Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tactical style Semi Auto Rifle for Range and Home Defense chambered in 5.56/.223 that can be had for under $1K. I don't really know what my options are other than the AR15. I saw the Mini 14, but I wouldn't consider it tactical. Are there any other rifles worth considering in my budget??? I do want it to be able to shoot both 5.56 and .223. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
Make sure you get your rifle chambered in 5.56 in order to be able to shoot both. I'm a big fan of AR's, and you should be able to find a basic unit for under a grand, although with goodies it can get quite a bit more expensive. I've been pleased with my Bushmaster M4gery, and also heard good things about Rock River Arms.

There are also AK variants out there that have been chambered in 5.56, or Galil rifles, not sure about prices on those though.

They do have more "tactical" (for whatever that word actually means, I don't personally like in its current usage) Mini-14's with pistol grips and adjustable stocks and rails and whatnot.

If you go the AR route, make sure you get as many of the options you want on your initial purchase. Like I wanted a chrome lined barrel, 5.56 chamber, adjustable stock, 16.5" barrel, flat top reciever, ect...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Kel-Tec SU16, builtin folding stock, AR mags, American Made and very versitile.
Cheers

·
Registered
399 Posts
What exactly is "Tactical"? If you mean something with all the possible accessories, black stock instead of wood, folding stock, etc - the Mini-14 can do all that, too. Otherwise - well, I think the Mini-14 can do pretty much all the same stuff as the AR. Why do you consider it "not tactical"?

But there ARE AR's for < $1000 - priced similarly to the Mini-14, and with greater interchangeability of parts.

Siddhartha - thanks for the tip! One of the main reasons I decided against the Mini-14 was the magazines - I didn't know of other options that could take AR mags.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
mini 14 can be had with "tactical" skins but you will pay more for magazines. Something to think about is the 5.45X39 you can get them in AK or AR rifles maybe some others. Same caliber but ammo is super cheap compaired to .223/5.56

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I agree with the Kel-tec suggestion and the Remington 7615 is also a very usable model as well with a 870 style pump action and takes AR mags as well.

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Kel-Tec SU16, builtin folding stock, AR mags, American Made and very versitile.
Cheers
:danceban:

Just picked up one of these at the gun show this weekend. priced at $479 - a good chunk less than the Mini-14 or even bottom-end AR's. Shot it yesterday - pretty happy with it overall. Especially happy that it takes standard AR mags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts