Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts
Softest shooting .380 ACP that is similar in size and weight to the LCP is the Kahr CW380.

It will not shoot any of the exotic ammo because of the feed ramp design. It will shoot 95 gr fmj, XTP and Critical Defense without issue.
Agreed!

My CW380 is a whole lot softer-shooting than either the P3AT or the LCP. I dunno about the "exotic ammo", because I don't fool with it. I've had problems in all my .380's with steel-cased ammo, so I don't fool with it, either. I stick with name-brand FMJ for practice, and Hornady XTP for carry. No problems with either.

Mine has shot everything I've fed it except Perfecta fmj. Not a hiccup one with anything else. It is definitely a soft shooter, and extremely accurate for it's extra small size.
+1 on the soft shooting and accuracy!

Most guys have trouble with the screwdriver tip stuff.
"Most guys" don't waste their time with gimmick ammo!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Have you tried changing the grip? I've heard good things of the Hogue Handall changing the way an LCP / LCP II shoots enormously.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I tried several until I got a Sig P238. The weight soaks up a lot of the recoil and the trigger is great.

My first thought when I opened this thread is get something with a little weight. I carry and shoot my Walther PPK often enough to remain confident in it, and honestly don't mind shooting it at all - even with the wood Hogue grips on it.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Look for a .380 that fires from a closed breach. Most are blow back action and have a weighted slide to resist the breach opening till the bullet has exited the barrel. That works but that extra weight of the slide makes more felt recoil as it comes to a stop at the end of the slides travel. And then as it slams forward it recoils again but in the other direction. Thats why .380's are concidered "Snappy".
Kimber, Colt, and sig all make a shrunken version of the 1911, complete with its swinging link action. All three of them lack that "Snappy" feel. Do your self a favor and try them. they are still small pistols but so much better! DR

What an interesting point ... something I never thought of. This is great insight - thanks for posting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Look for a .380 that fires from a closed breach. Most are blow back action and have a weighted slide to resist the breach opening till the bullet has exited the barrel. That works but that extra weight of the slide makes more felt recoil as it comes to a stop at the end of the slides travel. And then as it slams forward it recoils again but in the other direction. Thats why .380's are concidered "Snappy".
Kimber, Colt, and sig all make a shrunken version of the 1911, complete with its swinging link action. All three of them lack that "Snappy" feel. Do your self a favor and try them. they are still small pistols but so much better! DR

What an interesting point ... something I never thought of. This is great insight - thanks for posting.
I would think most of the suggestions were locked breech design.

I know the Kahr CW380, Remington RM380 and S&W Bodyguard .380 all are. For that matter so are the P3AT and LCP.

One thing that makes it tough was the similar in size and weight to a Ruger LCP.
I still believe the Kahr CW380 is the softest shooting pocket pistol that meets all his criteria.

A 1911 style platform like the Sig P238 may be an option if he is willing to live with the cocked & locked with a manual safety setup in a pocket pistol but it will be longer, taller, thicker and heavier than his LCP.

PS I am not anti-1911 as I have a bunch. I'm just not sure that style platform fits his desires.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would think most of the suggestions were locked breech design.

I know the Kahr CW380, Remington RM380 and S&W Bodyguard .380 all are. For that matter so are the P3AT and LCP.

One thing that makes it tough was the similar in size and weight to a Ruger LCP.
I still believe the Kahr CW380 is the softest shooting pocket pistol that meets all his criteria.

A 1911 style platform like the Sig P238 may be an option if he is willing to live with the cocked & locked with a manual safety setup in a pocket pistol but it will be longer, taller, thicker and heavier than his LCP.

PS I am not anti-1911 as I have a bunch. I'm just not sure that style platform fits his desires.
I thought about a Kimber micro. I still may get one of the Shot Show specials because they're nicely priced but for that size and weight I carry my Kahr PM40. I'm freakishly recoil insensitive so even the pocket .40 feels pretty manageable to me but my CW380 is always in a pocket when I am either hanging around the house or take a quick jaunt out to get coffee or something in my sweats. Had a little problem getting it to feed +P Underwood hollow points. I think they're loaded a little longer because the Kahr would "shorten" the rounds when manually feeding them. Mine actually does great with the Xtreme Defender +P Underwoods though and for small calibers I don't consider them a gimmick any more. They are barrier blind and do some pretty impressive damage to jello. I have a bunch of .32's and .380's. All my pistols that feed the Xtreme Defenders get them. 9mm and up? I'm still old school hollow points but pocket pistol calibers need them.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I thought about a Kimber micro. I still may get one of the Shot Show specials because they're nicely priced but for that size and weight I carry my Kahr PM40. I'm freakishly recoil insensitive so even the pocket .40 feels pretty manageable to me but my CW380 is always in a pocket when I am either hanging around the house or take a quick jaunt out to get coffee or something in my sweats. Had a little problem getting it to feed +P Underwood hollow points. I think they're loaded a little longer because the Kahr would "shorten" the rounds when manually feeding them. Mine actually does great with the Xtreme Defender +P Underwoods though and for small calibers I don't consider them a gimmick any more. They are barrier blind and do some pretty impressive damage to jello. I have a bunch of .32's and .380's. All my pistols that feed the Xtreme Defenders get them. 9mm and up? I'm still old school hollow points but pocket pistol calibers need them.
The Extreme Defenders are the real thing. You're exactly right about the little pocket pistols. They need all the help they can get. I usually carry 4 spare mags for my Bodyguard 380 - 2 spares and the mag in the gun loaded with Precision One XTP loads and 2 spares loaded with Extreme Defenders. I replaced some good FMJ loads with the Extreme Defenders. It is easy to carry 4 mags for the Bodyguard in a small pouch that I used to carry two spare 9mm mags in.

By the way...I also carry Underwood Extreme Defenders in a Glock 32 (.357 Sig) with a threaded barrel that are sort of fast:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/357-sig-65-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=18785699397689

Reactions: Pocket Power

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Extreme Defenders are the real thing. You're exactly right about the little pocket pistols. They need all the help they can get. I usually carry 4 spare mags for my Bodyguard 380 - 2 spares and the mag in the gun loaded with Precision One XTP loads and 2 spares loaded with Extreme Defenders. I replaced some good FMJ loads with the Extreme Defenders. It is easy to carry 4 mags for the Bodyguard in a small pouch that I used to carry two spare 9mm mags in.

By the way...I also carry Underwood Extreme Defenders in a Glock 32 (.357 Sig) with a threaded barrel that are sort of fast:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/357-sig-65-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=18785699397689
My own wild hog carcass testing
has convinced me the Xtreme Defender is better than a stabilized FMJ. It has not convinced me that it is as good as a JHP. Much of the cavitation results in gel seem to be outside the threshold of where flesh damage occurs due to elasticity differences. Even a tumbling fmj or jhp seems to do more damage. I also have more feeding issues with the XP than the XTP (Under 3.25") or Critical Defense (3.25" or above).

My own test have shown that CD tends to penetrate deeper at higher velocity because it folds back farther reducing frontal area. At lower velocity the higher frontal area for velocity tends to make it stop short.

The XTP is inconsistent but I can live with a mushroomed 12.5" or a tumbling 16.5" in sub-3.25" pistols.

Currently:
LCP - American Gunner XTP
.380 EZ - Critical Defense

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything just explaining my thought process. Do what you are comfortable with. If that's WWB FMJ-FN so be it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The consistency is a good part of what I like about them. I don't like leaving it to chance if a bullet is going to penetrate after hitting heavy winter clothing or going through a wrist. It's all a role of the dice if and when we ever need to pull the trigger in a life and death situation but the Xtreme Defenders are more likely to give good penetration in a wider variety of circumstances. If the XD's weren't available I would rather use flat nose hard cast than any hollow points in mouse guns. And as you suggest YMMV. To each his own. It's all better than a sharp stick. Just carry if you can!

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
46 Posts
UPDATE: Took your advice and got a P238. It is much nicer to shoot than the trusty LCP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Somehow I missed this. If the manual of arms, size and weight works for you they are great pistols.

I know a lot of 1911 Carriers that carry one for a backup.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
The Glock 42 is the softest shooting, followed by the Kahr CW380. The Kahr will require a break-in period, but once it is, it's a sweet little pocket carry pistol.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
It’s just an issue of muzzle energy vs weight. You’re going to have heavy recoil with any gun that size in 380. Maybe step down the caliber to something like a 22lr and go with the new LCP22?

Carrying a 22lr wouldn’t be my first choice, but neither is a 380. With a 380, you’re already forced to use either FMJ or a JHP that doesn’t expand in order to get sufficient penetration, and you would have to do the same with a 22lr. Maybe load of some of the high velocity stuff and carry away. It’s not all bad, as you would be nearly doubling your magazine capacity as well, going up to 10+1 with the LCP22.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Glock 42 is the apex predator of EDC’s chambered in .380ACP.
Oh fer Cripessake. The G42 is as big as a durn Shield 9. Why bother carrying .380?
The Shield .380 EZ and Glock G42 are easily the number #1 and #2 Choices for new female shooters at our Club. I would say that if you shoot the G42 better than the G43, Shield or P365 that is a very good reason.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts