Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the present, at night, I store my XDm up in my closet that is across the room from my bed. Not locked up but there is no way for my 4 year old girl, my oldest, to get it. I have been thinking about getting a lockbox to mount behind my bedside dresser. Something like a mini GunVault. Although they don’t make one for my XDm, I have recently been considering mounting a holster with retention like the Blackhawk Level 3 Serpa. While not locked in a vault, it will be hard for a young one to figure out. Keep in mind the XDm will only be stored there over night, what do you all think of this mode of storage? While some will say safe enough and others will condemn the mode of storage, I’d like to hear from all sides.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Personally, I would not underestimate the inquisitiveness of a four year old. I personally am not comfortable unless my gun is on my hip or in the GunVault. I would certainly recommend teaching your daughter about what to do if she sees a gun (look at the NRA Eddie Eagle program for kids: 1) Stop, 2) Don't touch, 3) Leave the area, 4) Tell an adult).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would certainly recommend teaching your daughter about what to do if she sees a gun
Of which I have been doing already. She knows never to handle a firearm and to tell an adult if she finds one or another kid is playing with one. She even knows that my pistol is our family secret and not to tell anyone. Whether she will tell anyone or not is to be determined, but I am taking the route to educate her and instill a healthy amount of respect. She knows that the gun can put her in the hospital and have to get lots of shots, something she can identify with and wants nothing to do with.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Here is how I handle it. My safe is my nighttable. It has a digital key pad. At night I leave the door slightly ajar. I can easily grab the pistol in the middle of the night if SHTF. Photos 2,3,4 are me lying in bed with my hand dropped down. If somebody walked into my bedroom uninvited I could slip my hand down and they will be in for a surprise. First thing in the morning I will lock the door as my feet hit the floor. My kids are 10,8 and 2. Normally the 10 or 8 year old will come down even to wake me up and one of them will close the door.

They understand that if they wish to see my guns I will give them to see after daddy check that it is unloaded. I have taught my kids the rules and how to check to see if the gun is unloaded.

One of my personal rules is " Guns out of the safe, all ammo is inside. With the door locked!!

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
As mentioned, never underestimate the abilities of a child to get their hands on your gun. How many times have we read of children accidentally shooting someone and the parents thought they had it secured. I would never risk it with my kid's life, not to mention the Federal penalties for leaving a gun accessible to a child.

Mine are in a GunVault along-side the bed. I don't have the bio-metric lock with the finger print reader, just the regular four finger combo buttons. But I can have that gun into action very quickly, even in the dark. I really like it.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I still reccommend that in addition to everything else, putting a key lock on bedroom door.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Another vote for the GunVault. I use the security cable to tie it to my bedframe. I have a 4 year old who is very good and listens very well... when people are around. I would never leave any of my guns around.

Plus, the GunVault by your bed would be much easier to access than your XDm in your closet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
GunVault, by far the best option. It's worth the $100 or so to have your weapon handy. I come home and swap out my daily carry with a larger pistol every night - the one that's not on my person is in the GunVault. My wife knows the combination but the kids do not - and since they've been given a lot of guidance on what to do when they see a gun they've not been curious (thankfully).

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Of which I have been doing already. She knows never to handle a firearm and to tell an adult if she finds one or another kid is playing with one. She even knows that my pistol is our family secret and not to tell anyone. Whether she will tell anyone or not is to be determined, but I am taking the route to educate her and instill a healthy amount of respect. She knows that the gun can put her in the hospital and have to get lots of shots, something she can identify with and wants nothing to do with.
:congrats: Great job, Dad! Keep it up!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like the GunVault is the way to go. I'll be looking out for good deals. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Seems like the GunVault is the way to go. I'll be looking out for good deals. Thanks for all the input.
There are a few authorized GunVault dealers on eBay. That was the best value that I found.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I recommend the larger model Gun Vault Multi

The small one only holds one pistol and there is no room for anything else. if you have the room, the Multivault has 2 shelves which can accommodate both an additional pistol, mags or other valuables.

My .02 cents.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
:hand10:The GunVault:yup:
Cheaper than any accident, or mishap responsibility...:yup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
We as responsible gun owners, must never forget the most important thing regarding kids and guns. If you can't afford to lock your weapon out of a childs reach, via GunVault or similar device, you shouldn't have the gun. Your childs (or a visiting child) safety should come first.

Any of us who have children realizes the curious nature they posess, and as stated so perfectly before me, they are well behaved and wouldn't break the rules "when people are around". As soon as on of their friends comes over and the opportunity to "show off" happens, all bets are off. A high shelf, or a "hiding place" are not enough to insure a childs safety.

My kids are trained (indoctrinated is probably a better word) but I as the parent must ensure that I have done my part to keep them safe. Legal ramifications or "responsibility" are of little concern to me if the unthinkable were to happen.

Just my .02 to keep the big picture in mind.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello! I've been a lurker for several years now; first post.

I've got young ones, too, that are 10 and 11. I've used several different quick access safes/boxes for securing my firearms over the years. The Gun Vault is always a good choice. My wife has had a little bit of difficulty opening the one I have used for the bedroom over the last couple of years, so I gave it to my brother and got a Stack On Low Profile Quick Access Safe a few months ago. It was pretty inexpensive, has some good features and opens quickly and reliably. I paid about $50 for it. It has been a good compromise for the both of us. I actually think I like it more than the Gun Vault the more I use it.

Hope this is of help and gives you an additional option.

Stack-On | Strong Box Quick Access Safes

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I do the same... and you've gotten very good advise on the gun vault. A good way to do it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a small safe installed in my bedroom floor when I first bought my house. It's mainly used for important documents and such now but when I had a roommate with a kid it worked perfectly for securing my guns. I just put a rug and a chair over it and neither of them ever had any idea it was there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts