Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I got my CWP last week and I've been carrying my VP9 every day since with the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0.

Now I have a dilemma. I'm 5'8" and 130lbs on a good day. Carrying a full size pistol is proving to be difficult, especially when sitting. I've tried extra cant, and I've tried moving my holster to 7 o clock instead of 8, but 8 is much more comfortable and easier to reach for (I'm left handed)

I love my VP9 and since purchasing it have rented tons of other guns. Nothing I've tried compares. I also don't want to compromise on round capacity. Being so slim, oversizing clothing at all leaves me swimming in them, so I'd rather avoid doing that.

I can get by with the VP9 through the winter, but once I start dressing warmer, it will be a no go.

Two other options I'm looking into are the P30SK and the Glock 19, the latter being one I've rented and did like ok.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Before giving up on the VP9 for summer carry, try carrying it at 10-12 area (appendix)...its very comfortable and by the sounds of it you have no beer belly so it should work good for you. Empty out your gun completely and put it in this position without a holster. If it feels alright try buying a dedicated AIWB holster.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
It's gonna' be tough for anyone to argue with a G19 OR a P30SK. I read your position on round capacity & know you're pretty recently into CWP carry. Yet take it from an ol' graybeard concealed carrier, almost EVERYone eventually decides to add a pocket gun (J-frame or self-shucker) to their rotation. Why not just go ahead and get it...out of the way? :image035:

·
Registered
606 Posts
The most comfortable setup I've found is alien gear holster with s&w shield. I did the mag guts +2 kit in the mag so now it's a super slim 9+1 9mm. Works great for me. When I want a bit more capacity I carry m&p compact.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts

G17 AIWB. Sit stand walk drive...never any issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
699 Posts
I know it's almost a joke around the forum because of how frequently the G19 is praised. That's not without cause. A primary reason I recommend Glock to newer CCers is the huge variety of holsters and mag carriers available. AND the fact that it's a very serviceable defensive gun. When I carry the G19, it's mostly in a Black Rhino AIWB holster. Conceals well under an untucked Tee.

That said, there are lot's of other, smaller choices. I'm just not partial to tiny guns when I can have a "fightin'" sized on on me. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a VP9 as my primary carry even in summer. I carry IWB at 4 o'clock. I also have a Beretta PX4 Storm compact in 9mm, it's more compact than the HK, but it's fatter since it is a double stack. It has the rotating barrel to help with recoil

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Hmm, I carry a single stack with extra mag. Don't feel under gunned. But that's me not you.
But you could always try a G26 and as it accepts both g17 and 19 mags.
And be sure to use a true gun belt. It makes all the difference.
You sound like a lefty. Might try a crossdraw position, I do and it works.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. I have a VP9 but it's difficult to carry it AIWB so I have an OWB from Raven concealment for colder weather. I do, however, carry a Sig P320c AIWB and it works fine. It's better than a Glock 19 for trigger pull and I'm just not a fan of stock glocks. Try one out at the range if you're interested.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Glock 19 is smaller than the VP9, but not that much smaller. The P30SK is a lot smaller, and a lot easier to conceal. You might even be able to use the VP9 mags for a full size spare. You'll have to check on that because I'm not sure, but I think they will fit. Along with similar grip angle, etc.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you want a single stack I carry a Walther PPS M2. Other people like the glock 43 and MP Shield

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't have a VP9, and if it is similar in size to the G19, as others have noted, you may want to try a single stack. I have an XDs 3.3 in 9mm, a Shield 40, a p938 (9mm), and a p238 (380 acp). The XDs and the Shield are similarly sized, but you can get mid mags or ext hold up to 9+1 for the XDs. I think the max for the Shield 9 is 8+1. My XDs and Shield are adequate shooters, and to me, easier to conceal and comfortably carry than the G19. That said, I'm more accurate with the 19, and there's something to be said about the greater 15+1 capacity of either the G19 or VP9. It's a tradeoff. Now, all of the above said, I'm very accurate with my p938, and nearly as accurate with my 238. AND, they carry like there's nothing there. But, they are single stack and 7+1.

Personally, I have the advantage (or disadvantage, depending on your perspective) of about 4" in height and 70# in weight. So the 19 or VP9 may be a bit more easy for me than for you. I'll tell you though, when I get lazy or just tired of the big 19, I head for one if the little Sigs. But anyway, you may want to give the p938, XDs or Shield in 9mm a try, so you don't have to add another caliber to the inventory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm approximately the same size and left handed as well. You're right it is difficult for us scrawny south paws to find a goldie locks combination of firearm and position. Here's the skinny on caliber and capacity. Short of popping someone the forehead (a small and mobile target) chances are you aren't going to kill them with pistol. so bluntly carrying a subcompact single stack .380 is a completely legitimate option. If you are really that worried about being a situation that necessitates more then six or seven rounds then you need to spend more time evaluating your situational awareness instead of magazine capacity because you're in situation where reloading should be the least of your concerns.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hk p2000 is also glock 19 size and I'm seeing them for really good deals these days. P320c and ppq work welll for me in any position as well. Maybe look at a Cz p01, sig p225/228/229, m&p compact, fns compact, or xdm compact. Or you can be one of the beta Cz p10c testers. There is so many great options these days

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you want a single stack I carry a Walther PPS M2. Other people like the glock 43 and MP Shield
Look at these three. Which ever one fits you best will work.
The Shield will have the most capacity with MagGuts at 9+1 or even 10+1
The G19 is great but no different than the VP9.

·
Registered
315 Posts
OK, at the risk of being 'po-fooed' here I'm going to suggest that you try a KelTec P11. Yeah,, I know, cheap little plastic gun, etc. I carry one in an Aleingear Tuck 2 appendix carry and it works great whether you're sitting , driving whatever. It holds 10 + 1 (It's DAO) or you can get a 12 or 15 round mag + one in the chamber. Compared to your VP9 it is 1.74 " shorter (Makes it more comfortable when sitting), it is 1.11" less in height and .32" less width and 11.56 oz. less in weight. I've had mine for over 20 years and have never had a problem with it. I've shot all kinds of different brands of ammo without a single failure. It is very comfortable to carry and doesn't cost a lot. I know a lot of folks have to have the big brand names but these little guns have proven themselves to be as reliable. It is easy to conceal and works great for warm weather carry. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The most comfortable setup I've found is alien gear holster with s&w shield. I did the mag guts +2 kit in the mag so now it's a super slim 9+1 9mm. Works great for me. When I want a bit more capacity I carry m&p compact.
I've done this as well with my shield but I use the Stealth gear Onyx and the Flex.
I'm in Mass so 10 rounds is all I get, but if you're outside of mass, maybe take a look at the M&P 9C.
I also carry one of those in a Stealthgear mini IWB. Really I'm hardpressed to be able to tell the difference
between the two while carrying, the 9C is a tiny bit thicker and heavier, but it accepts full sized mags (17 rounds)
, that's a nice mag to have on your belt (again I can only carry 10 here in mass though :mad: )

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a bunch of carry guns, if I really want to go small and light, I go with my Sig P938, or if really light, an LCP in a pocket holster...lately I am really liking the S&W SD40VE or SD9VE in a Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3...it is pretty light and thin for the huge capacity...thinner and lighter than my Glock 30's...reliable and inexpensive too...great pistols!! I find 3 o'clock with a little extra cant to be the most comfortable and concealable for me with the hybrid crossbreed style holsters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I went an looked at the PPS m2 and love the way it feels but can't stand the trigger. Lots of take up and the reset is really far out. At the moment I can't find an upgrade for it, only rumors of an Apex one coming out.
The grip on the shield is absolutely horrible imo. Long and thin, really uncomfortable. I get why they did it, but it needs more girth to sit right in my hand.
The Glock 43 seems to have the least amount of cons, but I can't bring myself to carry 6+1. I think the compromise might be a Taran Tactical +2.
I wish I could rent a P2000SK but I think my range might rent the P2000 (I know they have a P30). So I suppose I'll shoot that and then see how the SK handles at the shop.

The suggestions for trying appendix didn't work. I'd give it a shot again with something smaller, but I'm WAY worse off carrying the VP9 appendix than I am at 8 o clock. I can't even sit down without it digging into my stomach. I've since increased my alien gear to max cant, and it's much better for now, but still going to rough when the weather gets warmer.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Wow! So many guns, so many different triggers and methods of operation, grip angles, etc. Personally, I've narrowed my concealed carry guns down to just two: a Gen 4 Glock 19 for early morning walks and night time activities (as well as home defense with a Streamlight TLR-1 HL), and a Kahr CM9. They are both striker fired but the triggers are quite a bit different, however, I'm learning how to adapt to the Kahr by shooting the snot out of it at the range and in IDPA and BUG matches.

No doubt, I CAN carry the G19 in my old G26 holsters ... a Little FoxX IWB hybrid for 3:30, a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment for a tuckable abdomen IWB option and a couple kydex OWB holsters for cooler weather AND carrying the gun with the tac light attached. What I CAN'T do with the G19 that I can with the CM9 is slip a $19 IWB kydex holster behind my right hip AFTER I'm dressed and my belt is tightened ... and I CAN'T slip my G19 into my front pocket with a cheap Blackhawk nylon pocket holster and breeze in and out of local stores, etc. with nobody the wiser. I also CAN'T wear the G19 in a tuckable holster at 12:30 (11:30 for you), tuck in my shirt and go about my day. I can use all of those carry methods with the CM9.

The CM9 is just three ounces heavier (empty) than the new Ruger LCP II and just slightly larger dimensionally, but instead of .380 terminal ballistics I'm packing 124 grain Federal HST hollow points. That is VERY comforting and well worth the additional size and weight.

One thing to remember: 99.9% of those you encounter on any given day will never pay attention to any lumps under your shirt or in your pants pocket. If you are a legally licensed CC individual, let your confidence show. In other words, fake it until you make it.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to build an arsenal of pistols that each function slightly different. If I could have surgically altered my right thumb so it wouldn't prevent my Glock 43 from reliably going to slide lock (it kept riding down on the slide catch lever), I'd still be owning the two I had last fall. But, that was my reality. Find a local IDPA chapter and shoot a club match at least once a month with whatever guns you are CCing. In the event you ever need to use your weapon in self defense, that's when you'll be grateful for 1-2 guns that you are on intimate terms with.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts