Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carried a 45 in the Army long ago. I have been thinking about adding a newer 1911 version to my small collection. I've looked on the internet at the major brands. Colt military style is over my price range and Rock Island is less than I'm willing to pay. The pistol I really like the looks of is the Springfield GI which looks like is not being made any longer. They still make the Military Spec. version but it looks more modern. What is the best way to find a pistol that's out of production? I go to gun shows every once in a while but it would just be luck to find one there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. As you can tell, I haven't traded in guns very much over the years.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
You could try looking on the internet auction sites like Gunbroker. I just did a quick look and found a used one on Gunbroker. There are likely more, I just didn't take a lot of time looking around.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah I would also suggest gunbroker, its definitely an A-Item gun you need in your collection! Ive had mine for about 4 years now. If you do get one I suggest you check out GuerrillaOutfitter.com for a holster that's where I got mine for a good price and it fits like a glove haha

·
Registered
289 Posts
Gunbroker.. Slickguns.. There are a few out there.. I have two Rock Island 1911's.. 9mm and 45acp... No complaints for either one... They really are good firearms and not as pricey as the SA's... I like the looks of the SA's.. Just can't get the wife to agree with spending that much..So getting my Cabot is out of the question :frown:

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
Just tried this site. Said it's unavailable. Is it spelled correctly? Always looking for good holster sites. Thanks!
guerrillaoutfitters.com

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I bought the Springfield Mil Spec a couple three years ago and it is an awesome gun. I know that it is not exactly what you are looking for, but it is darn close. I have been more then satisfied with mine.
I was issued my first 1911 in 1971 and the Mil Spec is everything that gun was and a whole lot more. You won't be unhappy with a Mil Spec. Really, it is a very good gun and, well, I could go on, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the Springfield Mil Spec a couple three years ago and it is an awesome gun. I know that it is not exactly what you are looking for, but it is darn close. I have been more then satisfied with mine.
I was issued my first 1911 in 1971 and the Mil Spec is everything that gun was and a whole lot more. You won't be unhappy with a Mil Spec. Really, it is a very good gun and, well, I could go on, but you get the idea.
Thanks, man. I was thinking that gun would be my fall back position. I haven't turned up anything yet on the internet, but I am in no big hurry. Glad to get a recommendation from a guy who carried the military sidearm.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
The Springer GI was discontinued if you want a good GI style 1911 CZ makes one that is heads and tails better than the
now defunct Springer ever was . However these guns while may make you feel like a retro shooter really are not great
to shoot. heavy triggers,hammerbite and boring slights get old fast. IMO when it comes to range time with a 1911 You need
modern parts..

·
Registered
6,662 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,275 Posts
The Springer GI was discontinued if you want a good GI style 1911 CZ makes one that is heads and tails better than the
now defunct Springer ever was . However these guns while may make you feel like a retro shooter really are not great
to shoot. heavy triggers,hammerbite and boring slights get old fast. IMO when it comes to range time with a 1911 You need
modern parts..
The CZ 1911 A1 was discontinued in 2015.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Armslist, gunbroker, cheaper than dirt and gun shows. I found and bought an old series 70 Colt Combat Commander a few years ago. It had some holster wear and minor scratches which make it look distinguished and robust. The only upgrade I added is the tritium sights. The trigger is very light and crisp. I paid less than $600. It's a range gun and not my EDC. I carry a Kahr P40 EDC. I bought a CZ P07 last Dec. 30th. When I find a cc holster for it; it will be my EDC after about 1000 rds. break in and reliability testing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Armslist, gunbroker, cheaper than dirt and gun shows. I found and bought an old series 70 Colt Combat Commander a few years ago. It had some holster wear and minor scratches which make it look distinguished and robust. The only upgrade I added is the tritium sights. The trigger is very light and crisp. I paid less than $600. It's a range gun and not my EDC. I carry a Kahr P40 EDC. I bought a CZ P07 last Dec. 30th. When I find a cc holster for it; it will be my EDC after about 1000 rds. break in and reliability testing.
Thanks! You are a lucky dog. I haven't had much luck at gun shows. Probably because I'm not that knowledgeable on all the manufacturers and specific firearms.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would save my pennies and get the Colt.
What model of Colt would I look for if I wanted it close to the military model? I found the 1991 series on the Colt website. Would that be one you would recommend?

·
Super Moderator
22,275 Posts
What model of Colt would I look for if I wanted it close to the military model? I found the 1991 series on the Colt website. Would that be one you would recommend?
The O1991 series are close to the old M1911A1s, but they do have the firing pin safety (which is unnoticeable externally), the Series 70 reproduction is also close, and it does not have the firing pin safety, it is also more money.

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
The 1911 in my avatar and below is a 1990-vintage Springfield 1911-A1. It has better sights than what Uncle had you carry, and it has a lowered ejection port, but other than that it's pretty darned close to a US military 1911. Springfield made a few variations of the basic 1911 over the years such that there must be tens of thousands of these around, and a diligent search should turn up some good ones that haven't been abused or "bubba'd" by some gunsmith-wannabe.

Mine had the Commander hammer installed with a trigger job primarily because I liked the look, along with the drop-in beavertail (no frame mods). The allen-head grip screws shown are now history, since Colt wisely knew you could tighten a slotted screw with a cartridge rim.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts