Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Life is too short to surround yourself with people whose ideals and beliefs allow them to vote for people who want to destroy your way of life. I have removed those family members and "friends" (even though I have never had any friends who fit in that category, might have had some "acquaintance's" but no more) who fit in that category.

Life is better - sun shines brighter, grass is greener, etc... :D, because of this.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
:rolleyes: Getting old is great, after asking myself a question I forget who asked it and answer. We never fight 😃

Reactions: leadfarmer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sadly this happens even on forums like this where anyone who disagrees with a moderator is banned forever, called a troll or other disparaging names.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
I have a tough situation with this that I can't just toss aside. My oldest daughter, mother to two of my granddaughters used to be a fan of Ann Coulter and even invited me to go shooting once at the NRA HQ range. But now she is an Assistant AG for VA and has become a huge Democrat ultra liberal anti-gunner. She lives in the same neighborhood as Tim Kaine and is a minor friend of his.

A few Christmases ago I was sitting at her kitchen table talking to my other son-in-law (my other daughter's husband) who is liberal, but reasonable, and he was asking me sensible, non-political questions about AK-47s (I don't remember how it came up). My daughter, who was in the next room, came flying in and started chewing my backside about my views on guns, forbade me from talking guns in her house and from carrying in her house, which she had no evidence I had ever done, she just assumed.

I tried to reason with her calmly, but she just amp'ed it up, so I calmly said I was leaving and got my coat. She said, "NO! We are going to talk about this, right now." She followed me out towards the car, verbally hitting all my hot buttons, which she is very good at. Finally, I cut loose on her with a tirade she couldn't even answer. I meant every word I said, but I shouldn't have said it. But I have a line and if someone intentionally crosses it, they are going to get return fire.

We have been semi-estranged since, although lately I get to see the grandkids occasionally. BTW, I am just answering the OP. Please don't try to give me any advice on this. It will not be welcome.

·
Registered
Various
15,582 Posts
I had a very good friend in the Navy when I was stationed in Charleston, South Carolina. My new wife and I went to a drive-in movie with him and his girlfriend. His girlfriend was a very religious Southern Belle from a wealthy family.

We were having a great time laughing and talking. His girlfriend announced they had just got engaged to be married. We congratulated them.

I asked when the date was. She said the Fourth of July. I was thinking fireworks displays and said, "So you are starting married life with a bang," She took it a different way and did not speak for the rest of the movie or drive home. My friend was never allowed to be around me again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about marriages and other intimate relationships ending cos of differences over guns. Has happened to me several times

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had a very good friend in the Navy when I was stationed in Charleston, South Carolina. My new wife and I went to a drive-in movie with him and his girlfriend. His girlfriend was a very religious Southern Belle from a wealthy family.

We were having a great time laughing and talking. His girlfriend announced they had just got engaged to be married. We congratulated them.

I asked when the date was. She said the Fourth of July. I was thinking fireworks displays and said, "So you are starting married life with a bang," She took it a different way and did not speak for the rest of the movie or drive home. My friend was never allowed to be around me again.
I can’t give this a Like LC, that is sad. Hope you don’t judge the rest of us Southern women by that one. Never been shy about telling folks that I LOVE JESUS, however....being a Southern “Lady”, most of us know better than to be that rude. BTW, I do not believe in being religious (very different than relationship w Jesus) folks using man made laws is what runs folks off.

Sorry that happened to you, the young woman missed out on getting to know an awesome man, I think your a great person and do hope the two of us get to see you again one day AND meet the lovely red head you married! ❤

·
Registered
Various
15,582 Posts
I can’t give this a Like LC, that is sad. Hope you don’t judge the rest of us Southern women by that one. Never been shy about telling folks that I LOVE JESUS, however....being a Southern “Lady”, most of us know better than to be that rude. BTW, I do not believe in being religious (very different than relationship w Jesus) folks using man made laws is what runs folks off.

Sorry that happened to you, the young woman missed out on getting to know an awesome man, I think your a great person and do hope the two of us get to see you again one day AND meet the lovely red head you married! ❤
I never judge a group by one person. She was a very wealthy spoiled brat who didn't tolerate anything she didn't agree with.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
She was a very wealthy spoiled brat who didn't tolerate anything she didn't agree with.
You sure she wasn't related to Pelosi or any one of the others protesting today?

·
Super Moderator
23,244 Posts
Sadly this happens even on forums like this where anyone who disagrees with a moderator is banned forever, called a troll or other disparaging names.
Examples, please?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't talk politics, religion or guns with people I know to hold different views than me. I just change the subject as politely as I can because I have learned that those discussions are usually an exercise in futility. If someone insists on knowing my views, I have a pretty standard reply:

"I don't talk politics because I don't want to argue with people I like. I am not religious in the usual sense but it is fine with me if you are. I believe I have those rights guaranteed by the Constitution and I believe in obeying the law as best I can. Finally, I believe the world can be a dangerous place and it is foolhardy to go unarmed if you don't have to."

Not complicated and not likely to change.

·
Registered
34,034 Posts
That's a bit of a stretch. Those here who have been booted for disagreeing with a Mod got what was coming for being an Maggie in a very public manner, often repetitively. I've disagreed with Mods by PM, maintained a level of politeness in stating my points, and am still here (Gomer says, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"). I didn't exactly win any disagreements, but I feel there was a bit of understanding gained on both ends.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Yesterday a friend of over 20 years called again, I had been putting the call off and using excuses because I had a a feeling where this call was going to go but I was wrong, she even took it further than I had imagined.

She brought up politics, then quickly said “I don’t talk politics“ right after she gave me her opinion??? Does this mean I can’t have an opinion too?

Derangement syndrome! Oh My! I do get that she lost a brother when young due to guns however it was in a bar in the 70’s so with drinking involved sure there is more than a gun to the story.

It wasn’t just guns, they are in the Raleigh area and she is blaming all this protesting and stuff on the president?!!! So, now I ask her where she herd that, and then her voice changes and shes almost growling and says; You must watch __ (network)!

I told her I read a lot of news but enjoy the guns and really do like the president. [dead silence]

I can be friends with someone that votes or believes different. What is up with folks like this?
I am not all that concerned about a persons politics or their religious beliefs. If I like the person, if the relationship holds a realistic relevance and they manage to enrich my life to the degree that certain negative aspects of their personal constitution are subdued.. I can be friends. We all have negative elements to our personalities and personal belief systems. To me, maintaining a friendship is all about the balance. When I say "enrich" I do not mean money or things.

At the point that negative elements within a persons belief system ( in my view) begin to weigh more than their potential to enrich my life. I have no desire to maintain that relationship. With FAMILY it may be different but with friends, the above method holds true. QUESTION: Do I like you and Do you make my life better -vs- whatever disagreement I may have with your beliefs. If it gets to 50/50.. I am out. Most of my relationships with friends hover around the 85/15 ratio. Birds of a feather, as they say.

I have friends who hate Trump. I also have friends to hate gun and would prefer they are all banned. They never troubled me with their beliefs and any mention of them has always been superficial and inconsequential. I don't mind disagreement, I have had many disagreements with my friends.. but as I said, once the positive aspects of our relationship begins to weigh as much as the pain of being friends... I am out.

·
Registered
Pistoleer
455 Posts
There are a few old friends from 20+ years ago that I considered in recent years contacting but with the gun subject the way it is and now the other things going on I have decided to not contact them after all. They have been living out in CA all their lives and the odds of them having a problem with my views is very high.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have very few friends. Some semi-close acquaintances. Not my preference, but it is what it is. Hard for me to get close to many people, trust issues on my side, as well as a lot of times my dry sense of humor gets taken seriously. There's a lot of people I work with that would not talk to me at all if they knew I had guns. Not a loss to me, but still.

To the subject at hand, over the past several years, I've seen my wife deal with this. People she considered friends, don't want to listen to reason, verbal attacks about politics, guns and 2A views, etc. As such, we have learned its easier (but still painful) to let them go, instead of dealing with the frustration. Some of these friendships have gone as far as the wife feeling like these people were like sons/daughters/sisters.

I'm sorry that you lost a friend over such things. It could be that your lost friend sees the light, and reaches out to apologize. If she doesn't, at least you won't be dreading that phone call anymore.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
A friend of mine had a heart attack a few days ago. The hospital has a no visitors policy because of Covid 19 so no family could visit and offer loving support. He blames Trump for visitors not being allowed.

Sadly I have watched him go from an intelligent reasoning human to a brainwashed Racheal Maddow quoting idiot in just a very few years. I'm not sure how much longer this fiendship is going to last.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Examples, please?
Richard, I don't want to speak for Walter but I took that to mean other forums as he really hasn't been here long enough to have firsthand knowledge on this forum.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts