Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm searching into buying my first revolver , not for carry just for collection and some range fun! Any ideas and tips I'd appreciate it. Looking for a .357 thanks !!

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
In .357 you can never go wrong with a classic such as the S&W Model 19 or the S&W Model 27, both are fine examples of premium revolvers. But then there are other fine examples such as the Ruger Security Six series or the fine examples provided by Dan Wesson.

Mod15_R.JPG IMG_0707.JPG DW_3.JPG

·
Registered
786 Posts
The Ruger SP101 is a very nice five shooter. I like the 3" barrel but the 4.2" version with adjustable sights might better suit your intended use.

The popular Ruger GP100 is a sweet six shooter. Available in various barrel lengths also to suit one's particular application.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
I would go with something with a 4" or longer barrel. I like the Smith and Wesson 686 and Ruger GP100 personally. I have a GP100 and my dad has an older 686 and I prefer the 686, but both great guns.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the response guys! Deff gonna check them all out! Will update with purchase! Hope u all have a good Friday

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Ruger SP101 is a very nice five shooter. I like the 3" barrel but the 4.2" version with adjustable sights might better suit your intended use.

The popular Ruger GP100 is a sweet six shooter. Available in various barrel lengths also to suit one's particular application.

Been looking into the ruger sp101 thanks man!!

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
All above are fine ideas. Or...you could wait until the new (reintroduced) COLT revolvers hit the shelves! :image035:
....Just be prepared it may cost you a kidney...or more!

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
....Just be prepared it may cost you a kidney...or more!
5lima, I've never thought of you as a "glass-half-empty" kinda' guy? :blink:

Colt AR variants are fair values. Colt 1911 variants are fair values. Colt didn't DRIVE the snake gun prices up, Colt collectors & "The Walking Dead" did that. Colt is a business, and lately, seem to be paying MUCH more attention to the consumer market. That means they've gotta' build these "new" revolvers to a competitive price-point. (*I sure hope that I'm closer to correct than...YOU are! :yup:)

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
5lima, I've never thought of you as a "glass-half-empty" kinda' guy? :blink:

Colt AR variants are fair values. Colt 1911 variants are fair values. Colt didn't DRIVE the snake gun prices up, Colt collectors & "The Walking Dead" did that. Colt is a business, and lately, seem to be paying MUCH more attention to the consumer market. That means they've gotta' build these "new" revolvers to a competitive price-point. (*I sure hope that I'm closer to correct than...YOU are! :yup:)
Not sure what you refer to as variants? Colt Defense? Colt Manufacturing or clones?

Colt is a great brand name but a manufacture that has been plagued over the years by every problem imaginable, not the least of which is poor reliability, low demand not to mention crappy dealer/distributor support. Hope they get their act together soon.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
So I'm searching into buying my first revolver , not for carry just for collection and some range fun! Any ideas and tips I'd appreciate it. Looking for a .357 thanks !!
The vintage K Frame S&Ws that are still out there can be found at attractive prices or you might like a Ruger GP100. Cant go wrong there. It's hard to go wrong with Smith & Wesson or Ruger.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts