Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a Defensive Edged Weapons class at the end of the month and I have to get a folding knife.

I'm taking the class for the heck of it, and I don't want to blow a ton of money on a knife.

Can anyone suggest a decent folding knife that isn't junk, but isn't going to burn a hole in my pocket?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not that it matters, but who is the Instructor???

Other then that go to your locale knife shop and start picking up some knives. Find what fits best in your hands and then make your choice. There are a lot of good knives out there. Good luck.

Brian

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Indeed Jamie - more knives out there than you can shake a stick at!!!

I'd consider if something around $50 is possible - the Kershaw Scallion - I got one to downsize a bit - more pocket comfort but I still find it very ideal for daily carry. It would also then suit well after the course with Chris. It is a fast opener. I still want a Kershaw BOA but that is up more like $90.

Here's a pic for you -

·
Registered
737 Posts
Spyderco Endura, or the Para-Military if you have a bit more to spend. The Endura is an absolutely incredible knife for the money, they recently updated it and did a hell of a job. This is coming from a confirmed knife snob BTW. Yes, Spydercos are funny looking, but you had better believe that they work, and the service you get from the company is great as well.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Spyderco: Delica or Endura
Cold Steel: one of the Voyager series
Benchmade: Griptilian
CRKT: lots of decent stuff

Try to find a knife store, or a gun store that sells a variety of knives so you can go in a handle some different ones.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i know SOG has gotten a bad rep for its handling of its military employees (assuming its not an urban legend) but i love my SOG Tomcat.
a beefy, well-sized folder that is amazingly tough.
about 100 bucks but well worth it in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sad thing is the two gun shops closest to me closed down in the last couple months. I don't know any shops in the area that carry knives.

I'll probable go on a road trip early next week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love my SOG Flash II. Never without it. I just added a Sog Gov-Tac (fixed blade) to my collection. I love SOG knives.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
SPI-DER-COE (Spyderco) .......I have the Police model that's fully serated and it cuts like a mini chainsaw. Nothing with a liner lock for me. JMHO -------

·
Registered
835 Posts
Kershaw Vapor

I think I paid 24 bucks for it at wally world. It's not a great knife, but it's good enough to use in a classroom.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's Some Knives to take a Gander At

Knives are where all my money goes. I skip meals so I can go into my little knife corner and roll about on the floor while frothing at the mouth and clutching my collection and cackling loudly.

Anyway, I have a nice little selection broken down by brand. I have to toot the horn of Benchmade as they are my personal fav, but a bit on the pricey side. Take a loot at the knife section...

http://store.knifesupplycompany.com/knives.html

Within Benchmade, the mini-Griptilian's are a comfortable knife and very sturdy. Blackwater gear has a few nice folders. And, of course United has so many it'll make your eyes burn.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Cole

1 - 14 of 14 Posts