Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Cherish your memories of the time spent with her and she will never be gone.

My mother just turned 94 yesterday and my aunt made 97 in November. Both still live with me. I know their time is getting close but, you are never truly prepared for it.

God Bless.

·
Super Moderator
19,228 Posts
TS, it sounds like your Grandma had a tremendously full life!

I'm sorry for your loss, but my, what stories that woman could tell! I would hope the celebration of her life among all her progeny greatly outshadows any sense of mourning among your family.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
TS, it sounds like your Grandma had a tremendously full life!

I'm sorry for your loss, but my, what stories that woman could tell! I would hope the celebration of her life among all her progeny greatly outshadows any sense of mourning among your family.
Her Mother, my Great Grandma was 103 when she passed away.
Her funeral was a joyful event. Some of the people at her church were upset because the Family were laughing and joking while we shared memories of her.
I expect Grandma's will be very similar.

She enjoyed a rich and full life.
I grew up listening to stories of the gravel camps in central and northern Minnesota during the depression. Civilian Conservation Corp where my Grandpa worked during that same time.
The changes in farming technology. She experienced the shift from horse and steam power to gasoline/diesel tractors personally.

Not long ago one of the Great Great grandchildren had an assignment for history. He asked her what new technology had the most significant impact in her lifetime?
She said the telephone when it became commonplace in homes. She told a story of a relative that passed away and she didn't find out for a month or more. Today phones are small enough and affordable enough that almost everyone carries one with them regularly.

Sorry, am just rambling. Has been a long day. G'night and God Bless!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I lost both sets of my Grandparents before I was a teenager. Now both parents and my one sibling are gone......I'm the only one left from my original family, its a sobering thing.

Enjoy telling all the great stories!!!!

With the blessings of technology, those of us still alive should assign younger generations to interview, on video, our oldest relatives....when they go, all that knowledge and perspective is lost.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss of a beloved family member.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Speaking to the Great Physician about you and the whole family, that He might bring you the peace that passes all understanding.

Funerals for believers should be occasions of joy - joy for the knowledge of where she is, that you have the promise of seeing her again, the honor and joy of knowing her for so many years, and experiencing all the joy and happiness she brought to the family.

I am so thankful for the years I served as a Hospice Chaplain. I got to communicate all that joy that can be ours when we face the final terror of death - which, for a believer, is more like looking at a door to a better life about to open for us. There is a sign on that door that says, "Even though you should die, yet shall you live."

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Just in case they don't find my original post...

Speaking to the Great Physician to provide you and all the family with the peace that passes all understanding.

EDIT: Miracles Never Cease!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
So sorry for your loss... What a blessing it was for her and your sweet family for her to be so vital and independent for so long. All those great memories and stories of the past... There's never a good time to lose a beloved Grandma but how great was it that her Mom lived a long life as well! Prayers and hugs to your family... The celebration of Grandma's life will be amazing. Take good care of your health too... Your genes favor longevity and may your life, too, be long and happy God Bless u and your family

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My deepest condolences go out to you and your family during this challenging time. May the Lord comfort your hearts and give you the strength to endure and bond together as a family!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I lost my Mom three weeks ago, so I know the pain. Hang on to the memories.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Speaking to the Great Physician about you and the whole family, that He might bring you the peace that passes all understanding.

Funerals for believers should be occasions of joy - joy for the knowledge of where she is, that you have the promise of seeing her again, the honor and joy of knowing her for so many years, and experiencing all the joy and happiness she brought to the family.

I am so thankful for the years I served as a Hospice Chaplain. I got to communicate all that joy that can be ours when we face the final terror of death - which, for a believer, is more like looking at a door to a better life about to open for us. There is a sign on that door that says, "Even though you should die, yet shall you live."
We have been blessed with long life in my Family.
My Great Grandma was 103 when she passed. Her funeral was noisy with lots of memories and laughter. There were some who thought we were being disrespectful.
I like to think she was having a ball watching us remember good times with her.

We decided to have a memorial service Mother's Day weekend (she would've been 102) to give Family time to plan (we're scattered in all directions) and make the trip in better weather than our Minnesota winter. I expect it will be a time of stories, memories, laughter and maybe a few tears too.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, but especially for the respect shown here.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts