Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a job change later this year that will put me in dress slacks.

So far, for no other reason than I like revolvers in small sizes over mouse guns, I've avoided 380.

Well my time has come where I might need some deep concealment pocket carry.

I currently can stick a j-frame in a pocket but it's usually in baggy shorts with plenty of room and comfort is not an issue. My jeans don't fit the 38 as well as my shorts do, but it's manageable. That said, if I'm wearing jeans, my top is generally an untucked button down so I just carry my double stack 9mm IWB those days.

I'm looking for people that have front pocket carried a j-frame in all types of attire, dress and casual, and what your experiences are? Do you have tips for anyone looking to make it a main mode of carry? Type of pocket holster? Did you have your pants pocket tailored to accommodate the j-frame?

I'm currently saving up for a MP340 for I have always wanted a snub 357 but they're obviously on the pricier side. The LCP might have to take the cake due to ease of carry and concealment.

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
I pocket carried my LCR (357) with boot grip and S&W 38-3 for quite a while, often in jeans. The only problem it presented was printing, as the grip tended to create a fairly gun-like shape against the fabric. Some pocket holsters for 380s include a flap on the outside that covers the grip to prevent this, but I couldn't find such a design for revolvers, so I improvised by putting a large square of plastic in the pocket first, then putting the holstered gun to the inside of that. It works well enough, but it's important to make sure the material is stiff and won't find a way to twist or bend that might risk touching the trigger.

Btw, if you're planning to carry magnums, I'd highly recommend renting a 340 to try before putting down the cash. Those things are probably going to hurt, a lot. The LCR is as light as I'd care to go for .357, and has a much more forgiving grip. Even that's a handful.

Reactions: Rooster

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I'm not an advocate of the.380 acp either. Big fan of pocket-packed J-Frames. BTW - the reason that men's pants are called "slacks" is because there's supposed to be some...SLACK IN THEM! :surprised:

Pleated Pockets MATTER! Pleated Pockets MATTER! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
Seems like I am just slightly ahead of you, and in the same boat.

I recently started a new career where discretion is needed, and I've had to adjust my theology after a career in LE carrying whatever I wanted, without scrutiny.

So far this week, the S&W BG 380 in a Sticky holster has worked very well, although I may eventually go to a Kydex holster for additional thinness.....but this has carried and hid very well for me thus far.
IMG_2797.jpg IMG_2798.jpg

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like I am just slightly ahead of you, and in the same boat.

I recently started a new career where discretion is needed, and I've had to adjust my theology after a career in LE carrying whatever I wanted, without scrutiny.

So far this week, the S&W BG 380 in a Sticky holster has worked very well, although I may eventually go to a Kydex holster for additional thinness.....but this has carried and hid very well for me thus far.
View attachment 183098 View attachment 183106
I was really close to getting one yesterday. With the rebate, the price is great.

I talked myself out of it because I don't need the pocket mouse gun at this very moment. The rebate is good until June 30th, so I may change my mind until then.

Does anyone know if Ruger ever does Mail In Rebates like we're seeing currently from S&W?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I carry, (and am carrying right now as I type this in the office) a 642 in Khakis with a tucked in shirt. My suggestion is to take your gun with you when you go to try on pants. Different brands and styles have different pockets. You need one loose enough that it draws easy and is easy to get your hand in and deep enough that the grip can't be seen. If someone stares at my pocket they might think something is in there but in 14 or so years of carrying this way at work no one has ever said a thing. I use a simple uncle mikes #3 pocket holster. I find pressing against my thigh as I draw ensures the holster stays in the pocket.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
For a slim profile, +1 on the Sticky holster. If I wear jeans or tactical pants and have more room and I am less worried about printing, I like the UTG 3.9" Ambidextrous Pocket Holster, which is only $5.97 on Amazon. It fits my LCR, J-Frame and Sig P290 equally well and the side pocket can hold a speed strip without any additional bulge.

IMG_0764.jpg IMG_0763.jpg

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Nope, I can't even with my LCP in dress pants for work. Tuckable IWB would be the only way, but it's a new job and I won't risk it at this point.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think an LCP 2 is in my future.

I really want to keep to 9mm but I just don't think a truly pocketable mouse 9mm exists.

The Diamondback DB9 is close, but anyone that's done any web research knows they can be hit or miss. It's a shame. If they were reliable, they'd sell like hotcakes and everyone would have one in their arsenal.

To anyone reading with a reliable DB9: Hold on to it. I want to like the gun, but can't justify a possible project piece that might be going back and forth to the manufacturer several times before it gets sold off out of frustration.

Even then I'm a glutton for punishment and might convince myself to give it a try.

Or I can buy an LCP 2 and cave to the 380 and likely have a trouble free pocket rocket.

·
Registered
863 Posts
For a slim profile, +1 on the Sticky holster. If I wear jeans or tactical pants and have more room and I am less worried about printing, I like the UTG 3.9" Ambidextrous Pocket Holster, which is only $5.97 on Amazon. It fits my LCR, J-Frame and Sig P290 equally well and the side pocket can hold a speed strip without any additional bulge.

View attachment 183154 View attachment 183162
I use that same exact holster for my LCR .38 and a reload strip in the side pouch. It fits fantastic in my pocket and it prints less than my nemesis holster. I keep the speed strip in the holster but usually carry it in my left front pocket so the holster is slimmer in my pocket.

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
I can only pocket a revolver if my shirt is untucked. My large thighs make it print otherwise.

For professional attire in dress slacks with a tucked shirt, the micro .380 is the way to go.

The original LCP and Bodyguard seem to both be about $200 now, which is a screaming deal.

I carry two pocketed LCPs and one spare mag daily in dress attire. The spare ammo for the .380s is much easier to carry than for a revolver. The amazing thing is two LCPs weigh less than one G26.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can only pocket a revolver if my shirt is untucked. My large thighs make it print otherwise.

For professional attire in dress slacks with a tucked shirt, the micro .380 is the way to go.

The original LCP and Bodyguard seem to both be about $200 now, which is a screaming deal.

I carry two pocketed LCPs and one spare mag daily in dress attire. The spare ammo for the .380s is much easier to carry than for a revolver. The amazing thing is two LCPs weigh less than one G26.
I almost bought one yesterday. I like the BG380 to the LCP 1 but I liked the LCP 2 to the BG380.

No screaming deal for me, but a fine pistol and likely my next purchase. The trigger on the LCP 2 compared to the BG380 was night and day.

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
If you shoot revolvers in DA, then the LCP or Bodyguard triggers should be no issue.

I think Ruger made a mistake with the LCP II. It's slightly larger and heavier than the original, and I don't want a fully cocked SA trigger in my pocket.

We have three gen 1 LCPs in the house, and their much maligned triggers are fine with me.

You might also want to look at the Remington RM380.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you shoot revolvers in DA, then the LCP or Bodyguard triggers should be no issue.

I think Ruger made a mistake with the LCP II. It's slightly larger and heavier than the original, and I don't want a fully cocked SA trigger in my pocket.

We have three gen 1 LCPs in the house, and their much maligned triggers are fine with me.

You prove a valid point about the full cocked SA trigger. I hadn't read into it deeply and just assumed it was another striker fired.

That LCP is quite affordable right now at less than $200. :scratchchin:

I think you just convinced me to order an LCP 1 next week.

I would get it today but the money delegated has already been put back into coffers and I don't want to deal with SWMBO again when it's cheap enough to get with my allowance next pay day.

"What? This old thing? Had it for years!"

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Use a QUALITY pocket holster, don't put ANYTHING other than the gun, in the holster, in that pocket. Amazingly, some people put change and keys in the same pocket as the gun. Stupid idea.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts

Yes it is 1 to 1.2 ounces heavier. Not a difference that matters.
The trigger is very safe. Use a pocket holster and don't play with the gun in your pocket.

The dimensional differences are minimal at best. The LCPII is a very good pocket pistol.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts

I agree.
If you spend time actually drawing and firing the gun from the pocket in a training course, instead of casually drawing and firing at the range, I have found that for me, I don't want to be trying to clear the pocket and fumble around with a small safety.

Reactions: 5lima30ret
1 - 20 of 61 Posts