK as is the true Mak .

9 mak is a cross between 9mm and 380 chosen so NATO could not use USSR ammo in there gun in the event of war

And you can get a MAK pretty cheep they are good guns though most of them are not pocket guns unless you have deep pockets

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I pocket carry a S&W 640 pro from time to time any time I'm at work it is my BUG. One can get very good with a small revolver. Also being rounded it looks like you have keys and change in your pocket vs a gun. Might try one out if you haven't wrote of revolvers it seems all the small smith revolvers are good shooters at reasonable defensive distances.

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
I have to ask how proficient one is with a pocket gun? I am OK with duty sized, but I relent I'm not proficient with miniscule devices. I'm sure there are more skilled than myself.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My pants determine what I pocket carry. Some allow me to carry my Ruger LC9s, in others I can carry my Kahr CT380. The Kahr is the thinner of the two.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The P 238 is a much nicer gun than any of the LCP models.. Although its still a small gun, the P238 feels substantially bigger and heavier as a pocket carry than the LCP models do.
The SA trigger on the P238 is very light and short, and leaves no room for mishandling. I personally have both, and although I like the Sig better for its shootability, looks, ergonomics, and accuracy, I like the LCP Custom and LCP II better as everyday, all day carry weapons. I can't even feel them. The P238 is about as big a gun as I would want for pocket carry only .... bob

1 - 20 of 76 Posts