Defensive Carry banner

Which pistol should I purchase for EDC/Home Defense?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve been looking for an EDC pistol and I’ve narrowed it down to the SIG P320 XCOMPACT, G19 GEN5, G45, CZ P10 C, and the M&P 2.0 COMPACT.

I like them all.

Based on all the information I’ve gathered, most people seem to think the CZ and the M&P shoot slightly better than the others because of the low bore axis and superior ergonomics with a better stock trigger.

Nevertheless, since Sig fixed their drop safety issues, there’s not much I can knock the Sig for since I don’t mind the higher bore axis. The flat trigger is also nice and they come with night sights out the box.

On the other hand, the CZ apparently has issues with its firing pin, and drying firing the gun too often without a Snap Cap will break the pin. That's a little scary.

So my question...
Of all the firearms above, which would you guys personally take for your EDC and home protection if you could only have one and why?
I’ve heard most of the cons regarding the guns above, from the high bore axis of the Sig to the poor grip angle, trigger, plastic sights, and the lack of an undercut of the Glock. CZ having firing pin (breaking) issues and M&P not taking well to shooting cheap ammunition.

How difficult is it to conceal carry the G45 for someone with a smaller stature? The higher capacity on the 45 seems tempting.

I’d love to hear your thoughts so I could make an educated decision.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Personally, I like the M&P Compact 2.0, but for reasons you may not care about. I want the option of a manual safety, and I want it in .40. But even without those, I still like the M&P. It has all the packaging benefits of the Glock 19, with better ergonomics, at a lower price.

The SIG is nice. It's a premium model in its line, but at a premium price.

The G19 is the standard for this class of guns. But it's ergonomics are below some of the others, and it's value level is only mediocre. As far as the G45, the form factor doesn't make sense to me as a civilian concealed carry gun. Either the G19 or G17 make more sense.

The P10C is okay. It's taller than the G19 or Smith, for the same mag capacity.

I would look at the F509 Midsize also, and for a lower price alternative, the Canick TP9SF Elite One Series.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Haven't fired similar CZ's or Sigs, so can't comment too much on those. Between Glock and M&P, I give a slight edge to the M&P, as I feel it's a bit more gun for the money - better sights, ergonomics, slide serrations and magazines. But it's close.

For carry, I think the extra half-inch of the G45 could make a difference, or could not, it depends on the person and carry method. For me, it doesn't matter too much for concealment. For drawing it, a slightly longer grip can make it harder to clear the cover garment out of the way, but can also make it easier to get hold of the grip. Also, besides length, the shape of the backstrap is slightly different between the full-length and compact Glock grips, so you might want to handle both and see which feels like a better fit.

Reactions: QuickQuestionAnon

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
If you've never carried concealed before, you will have a learning curve as to what suits your needs and body type as well as your tolerance of bulk and weight. It is a trade off between the various factors; weight, size, capacity, etc. Ideally you would shoot them all before buying. At the least, try to handle them before choosing. If you must choose before handling and shooting, you can't go wrong with the M&P 2.0 COMPACT. It is a good place to start.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great feedback!

I do want to say, however... for anyone else making recommendations throughout this thread... Price should not be a determining factor when giving your suggestion.

I am more than willing to pay a premium price for any of the pistols listed above.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't fired similar CZ's or Sigs, so can't comment too much on those. Between Glock and M&P, I give a slight edge to the M&P, as I feel it's a bit more gun for the money - better sights, ergonomics, slide serrations and magazines. But it's close.

For carry, I think the extra half-inch of the G45 could make a difference, or could not, it depends on the person and carry method. For me, it doesn't matter too much for concealment. For drawing it, a slightly longer grip can make it harder to clear the cover garment out of the way, but can also make it easier to get hold of the grip. Also, besides length, the shape of the backstrap is slightly different between the full-length and compact Glock grips, so you might want to handle both and see which feels like a better fit.
Thanks for the feedback! What if I installed Apex Triggers on all of them with some TRUGLO Tritium sights as well? Would that change your decision?

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! What if I installed Apex Triggers on all of them with some TRUGLO Tritium sights as well? Would that change your decision?

View attachment 331893 View attachment 331894
On triggers, personally, I wouldn't trust most aftermarket options on a carry gun, as the original design is what was meant and tested for high reliability, and probably has better QC. I don't have any personal experience with it and I'm sure there are good options out there, but I've also heard of some falling apart.

On sights, if you plan to change them, I guess it's not a big deal. I still tend to think the M&P's dovetailed front sight is more robust than Glock's pinned, but that doesn't seem to be a big problem for anybody using Glocks.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
499 Posts
In that case you could go in the complete other direction. Look at the Wilson EDC X9. Tippy top quality but you'd be paying for it.

Great feedback!

View attachment 331892

I do want to say, however... for anyone else making recommendations throughout this thread... Price should not be a determining factor when giving your suggestion.

I am more than willing to pay a premium price for any of the pistols listed above.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In that case you could go in the complete other direction. Look at the Wilson EDC X9. Tippy top quality but you'd be paying for it.
lol, yes that's a lovely pistol. But it's also why I said I would be willing to pay a premium price for any of the pistols listed above. I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone selling any of the aforementioned pistols over $1000.00 USD. I don't think I'm willing to spend more than a thousand bucks on a pistol. Ideally, I'm looking at anything between $600 - $900. 😅

·
Registered
541 Posts
Personally, I like the M&P Compact 2.0, but for reasons you may not care about. I want the option of a manual safety, and I want it in .40. But even without those, I still like the M&P. It has all the packaging benefits of the Glock 19, with better ergonomics, at a lower price.

The SIG is nice. It's a premium model in its line, but at a premium price.

The G19 is the standard for this class of guns. But it's ergonomics are below some of the others, and it's value level is only mediocre. As far as the G45, the form factor doesn't make sense to me as a civilian concealed carry gun. Either the G19 or G17 make more sense.

The P10C is okay. It's taller than the G19 or Smith, for the same mag capacity.

I would look at the F509 Midsize also, and for a lower price alternative, the Canick TP9SF Elite One Series.
This.

I looked at the Glock. I looked at a bunch of Glocks. I was not impressed. They didn't feel right in my hand, too blocky, and felt off balance.

Buddy of mine has the Sig. He likes it. I felt the ergonomics were better than the Glock. Balance seemed better, but still felt a bit nose heavy to me.

I'd recommend the M&P (which is what I chose, however, like @BBMW , I went with 40, with the external safety. I'll never willingly carry a sidearm that doesn't have a safety. And no, I don't consider the little lever in the trigger a safety) Better ergonomics. Stainless steel rods in the composite frame. Better balance. You want the 9mm version. I have a friend that has one. Never bothered to ask if his had the external safety. He hasn't done anything to his and uses it in 3 gun competitions. I've heard of people putting Apex triggers in them. I never thought it needed it. I'm not really sensitive to trigger feel, however. The only complaint I've ever heard about these is some people thought the grip stippling was too aggressive. They must have really soft hands, because I love it being the way it is.

CZ. I haven't shot the model you mention. I do know that CZ makes some very fine guns. I have shot the 75B, and found it to be very accurate. My preference would be a different model, only because I tend to prefer all metal handguns.

Weight. Interestingly enough, i have found that my full size 1911, with an extra mag feels lighter than my M&P. On this, it may depend on the holster and belt.
You didn't mention your carry experience. You also didn't mention the caliber you were looking at, I had to infer it from the round count preference. May i suggest you read the sticky about a gun fitting your hand, (just to be on the safe side) that can be found here:

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Ideally you should try to shoot all the above (probably a few others too) and decide for yourself. They are all excellent guns and will work well for daily carry. For me I'd pick the Glock 19 Gen 5 all day long. Even though the M&P's do feel better in my hand, the G19 sits lower and I personally prefer the stock Glock trigger over the hinged trigger of the M&P. I'd be willing to bet that any of your choices will be similar in terms of accuracy, as it will boil down to the skill level of the one pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
If you had given a .45 acp option that is the direction I would have chosen! A Glock 30, Sig P-220, 1911, or Shield would be my top choice for HD in no particular order. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
My EDC and home defense gun is a Sig P320 Compact sporting 15+1. Enough for either role but for home it is backup for the AR pistol.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ideally you should try to shoot all the above (probably a few others too) and decide for yourself. They are all excellent guns and will work well for daily carry. For me I'd pick the Glock 19 Gen 5 all day long. Even though the M&P's do feel better in my hand, the G19 sits lower and I personally prefer the stock Glock trigger over the hinged trigger of the M&P. I'd be willing to bet that any of your choices will be similar in terms of accuracy, as it will boil down to the skill level of the one pulling the trigger.
I think Tundra5.7 sums it up well. All of the guns you mentioned are fantastic, and choosing between them really becomes a very personal thing. If at all possible, shoot as many of them as you can. There's a good likelihood you'll be in a far better position to choose then.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Go rent each of them at the range and try them out. Id probably use a G17, although Im currently using a G19.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've tried all the of them except the G45 and I love all of them which is why I'm asking for feedback from you guys. Because I love all of them pretty much equally but I can only afford one. I do prefer 9mm for carry though.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts