Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a .45 cal pistol with a shorter grip height than my SIG (for better concealment). So far the best options I've found are not very satisfactory (to me).

#1 Glock G30 - while it is a .45 with a shorter grip, and is thinner than my SIG...it is still a Glock and I'm not impressed.

#2 .40 cal...their are several that would fit the bill, but I don't think I want to go to a smaller cal gun...I have a PF9 that I don't carry much any more, because I love my SIG so much. Sure wish SIG made a smaller .45

A couple of other possibilities are the Kimber Ultra Carry (but I've never been a big fan of 1911's) and S&W - M&P45C (don't really know much about this one yet).

I realize I'm probably going to have to compromise somewhere...I'm just not sure where the compromise will be. Hopefully, someone can lead me to something I haven't seen yet.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Sig P245

Since you favor a Sig P220 but find it too large, the obvious alternative is the smaller Sig P245 or the new P220 Compact. Both of these .45s are a lot easier to conceal than the P220. Here is one of Lunde's photos of the P245:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
There is also the Sig P250 SC. in .45 cal. Hard to find but a bit smaller.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should clarify that I have a P220 Carry, though not much difference is size.

I have looked at all of the SIG's...and the ones that are shorter are only .5" difference at best, same with the XD.

Thanks for the replies...the search continues.

I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to give up on the .45 to get much smaller.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would go with the Glock 30sf. 10+1! It's also a bit smaller than the XDc and M&Pc.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to give up on the .45 to get much smaller.
Yeah... you might. I'd check out the G30 or a Kahr. If those dont work for you, I'd start looking at .40's.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You should give me that oversized Sig 220. PM me for transfer info! The obvious candidates seem to be the 220 Carry or 220 Compact as mentioned.

I’ve got a Glock 30 and if weren’t for my undying love for the Glock 19, I’d carry my G30 as my primary carry gun. I have no ego when it comes to guns I’ll bet my life on and I’m open to anything that works best for me personally. For example, the XD and M&P are very nice guns, but they don’t offer ME anything that my Glocks don’t.

If you’re not impressed by a compact, 10 round, reliable, accurate, soft-shooting .45 ACP, then maybe the Glock 30 isn’t for you. It may not be the greatest handgun of all time, but it is a great gun, especially for carry. Don’t count it out.

The M&P45 is also a very nice gun.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
As I understand it the Sig 220 carry has the same size grip as the 220, only the barrel is shorter.

Since you are now considering another caliber...I went through the same delima and added a Glock 27 to my arsenal to have a smaller and lighter alternative to the XD .45 Compact. I am very comfortable carrying 10 rounds of .40 with another 10 (Glock + 1 mag) on my side.

·
Registered
34 Posts
- - - - Snip - - - - ...the search continues.

You want a small, thin, light (26.8 ounces loaded with 6+1 230 grain HydroShok's) 100% reliable and reasonably priced .45?

Take a look at the Taurus Millennium Pro PT745.

BTW I also own a Sig P220. I think you'll be impressed with this little Taurus PT745.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I'm guessing that yhou have not picked up the Glock-36?:embarassed::rolleyes::confused:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm guessing that yhou have not picked up the Glock-36?:embarassed::rolleyes::confused:
You're right, I haven't, but the G30 is virtually the same size as a G36 (only .2" wider) plus I would get 4 more rounds :confused:

I'm considering a Glock more and more...I don't know why I'm so "gun shy" about Glocks...never even owned one. I'm just not comfortable with the trigger (can you say Plaxico?)...I know, I know, he just did a dumbsh_t thing all the way around.

Since I am having a hard time getting over the .45 thing...maybe I just need to give in and try a G30 with a siderlock or trigger block until I get comfortable with it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions they are really helping me think this thru.:boese51:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should give me that oversized Sig 220. PM me for transfer info! The obvious candidates seem to be the 220 Carry or 220 Compact as mentioned.
Actually, it IS a 220 Carry and you're not getting it:twak:

It is, and will continue to be, my favorite pistol...bar none. It serves as my bedside blaster, and will still be my primary carry when I wear a jacket. However, It has to be pretty cold for me to wear a jacket and I always take it off when I go indoors.

I’ve got a Glock 30 and if weren’t for my undying love for the Glock 19, I’d carry my G30 as my primary carry gun. I have no ego when it comes to guns I’ll bet my life on and I’m open to anything that works best for me personally. For example, the XD and M&P are very nice guns, but they don’t offer ME anything that my Glocks don’t.

If you’re not impressed by a compact, 10 round, reliable, accurate, soft-shooting .45 ACP, then maybe the Glock 30 isn’t for you. It may not be the greatest handgun of all time, but it is a great gun, especially for carry. Don’t count it out.

The M&P45 is also a very nice gun.
I am really leaning towards the G30, so at least I can say I tried a Glock. Too many people who are, I'm sure, smarter and more experienced than me that think Glocks are great...guess I need to quit being so stubborn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts