Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From bygone times.

RARE - LASD Pistol Team Exhibition, Historic, 1936, Color enhanced - YouTube

Opens up with some fairly scary trick shooting (don't do this at home kiddies) then proceeds to a range session. Not so different than today really. Some of the stances are odd and even a hilarious yet obviously serious one-footed engagement of the targets. Some rapid-fire shooting is accomplished, thumbcocking the double-action revolver with good hits registered. See the combat course of fire at 10:00 or so with the one-footed technique seen at 10:58. See the officer shoot the Thompson at around 14:40. It's a sure bet that his steadiness, exhibited during the burst, is an indication that he's spent some time behind the "Chopper" before.

Glimpses of pre-war revolvers, a 6-inch Smith & Wesson Military & Police and a 6-inch Colt Official Police, may be seen but not in a lot of detail.

I don't know that the officers shown in the segment would come off looking so poorly against most modern lawmen or competitors.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I still think they're nuts.

I keep expecting Sgt Joe Friday to step into the camera and tell them they're nuts.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Now that's old school POLICE right there! Break out the Buchiemer black jacks and long barrel six-guns boys, and have at it!!

·
Super Moderator
22,291 Posts
From bygone times.

RARE - LASD Pistol Team Exhibition, Historic, 1936, Color enhanced - YouTube

Opens up with some fairly scary trick shooting (don't do this at home kiddies) then proceeds to a range session. Not so different than today really. Some of the stances are odd and even a hilarious yet obviously serious one-footed engagement of the targets. Some rapid-fire shooting is accomplished, thumbcocking the double-action revolver with good hits registered. See the combat course of fire at 10:00 or so with the one-footed technique seen at 10:58. See the officer shoot the Thompson at around 14:40. It's a sure bet that his steadiness, exhibited during the burst, is an indication that he's spent some time behind the "Chopper" before.

Glimpses of pre-war revolvers, a 6-inch Smith & Wesson Military & Police and a 6-inch Colt Official Police, may be seen but not in a lot of detail.

I don't know that the officers shown in the segment would come off looking so poorly against most modern lawmen or competitors.
Very cool! Some of the boys were even using 1911s (around 15:35)

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Well, I thought it was awesome.

·
Super Moderator
18,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very cool! Some of the boys were even using 1911s (around 15:35)
Oh yeah. Forgot to mention that. Back when, if you wanted a .45 automatic, your choice was Colt, and only Colt! Not so sure we're so much better off with 9 jillion different 1911-style clones in short, medium, and full-sized models and all done up with "special sauce, three kinds of cheese on a toasted sesame seed bun." But hey, it's America and we need choices. Got ... to .... have ... choices... Mindless choices on occasion perhaps, but we gotta have 'em!

I'm grateful I came of shooting age back in the Age of the American Colt .45 Automatic, in all its guises.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...when you become aware of your "mindlessness", there're a long list of us who'll help you get rid of all your nonessential weapons...and I'm first on the list...
Oh yeah. Forgot to mention that. Back when, if you wanted a .45 automatic, your choice was Colt, and only Colt! Not so sure we're so much better off with 9 jillion different 1911-style clones in short, medium, and full-sized models and all done up with "special sauce, three kinds of cheese on a toasted sesame seed bun." But hey, it's America and we need choices. Got ... to .... have ... choices... Mindless choices on occasion perhaps, but we gotta have 'em!

I'm grateful I came of shooting age back in the Age of the American Colt .45 Automatic, in all its guises.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Very cool, some good shooting for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
The guys with 1911's were Navy.

Great shooting skills though and full service afterwords.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts