Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just got his CHP, and has his first pistol already (PX4 Storm Compact). What he's looking for is a small-of-the-back (SOB) holster, either IWB or OWB. He also wants an overhand grip, so the frame should oriented towards his right (he is a right-handed draw).

He's a little constrained by budget, so he is currently looking at this one: Small of Back / Crossdraw Holsters

Does anybody have experience/knowledge of this holster's quality and retention?
Alternatively, any other good options for him for SOB carry?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Check out Jim at jrcholsters.com. I have two of his SOB holsters - one for a 3" 1911 and one for an 2.25" SP101. It is a good product. SOB's aren't all that popular (with good reason), but they can be very useful and also very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The bad thing is there is no suck thing as a good cheap SOB holster. Unfortunately you will have to spend money for one that will last and retain your gun good enough and to be comfortable. I will suggest stealthgear, but then are deffenetly on the pricier side, or wright's leather works. I have had it for 3 years and is great.(the wrights is going on 2 years OWB and is the same). Still holds great, and looks brand new, but they are only IWB. a decent leather one inside or out side is going to cost you regardless it cheap or good. A kidex will be the same if you want it to last and be good. I have always been a believer in you get what you payed for, and with holsters you want something that you know will hold up no matter what...they are protecting a expensive and need to be a reliable hobby and sense of security.

Not saying there are not many here that use a cheep nylon holder and have never had a problem. Just saying spend more now worrie less latter

Just my 2 cent. Good luck

·
Registered
995 Posts
I had Side Guard Holsters make me one, but it wasn't cheap.

Could have been because it was for a Sigma 40 cal with a Crimson Trace trigger guard mounted laser.

I had it made for SOB, left hand, palm out draw with a 15 deg negative cant. (Leans left.)

I use it when riding my motorcycles. It rides under my motorcycle jacket and is for left hand draw while I throttle with my right hand. (I'm ambidextrous because I was born a lefty, But went to Military Schools all through the 60's where they taught us to use our right hands, because the Military didn't want to bother making guns for lefties. Once I graduated High School I was done with them and never went in the Military.) I'm still left hand dominant.

Love the holster and it works well for me. I also have a OWB 4 o'clock position, right hand draw holster for that pistol.

We use to have a saying, " You get what you pay for!"
You want cheap, you get cheap.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm not a fan of SOB holsters, and I'm still working to see if I can convince him otherwise. But thanks for some suggestions.

As for the cost, he is looking for "budget conscious", not necessarily "cheap", so we can look at all these options.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Small of back holsters hide things well. They have two drawbacks:

1. Never fall down on your back. Spines are remarkably fragile in that sense.

2. Obtaining - never mind 'draw' - the weapon while seated is horrible. While seated in car is even worse.

I suggest that as fodder to argue with your friend. I haven't used such a device in years.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
  2. Obtaining - never mind 'draw' - the weapon while seated is horrible. While seated in car is even worse.
I suggest that as fodder to argue with your friend. I haven't used such a device in years.
I've used those arguments before. Didn't work.

What I think IS starting to work is that I was able to show him the sheer volume of knowledgeable people saying it's not a great idea. So he's considering other options, but he may not have acquiesced, just yet.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Keep trying to dissuade the idea of SOB carry! He's covering (re: aiming at) his own right kidney every single TIME he draws his firearm. If he does any practicing of presentation from concealment, he playing (IMHO) with... an unpinned grenade. Just because it looked cool for Al Pachino in "Serpico" does NOT make it wise & prudent. :stop:

·
Registered
65 Posts

How true. I know of officers who have fallen and were forced into retirement due to the injury to their spine. Just not worth it. I know it looks cool on TV.

·
Registered
859 Posts
A friend of mine just got his CHP, and has his first pistol already (PX4 Storm Compact). What he's looking for is a small-of-the-back (SOB) holster, either IWB or OWB. He also wants an overhand grip, so the frame should oriented towards his right (he is a right-handed draw).

He's a little constrained by budget, so he is currently looking at this one: Small of Back / Crossdraw Holsters

Does anybody have experience/knowledge of this holster's quality and retention?
Alternatively, any other good options for him for SOB carry?
Without checking for a fit listing, here are several:

Elite SOB Back Holster

S.O.B. (SMALL OF BACK) Holsters, Small of the Back Holster, Concealed Holsters, DeSantisHolster.com

Small of Back Gun Holsters, SOB Holsters for Guns, Covert Gun Holsters, Holsters for Pistols, IDPA Holsters, Concealment Holsters

In my experience, 60 degrees positive caster as in the above, is ideal. Note that they are not worn over the spine, so disregard the hysteria that says otherwise. Ditto 'muzzling' yourself: the proper draw is muzzle out and then AWAY from your body, then AROUND to the target. Which, when you really think about a safe draw, is how EVERY holster should carry: to carry without muzzling the wearer, and allow a draw that doesn't muzzle the wearer. I.e., all holsters can be drawn from carelessly and thereby muzzle the wearer, but an excellent holster design doesn't REQUIRE muzzling from ANY carry position.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the recommendations and warnings, guys. It's in his court, now.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good news, guys! He decided to abandon the SOB carry. As of about 10 minutes ago, he ordered two AlienGear holsters (one IWB and one OWB), plus the Dock Mount to place his pistol by his bed at night.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I showed him the responses, so I'd like to say you were all helpful in me convincing him not to carry in that method.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Well done Jack! Your influence Kung fu is strong & wise. :congrats:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Good news, guys! He decided to abandon the SOB carry. As of about 10 minutes ago, he ordered two AlienGear holsters (one IWB and one OWB), plus the Dock Mount to place his pistol by his bed at night.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I showed him the responses, so I'd like to say you were all helpful in me convincing him not to carry in that method.
Then I'd say you picked from the least-informed advice in this thread for your "convincing'. Well-designed SOBs are as safe as the best OWBs; it's an old-wives tale , repeating what people have "heard" but don't know for themselves, that they aren't.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
SOB is probably the worst position to carry a firearm.. to each his own. Good luck

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well-designed SOBs are as safe as the best OWBs;
And while I can agree at the core, nobody seemed to provide any options. In fact, the few holster makers that I was pointed to from here and on other forums all replied with "ain't gonna do it", even after they apparently did it for others in the past.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts