Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My normal EDC is a P365 MS which I typically take to the range about ever other week along with other firearms. However, there are times I have to carry my LCP as circumstances allow pocket carry only.

I try to shoot the Ruger occasionally and can hit the target as well as needed for close work. But I sure do not enjoy the shooting. The little gun feels like it’s been hit with a ball peen hammer. I can stand it and I will continue to carry the reliable little pistol until I can find something with less snap.

My question is, Is there any 380 pistol about the size of an LCP that is softer shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Have you tried the LCP II? To be there isn't that big of a difference but some feel it is softer shooting. The Sig P-238 is by and large one of the most accurate and easy shooting .380's in my book. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
The original LCP is one of the snappiest recoiling pistol there is, IMHO. The LCP II is better due to the wider grip. I think that the Beretta Pico and Taurus TCP are two of the better ones, in terms of recoil only. Stepping up in size, the Sig 238, Kimber Micro 380, and Glock 42 are soft shooting, comparatively to the Ruger LCP.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a Glock 42 that was fun to shoot.

It was going to be my wife's EDC...she ended up really wanting a revolver though. So I sold it - to fund her S&W J frame 637.

All in all it was accurate and easy to handle. I liked shooting it but honestly, selling it meant I didn't have to stock .380 ammo for 1 gun...(I also prefer a revolver for my EDC).

A lot of ranges should to have one available to rent - check it out if the size is OK for you.

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a Glock 42 and a Sig 238. They both are fantastic shooters, have real usable sights, and totally absorb recoil so it feels like you’re shooting a 32 instead of a 380.
The Sig will cost about $125 more than the Glock and feels slightly smaller, but the Glock weighs slightly less. Can’t go wrong with either. Both have been 100% reliable through hundreds of rounds.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Look for a .380 that fires from a closed breach. Most are blow back action and have a weighted slide to resist the breach opening till the bullet has exited the barrel. That works but that extra weight of the slide makes more felt recoil as it comes to a stop at the end of the slides travel. And then as it slams forward it recoils again but in the other direction. Thats why .380's are concidered "Snappy".
Kimber, Colt, and sig all make a shrunken version of the 1911, complete with its swinging link action. All three of them lack that "Snappy" feel. Do your self a favor and try them. they are still small pistols but so much better! DR

·
Super Moderator
18,276 Posts
dangerranger hit the nail right on the head.

Some pretty meaty .380s that are larger, all-steel, with ample grip frames still deliver sharp recoil and it's because of the blow-back design. Even the very lightweight Ruger LCP or the Kel Tec P3AT that I have here are locked-breach designs and are more pleasant to fire than are the blow-back designs of yore and those better quality ones he mentions are better still.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
I like the S&W Bodyguard 380. It shoots much better than my LCP. It is very accurate and even Mrs OldChap loves it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I tried several small 380s and settled on the RM380. It's a little wider and a little heavier than most of the polymer offerings. The result is a soft shooting but still easy to conceal pocket gun.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
As far as 'micro' .380's, I have experience with the P3AT, the LCP, and the Kahr CW380.

While it's slightly larger than the P3AT or the Ruger, the Kahr is much more comfortable to shoot. It's also the most accurate of the three (in my hands, anyway), and has proven to be 100% reliable with good ammo after the first 100 rounds or so.

IMHO, it's head & shoulders above any other micro-.380, and is my 'deep concealment' SD pistol of choice. It's a pricier gun, but worth it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I tried several small 380s and settled on the RM380. It's a little wider and a little heavier than most of the polymer offerings. The result is a soft shooting but still easy to conceal pocket gun.
My wife and I both like the RM380. We have one each to keep in our vehicles and carry if needed.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Have you tried the LCP II? To be there isn't that big of a difference but some feel it is softer shooting. The Sig P-238 is by and large one of the most accurate and easy shooting .380's in my book. Good luck!
Yea, what he said! I'm with the rest Sig P238 all the way.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I recently read the Walther CCP M2 is coming out in a .380 version.
They say easy to rack and soft shooting.

https://waltherarms.com/ccp-m2-380/

I have a CCP M1 and it is a nice CC gun. I have had no issues with it. Great feel in hand. As far as felt recoil with the 9mm? I can't tell.
Then again, I don't find our EC/LC9s guns snappy either.

·
Premium Member
7,164 Posts
I also have both the Glock 42 and the SIG P238. The Glock has more perceived recoil than the SIG does and it also has a more "difficult" trigger, being somewhat gritty. The SIG trigger is SMOOTH............really smooth. The SIG is very easy to rack. The Glock is not. Neither of these are micro pistols, however.

Met a new man at our club range last week and he mentioned he has a Bodyguard .380 and absolutely hates it because the recoil is so nasty. It is (was) his only pistol. He doesn't shoot much but when he does it seems to be his .22 rifle. I let him shoot my P238 and he could not believe how much nicer it was to shoot than that Bodyguard.

Different strokes for different folks, and perceived recoil is whatever YOU perceive it to be in your own hands.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The P380 and RM380 are both comfortable to shoot. The P380 is more accurate.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts