Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday a friend of over 20 years called again, I had been putting the call off and using excuses because I had a a feeling where this call was going to go but I was wrong, she even took it further than I had imagined.

She brought up politics, then quickly said “I don’t talk politics“ right after she gave me her opinion??? Does this mean I can’t have an opinion too?

Derangement syndrome! Oh My! I do get that she lost a brother when young due to guns however it was in a bar in the 70’s so with drinking involved sure there is more than a gun to the story.

It wasn’t just guns, they are in the Raleigh area and she is blaming all this protesting and stuff on the president?!!! So, now I ask her where she herd that, and then her voice changes and shes almost growling and says; You must watch __ (network)!

I told her I read a lot of news but enjoy the guns and really do like the president. [dead silence]

I can be friends with someone that votes or believes different. What is up with folks like this?

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
That is, unfortunately, the current socially acceptable liberal response to conservatism - if you don't agree with me you can't have a legitimate opinion. I think part of it is based on the fear that if they listen to you it will make sense and they will have to change positions. I am sorry your friend drank the kool-aide.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Sister, as I have said before, I have relatives who no longer speak to me because I hunt and own guns, as well as friends who had abandoned me for the same reasons. I think it's inevitable, unfortunately, in the way the world is today. It is very sad.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
People change. If she's unwilling to be civil, move on, her loss. I know that sounds cold and ends years of investment in a friendship, but being friends requires both parties to value the relationship over current events, and it sounds like she's already chosen politics over you. Plant new seeds in fertile soil, tend them, and the void will be filled.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I lost three friends to Covid... I mean, they're not dead, I just had to delete them from Facebook because I was tired of being called a racist for just mentioning that Covid came from China (which is a country, not a race). Lost two friends to the riots as well, I mean, they weren't killed, they just de-friended me! I keep telling people that only one segment of our population can just let people be with different political viewpoints. I am fine with your viewpoint, only one segment of our country can honestly say, you're entitled to your own opinion. Only one!

·
Registered
419 Posts
My mother in law is a diehard democrat who watches CNN and thinks republicans are mean people.
She voted for Obama and Hillary. Thinks Biden is the next president. Has TDS big league....
My wife has the same views as I. To keep her happy I just avoid talking any type of politics or social injustice topics with MIL around.
I just tell her..you know my opinion so lets just end it here and discuss something else..
We're both adults so we change the subject.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I lost three friends to Covid... I mean, they're not dead, I just had to delete them from Facebook because I was tired of being called a racist for just mentioning that Covid came from China (which is a country, not a race). Lost two friends to the riots as well, I mean, they weren't killed, they just de-friended me! I keep telling people that only one segment of our population can just let people be with different political viewpoints. I am fine with your viewpoint, only one segment of our country can honestly say, you're entitled to your own opinion. Only one!

I got the Covid thing from her too, forgot that part on the first post. Was DRILLED on where I went and if I covered my face? WTH? Honestly, for several reasons (other stories w same friend) I believe this is for the best, hate it but yeah she drank the coolaid. We are being careful with the China virus but not anal about it.

·
Premium Member
3,974 Posts
I’m sorry Sister. Some things cannot be saved and it hurts when it all goes bad. Many of us have been there. I try to remind folks, myself as well, that there were times when neighbors could share a cookout on a Sunday, burgers and beers, and be at completely opposite ends of the political spectrum. And those times can remain. We desperately need those times to remain. Maybe we just talk around some things. Maybe we know when to stop. Maybe we roll in the dirt and scuff one another up a bit, because of differing views, and then brush the metaphorical dirt off each other and have another beer. But we’ve gotta find the center again. We all need it.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Maybe im different, but if people don’t want to be friends with me because I don’t share their views that are a threat to the life I want to live, then I say “well...bye!”

·
Super Moderator
23,239 Posts
Please keep this focused on guns and the 2A.

The issue is real enough when limited to guns, we don't need to expand on the hate for other reasons.

🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
I have had the discussion with a few friends and family members. Many do not like guns .
I usually ask if our differences are enough to quit loving me or dissolving a friendship.
So all have agreed to just enjoy what we have in common and leave the rest alone.
I have one niece I am still working on, she has not come around yet, but she will. I love her very much,

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
My Mom is a die-hard liberal. My brother and I are conservative. She hates all guns. My brother and I have have guns and enjoy shooting them. We've learned to just not talk guns or politics.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe im different, but if people don’t want to be friends with me because I don’t share their views that are a threat to the life I want to live, then I say “well...bye!”
I have several friends of 20-30 years, we have each other’s phone number and addresses as I do not do FB.

TBH, they didn‘t change but I did. I grew out of our lifestyle which was more less a liberal lifestyle (in my 20’s, not proud of the wildness). After this the invites to visit were few and far between from them. Still, I wanted to keep my friends and do love them like family.

My brother put it this way....NEXT 😉

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s a sad, but true reality, the snowflake liberals. I try to see it this way- if a friend disagrees with my point of view to the extent that they no longer wish to be my friend, were they really a friend? I have been blessed that if a conversation is spiraling, I try to just agree that we disagree and move on. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully in time the feelings will pass. Kinda sucks to see that happen. But in this cancel culture, we, the silent majority, need to be silent no more. After some pain, only then will it change. God bless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
That is, unfortunately, the current socially acceptable liberal response to conservatism - if you don't agree with me you can't have a legitimate opinion. I think part of it is based on the fear that if they listen to you it will make sense and they will have to change positions. I am sorry your friend drank the kool-aide.
Actually, that is not limited to liberals, unfortunately. I belong to a FB page with retired Army guys on it. Mostly conservative. Two guys whom I have known for decades said that if anyone posts anything anti-Trump they will unfriend them.

I stay out of politics. But I unfriended them myself just because of the attitude. More of a symbolic gesture since I doubt they will notice I am not one of their 200 friends anymore :)

A have a Conservative cousin with the same attitude. I keep her as a friend though. We were and are best friends for over 50 years now.

And of course, I have seen the same immature crap coming from my lifetime friends as well, whom I have all unfriended because of the immature stance they have, not because of the political beliefs.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
We are living in times that separate friends and families. It's a shame, really, that people cannot be more open minded and respect the opinions and choices of other people, whatever those may be. There are just too many people stumbling through life with blinders on these days.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
This "My way or the highway" attitude (towards guns) has been growing within our culture for some time. There are radicals on both sides of the political spectrum. All we can do is be our best to good advocates for what we believe, but with compassion and respect towards other.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts