Defensive Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current IWB holster for my Sig P229 is a Galco Kydex Triton holster. I wear it at the 3:00 position. I like everything about it except for the way it rides on me and my belts - too low to take advantage of the full combat grip.

So, I'm looking for suggestions of similarly designed IWB holsters that hold the grip higher up in relation to the belt line. Photos while wearing the holster are greatly appreciated!

I'm not opposed to leather, but the kydex just seemed to be slimmer, and it's molded, so retention is really good. I don't want an extreme cant. In fact, straight vertical would be fine with me. A sweat guard is nice. Lastly, my profession takes me in and out of courthouses and govt. buildings on a weekly, sometimes daily, basis. So, I need to be able to slip the holster off and on in the parking lot with as little fanfare as possible. That's why I like the single clip vs. multiple clips and/or snaps.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It's not kydex, but it is easy on and off and comfortable.

Milt Sparks SS II

SEMI-AUTO SUMMER SPECIAL 2 | Brownells

This is the way it will ride on the belt. Gives you a full combat grip on the draw.

The new INCOG holster is a joint development project between Haley Strategic Partners and G-Code Holsters. It can be worn in different positions and has clips for the belt.

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/INC/INCOG.html

In my opinion, a zero cant IWB holster for CC is going to print like hell at the 3 o'clock position. It will also need to ride pretty high to give you a good initial grab of the grip, which could and probably will cause stability issues with just a single belt clip. I know you live in Georgia and can CC or OC, so printing is a non issue with regards to the law.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Don't have a pic, but most all the Crossbreed Hybrid-types (I currently use a Tommy Theis) have several holes for the clips that allow you to adjust the ride height. I too have to disarm at times in the car, and have no problems doing so with both clips. There About the same as swapping out a paddle holster.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, looking for pictures of people wearing IWB, off-set single clip, high ride/combat grip, straight drop or slight cant holster, preferably at 3:00 position. Is that too much to ask? :smile:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Off set, single clip holsters are too unstable. Especially if they are high ride.

You are wanting a IWB holster to do something that it can't do well. But you can keep dreaming though.
Well thank you Debbie Downer. JUST KIDDING! What if I put the clip back in the center, is that doable?

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Off set, single clip holsters are too unstable. Especially if they are high ride.

You are wanting a IWB holster to do something that it can't do well. But you can keep dreaming though.
Totally agree. I have a High Noon, much like Ron (post #3), for my PPS. It is a light weight single stack, but I still sometimes wish I had two attachment points to keep it more stale. Other times (like when driving) I appreciate being able to tilt the pistol/holster.

I really like my Sideguardholster double clip for my steel frame CZ. You may want the double snap for more convenient on/off.
Side Guard Holsters - IWB Holster - Double Snap

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok, looking for pictures of people wearing IWB, off-set single clip, high ride/combat grip, straight drop or slight cant holster, preferably at 3:00 position. Is that too much to ask? :smile:
Sounds like it might just be, since most folks have figured out a better way to do it than the way you're describing.

Another vote for Milt Sparks SS II here.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Moderate weight guns become heavy guns with only one clip, and heavy guns become lighter with two clips. Tie a 3 lb. weight to your 3:00 o'clock belt loop and walk around for 5 minutes. Untie the 3 pounder, then tie a 1.5 lb. weight to your 6:00 o'clock belt loop and a 1.5 lb weight to your 2:00 o'clock belt loop and walk around for 5 minutes.

Edit to add: FWIW, I currently use a Crossbreed, and for the times I have to un-arm, I leave the holster on and just slip the gun in a Remora and the leave it in the vehicle like that. A holster may never be comfortable, but a good holster will never be uncomfortable. Remember too, that all leather holsters tend to wear over time at the seams from stitching, kydex is extremely durable.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Another vote for milt sparks summer special
+1 for the Milt Sparks....another good one that I recently acquired is the Gould & Goodrich IWB. At Midway they are listed as product number : 385909

Handgun holster Joint Gun accessory Hand Finger

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Handgun holster Gun accessory
Footwear Fashion accessory Leather
They say "necessity is the mother of invention". So, I went back into my pile-o'-holsters and pulled out an Uncle Mike's to tinker with. I'd previously altered it by having the clip moved down and back (you can kind of see the old stitch holes in the photo). I further modified it this afternoon at the bottom and got the grip just like I like it!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Handgun holster
Jeans Denim Handgun holster Waist Pocket
Ok. I just "pulled the trigger" on a Gold Star holster; $45.00 w/ free shipping. These are photos off the website; I'll post my own with comments after I get it.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
EDIT: Oops, sorry. Didn't see that you'd just sprung for a holster.

Here is a HBE Leatherworks' DC Special (of the COM series) IWB holster for a H&K P2000SK. It's a mid- or mid-to-low ride, I'd say, but with a bit of a forward cant. Exposes enough of the grip for me to easily and repeatably grab the grip fully.

HBE also offers a couple other designs. Such as a molded Kydex OWB that can be adapted (by HBE) to be IWB. Or the HBE Tuckable (stock photo from HBE's web site):

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. I just "pulled the trigger" on a Gold Star holster; $45.00 w/ free shipping. These are photos off the website; I'll post my own with comments after I get it.
Alright, after further research and several helpful posts from another site, I've cancelled my Gold Star and ordered a N82 professional model. [Aside - the Gold Star customer service was INCREDIBLE! I didn't have any issues or concerns, I just decided to go with a different holster]

Gun Handgun holster Gun accessory Revolver
Jeans Denim Handgun holster Waist Arm

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got my N82 Professional model holster late yesterday afternoon (looong story, but with happy ending thanks to very helpful person at USPS) and I've been wearing it ever since, except while sleeping. Impressions so far:

I've never tried one of the Crossbreed-type holsters, but this is more comfortable than any other single clip IWB holster I've ever tried.

I really like the full suede backing, so that the gun is completely cushioned and shielded from my body - no need for undershirt, and no sweaty/rusty gun.

It hides very well. I wore it around the house last night, under an un-tucked printed shirt, and no one said anything. I finally had to ask my youngest son (he's my "spotter") if he noticed anything, and then I lifted my shirt. His response was "Oh, wow."

Even though I advertised that I wanted a full combat grip, right now I'm using a kind of "pinch" grip to initially draw my gun (see next comment).

I LOVE the Twist Release system - it holds my gun more securely, but then releases it faster and easier, than any other tension retention system I've seen (maybe even faster than my OWB Atkins-style leather holster). One caveat - my P229 is the SAS model, so the trigger guard is slightly different from the standard guard. I think that is the reason that sometimes when I re-holster I have give it a little jiggle to get the "click".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.