Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not shot a Rifle in over 40 years now. I would like to get into it and would like some advice on the type and the gauge .I am not sure what to start with I would like to be able to modify it in the days to come not right away but as I get into it more. Right now I shoot pistols I have a Walther 9mm And a Glock 40mm. And really want to get into rifles. Does any one have a favorite make and why. I am thinking long range shooting I would like to shoot 500 to say 1000 yards. I'm not really worried about the cost 3000. might be my limit But you never know. Like I stated I would like to upgrade it after time but not in any rush
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
How about Remington 700 LR in 30.06 and it has 26'' barrel. With Bell & Carson stock. I got one last year and with it with 175 grain bullet it's been sub-moa weapon at 1,000 yards. I paid little over $700 for it. The 30.06 shoots the heavy rounds little better then the 308 at real long range.

·
Registered
141 Posts
.300 win mag I have a browning bar and I like it. I would get a bolt action though but I got the bar for free.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
.300 win mag I have a browning bar and I like it. I would get a bolt action though but I got the bar for free.
I have the Rem 700P in 300 Win Mag and it will do the mile with no trouble. I thought a man starting out shooting a rifle, mag could put him off. Later on if he wants to step up he can.

·
Registered
249 Posts
A good 30.06, Mauser bolt action, and some good optics. Mine is a Sako Hunter that I've had for about 30 years for large caliber and long range, and a match rifle in .222 Remington. Was looking this past month for something a little more utilitarian in my suburbanizing neighborhood, and got an AR in 5.56 NATO,

·
Super Moderator
19,383 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't done much rifle shooting in a while, I would chart a course with graduated steps which include instruction. Want to start inexpensively? Get yourself a Ruger 10/22 - give it a trigger job, a sling, and a $100 scope and find an Appleseed Event near you. Once you make Rifleman, then you're off to a good start and ready to invest in pricier equipment and training.

I'll offer an example followed by a close friend. He invested in a Remington 700 5-R (so-called "mil spec" model, with asymmetrical rifling) in .308 and a 2-kilobuck Nightforce scope. Then he took two trips to Storm Mountain Training Center in WV to learn how to hit targets at known and unknown distances out to 800 yards. It was quite a journey, and he learned a lot. Unfortunately, it's a perishable skill and he just hasn't kept up with it, but that doesn't have to be your script.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
500 yds is a walk in the park compared to 1000. Learn to read the wind, mirage and lighting conditions. Remington 700 properly bedded and tuned up in 300 win mag (190 gr + Sierra Match king or Lapua's propelled by IMR 4895). Gonna need first class optics, good spotting scope to boot. Use a data book religiously. Mental concentration and meticulous attention to detail / consistency gets it done. When you get bored shooting "X's" at 500, then move out to 600-1000. I am jealous of anyone getting trigger time on those kinds of ranges.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The hottest rounds in the "tactical precision shooting game" right now appear to be the 6.5s (6.5 Creedmoor) and .243's with the 140s and 105-115 bullets.

You honestly don't need a .300WIN to ring steel or punch paper out to 1000. If you were sticking to 500 or under (or a little over), I'd get a .223 bolt gun with a 1-8 twist and shoot the 69 plus grainers. You don't say if you reload or not, and that can play a big role in your caliber as some calibers don't have the match grade ammo (heavier bullets) available over the counter.

For 3K, I'd look at a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor (If I didn't reload) or a .243 (if I did reload) for about $1500, and spend the rest on glass and a good bipod. There's lots of guy getting very good accuracy from this basic setup without any mods. I'm actually in the process of "downsizing" from a .300W to a 6.5 as soon as I can find one at a decent price.

As 1911srule, said 500 is relatively easy due to the effects of conditions really kicking in past that mark. I routinely shoot my .223 bolt gun at 500 with 69 grainers off my back deck at a Turkey swinger and 1st round hits are the norm regardless of wind.

Chuck

·
8,501 Posts
With a 3k price point the world is your oyster. There are too many options to list.

The one thing I would caution you about though is buying "too much" gun. DO NOT got out and buy a .338 lapua or .50 BMG. Buy a rifle in .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor and you will want to shoot it instead of crying from recoil and price per round.

Lastly your price breakdown should be about $1500 or less for the rifle, about $1200 for the scope and about $300 for rings, bases and any other "stuff".

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
First pick a caliber:

40 years is a lifetime. I would start with something that will not knock your dentures out unless you just have to hunt Rhino tomorrow. Then I would look for something that's cheap(ish) to shoot so you can do a ton of shooting and become proficient again. And yes, you will need to do a bunch of shooting in all kinds of positions!

How about a .223? Will it reach out to 500+ yards. Sure. Is it the best caliber to do it with? Nah. But you can't shoot 500, if you can't hit at 50. Use the .223 and get your game back.

Then figure out the action you want:

Long range shooting is generally a bolt action endeavour. Just about any bolt action can be modified to be more accurate than it is out of the box. So get a bolt in .223, destroy the barrel practicing, then have the the thing blueprinted, a custom bull barrel put on, the action bedded ... whatever you want to make it an even more accurate shooter and practice some more. How about one of these?

CZ 527 FS. Lovely little .223 with a single set trigger! Yum!

What's great about her is, when you are done abusing it, and are having it sent out for accurizing, you get her sister the 550 FS. Get the 550 in a caliber that'll really reach out and touch something, and begin practising with it until you burn out the barrel on it! She comes in a multitude of calibers, and because you've gotten good at the 527, will feel natural in the hand.

That's what I would recommend anyway. Like anything gun, trigger time is key. Note they make a rimfire version as well, so if you want to start a level lower in the caliber set up, you can go that route as well. Don't get me wrong, I love "big" guns, but learning on them isn't the best way to start for the majority of us no matter how recoil you think you can handle and how rich you say you are. Recoil is a cumulative thing, one or two shots - who cares. Throwin 100's downrange can give you - anyone a flinch and some bad habits.

Good Luck!! Have fun!

·
8,501 Posts
Because I'm anal about this type of stuff I did some snooping around. At the top of the links is some bargain basement type stuff that I find interesting and could turn out to be a great buy. Toward the bottom is the more proven and more expensive options.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_280/products_id/411556346/Howa+1500+6.5+Creedmore+24"+Heavy+Barrel+Combo+Green+Hogue+Stock

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_280/products_id/56002/Howa+5+++1+308+Win.+w24"+Heavy+BarrelBlack+Sythetic+Stock

Howa is a company that makes rifles on Browning's old production line in Japan. I think they represent a great value on paper but I don't own one so I can't say first hand. I like the 6.5 creed combo and in your shoes (new to the rifle thing) I would buy it and start taking baby steps toward the 1000 yard line. The first thing I'd do is shoot it. Then I'd get a reloading press and start making my own customized ammo. Lastly (after 1000 rounds or so) I'd cash in the cheap optic and put on a $1000 scope. Like I said, you can do this in baby steps and learn how to shoot BEFORE you spend $3K.

Next level is the Remington 700 and savage offerings. These rifles are solid, proven commodities that can be built up and customized as your skill set grows.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/95709/Remington+700+Police+308WIN+26+HB

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/719002200/REM+G2+700+5R+308+20TB+BSS+HS

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/71097/Savage+19137+12LRP+4+1+6.5CREED+26"

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/71098/Savage+12LRP+260+REM

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/97911/Savage+10FCP-SR+308+24"+10RD

Lastly, some things more exotic and expensive:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/70990/Savage+10BA+LE+308

Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor New 18005 NO RESERVE : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

As I said above, the world is your oyster.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just in case money is no object and you need to go out farther than 1000 yds :smile::smile:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
500 yds is a walk in the park compared to 1000. Learn to read the wind, mirage and lighting conditions. Remington 700 properly bedded and tuned up in 300 win mag (190 gr + Sierra Match king or Lapua's propelled by IMR 4895). Gonna need first class optics, good spotting scope to boot. Use a data book religiously. Mental concentration and meticulous attention to detail / consistency gets it done. When you get bored shooting "X's" at 500, then move out to 600-1000. I am jealous of anyone getting trigger time on those kinds of ranges.
I also like the 190's SMK for the 300 win mag. But for longer range I use the 200 grain SMK and the 208 A-max for the mile and 1,805 yards. For scope I run the newer Burris 5x25x50. For powder I like Reload 22 with CCI mag primers. :image035:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
After you get a good .22 rimfire look at heavy barreled .308 bolt action rifles keeping in mind that your scope may well cost more than your rifle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts