Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as I was walking around wally world today, I began to wonder about retail stores security. I know the average sheeple doesn't notice that bulge under our slightly baggy shirts, but isn't it the loss prevention guys' job to look for stuff like that?

So I was wondering if anyone has been stopped by a store security type wanting to know what you had stuffed under your shirt.

How did (or would) you handle this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
pull it in tight with a good holster and there shouldn't be a bulge...

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Never been made, consealed well ; )

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Never been stopped by loss prevention type since I began carrying back in the mid 90's. If I did I would tell them it was a lawfully carried weapon.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
You honestly think the loss prevention guys are looking for concealed carriers? They are looking for shoplifters. They also have video cameras to tip them off. Only times I've drawn an eye in a Wal Mart is when I carried openly in Kansas, and even then nobody approached me or said anything, and I wasn't followed throughout the store.

Reactions: rhinokrk

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I carry a Glock19 under a tee shirt and have never been made. Most people don't have a clue unless they also carry.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
If I go to WW alone I usually get made by the greeter and loss prevention. But I OC when I'm alone. :image035: Never been made CC'ing and never been bothered when OC'ing.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I carry a Glock19 under a tee shirt and have never been made. Most people don't have a clue unless they also carry.
Yep, If I'm not acting suspiciously like a shoplifter I doubt they even notice me.

There probably noticing my kids terrorizing the toy department.:danceban:

·
Registered
358 Posts
You honestly think the loss prevention guys are looking for concealed carriers? They are looking for shoplifters. They also have video cameras to tip them off. Only times I've drawn an eye in a Wal Mart is when I carried openly in Kansas, and even then nobody approached me or said anything, and I wasn't followed throughout the store.
I'm pretty confident that he meant "has a loss prevention officer ever mistaken your bulge for something shoplifted?" and not that they were looking for CCW people.

·
Registered
895 Posts
a retail loss prevention officer can not randomly stop people and ask what they have under their clothing..it's illegal and leaves the store wide open for lawsuits...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have started to watch more for people CCing. I saw a guy that was printing today a WM. I just kept on walking...

·
Registered
358 Posts
a retail loss prevention officer can not randomly stop people and ask what they have under their clothing..it's illegal and leaves the store wide open for lawsuits...
That or me an indecency charge when I show them. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
In many states LP officers must witness theft/concealment of goods, so if you have a bulge they might think they missed something, but will lose interest once you seem normal/boring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They are also not very well trained, they are not LE.
I've never been made, but I have made at least two people here in Florida that could have afforded a slightly larger tee shirt...

Jess

·
Registered
669 Posts
I worked loss prevention for 5 years (at a large, upscale dept store) before getting into probation (sad, I could not have gotten the job w/o a college degree).

Too busy looking for shoplifters to meet the quotas they set for us. There are also steps involved in watching people enter the dept, select the merch, conceal it and leave the dept/store.

Looking for concealed carry was not in our minds.

Even if someone had a huge bulge from a gun and ya thought it could be a stolen item - without seeing the concealment, there is nothing that LP could do.

And, if you live in a concealed carry permit state - it doesn't matter anyway.

You worry too much :p

Only thing LP is looking for is the next theft, caught in action.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ive never been made as of yet, but you know that is a good question. Makes me wonder about that as well :rolleyes:

·
Banned
116 Posts
Wrong. He can stop and ask if he has a reason to believe you may be shoplifting. There is nothing unlawful about asking people questions. Can he use any force to restrain you? This I don't know about but in general I would think they would not; they try to intimidate you into compliance. But there is no reason not to step aside with him, show him your permit, and move on. No big deal.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm pretty confident that he meant "has a loss prevention officer ever mistaken your bulge for something shoplifted?" and not that they were looking for CCW people.
Yep, that's what I meant.

shipwreck: Not worried, just curious. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I currently work loss prevention for a department store. The only time I look for any kind of weapon is if I'm watching someone who I suspect of shoplifting. Its written in my company policy that if I see a weapon I have to call PD and let the subject go if they leave before PD shows up.

Even if I get a report from another employee of someone with a gun (rare) I'll watch them for a few minutes until I decide they're acting normal or see a badge.

Edit: If I am making a stop of a shoplifter, I am allowed to use reasonable force to restrain someone and bring them back to my office.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wrong. He can stop and ask if he has a reason to believe you may be shoplifting. There is nothing unlawful about asking people questions. Can he use any force to restrain you? This I don't know about but in general I would think they would not; they try to intimidate you into compliance. But there is no reason not to step aside with him, show him your permit, and move on. No big deal.
Different states provide loss prevention with different levels of authority and the use of force. In most states, if you're shoplifting, they can use force to restrain you.

Again, this varies by state.

b

1 - 20 of 60 Posts