Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,244 Posts
Richard, I don't want to speak for Walter but I took that to mean other forums as he really hasn't been here long enough to have firsthand knowledge on this forum.
Yep. Could be. I thought it a bit odd worded that way. I was just curious for that reason.

·
Premium Member
7,164 Posts
There was a woman who lived close and she and I were friendly, BUT....she is a totally brainwashed liberal and talking to her was a strain. I never brought up anything political but she almost always had something truly horrible to say about President Trump. A few times I tried to tell her truth, but that was like bashing my head against a brick wall, so I changed the subject. I honestly did not feel terribly bad when she moved back to Michigan to be with her flaming lib family and friends.

And I have a neighbor who is similar. The best neighbor you could have EXCEPT for her more than casual nasty comments about our President. She moved here from Michigan also. Isn't that interesting? One more new owner in our condo group is screamingly scared out of her wits if the word "gun" is even mentioned. They are here only a few weeks a year SO FAR. They live outside of Chicago.

That is not a typo above: The word is screamingly, not seemingly.

Both of my shooting buddies are conservatives. SO FAR, SO GOOD!

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
SG...being from Chicago, her only experience with guns is probably the killing that goes on in the city on Saturday nights. That guns can be used for self defense doesn't cross her mind.

·
Super Moderator
19,248 Posts
I have a tough situation with this that I can't just toss aside. My oldest daughter, mother to two of my granddaughters used to be a fan of Ann Coulter and even invited me to go shooting once at the NRA HQ range. But now she is an Assistant AG for VA and has become a huge Democrat ultra liberal anti-gunner. She lives in the same neighborhood as Tim Kaine and is a minor friend of his.
The same Tim Kaine who declared that the US "created" slavery???

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
A friend is someone who you can be yourself around; if you can't be you, aint much of a friend.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
People change. If she's unwilling to be civil, move on, her loss. I know that sounds cold and ends years of investment in a friendship, but being friends requires both parties to value the relationship over current events, and it sounds like she's already chosen politics over you. Plant new seeds in fertile soil, tend them, and the void will be filled.
THIS !!

Run, don't walk, away from people like this, be they family or friends. They will only try to pull you down to their level. Remember, it is you who is the most important person in the world to you. The only people you should care about are those whom you choose to care about. All others are just excess and speed bumps. While that may seem cold, it is reality at its most basic level. Good and decent people will put their relationship with you above politics and social issues because they value the friendship.

·
Registered
34,034 Posts
I found out over time many "friends" just wanted something or were friends when I could do something for them. I decided I was being used and was wasting time with them and moved on. My closest friends now are the Boss, a glass of bourbon, and either a good book or a Hercule Poirot video.

And all those on my Christmas card list, of course.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yesterday I suggested to my 19 year old niece that she wait at least two more decades before she again tries to lecture me on any thing.
She has been on this "woke" BLM rant lately.
On the bright side, it's unlikely that I will live 20 more years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,034 Posts
Yesterday I suggested to my 19 year old niece that she wait at least two more decades before she again tries to lecture me on any thing.
She has been on this "woke" BLM rant lately.
On the bright side, it's unlikely that I will live 20 more years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Probably a good thing for her she's your niece and not mine.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Sorry Sister. I sort of lost a friend on FB over Covid and my gun stance. He attacked me over Covid then befriending me then friending me again. He apologized then tore into me about guns and 2A, I asked him why all of his solutions involved me giving up something. He said that he thought I was a petty good guy but he can't be around me with my views. All this out of the blue from someone I haven't seen in 15 years. These people are nuts. They won't debate as they have no valid arguments to support their views and they always blame their problems on others and insist that others change.

Life is too short to be concerned or lose sleep over what they think.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Sometimes cutting loose the people who are diametrically opposed to your values is a good thing.
If that opposition creates a toxic relationship, absolutely. But, I think "we" should be very thoughtful when ending relationships due to someone disagreeing with our position. Otherwise, we are no better than those on the "other side". I think this is really the problem in our country today. Both sides believe they are right and cannot fathom how anyone would think differently. While I don't agree with the positions of anti-2A people I can certainly understand some of their beliefs. I think the key is to find some area of somewhat mutual agreement and discuss from there. Plus, both parties have to the table with open minds. If no facts or data will change someone's mind, then they are not open to a real discussion (regardless of which end of the political spectrum they are aligned). For a productive debate we have to be open to questioning our own beliefs.

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
If that opposition creates a toxic relationship, absolutely. But, I think "we" should be very thoughtful when ending relationships due to someone disagreeing with our position. Otherwise, we are no better than those on the "other side". I think this is really the problem in our country today. Both sides believe they are right and cannot fathom how anyone would think differently. While I don't agree with the positions of anti-2A people I can certainly understand some of their beliefs. I think the key is to find some area of somewhat mutual agreement and discuss from there. Plus, both parties have to the table with open minds. If no facts or data will change someone's mind, then they are not open to a real discussion (regardless of which end of the political spectrum they are aligned). For a productive debate we have to be open to questioning our own beliefs.
I have lots of friends that have differing opinions. The problem comes when the difference is so great that it's no longer worth the effort.

·
Registered
597 Posts
In my youth my first wife had a step dad that was violently anti gun. We had gone to visit them in Ft. Worth and planned on staying overnight. When I walked in the their house I asked where the best place to store my off duty gun would be (I DO try to be conscientious) and he said loudly, "YOU CAN'T HAVE A GUN, IT'S ILLEGAL!" I reminded him that I was a Deputy and I was required to have a weapon at all times. He then said, "YOU CAN'T HAVE IT IN MY HOUSE!" (He was a Yankee transplant, BTW)

I just turned around and walked out the door and got in the car. When the wife finally came out and wanted to know what I was doing and why I didn't just leave the gun in the car, I told her policy would not allow the gun left in a car overnight, and I was going to go rent a hotel. She was good to stay and visit her mom and step dad and I was not going back into his house. Needless to say that I did not in any way try to accommodate that kind of stupidity and from that day til the divorce five years later I never darkened their door, and was simply civil when I had to be. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
@Sister I remember you discussing the friend you mentioned. Sad that she would equate your interest in gun's with the death of "HER LOVED ONE" from a mental issue (her words). I lost my "BEST FRIEND" from specifically " eating a 1911. I DO NOT HATE GUNS! I do NOT BLAME GUNS! I had a long conversation with a "very good member" here, (PhaedrusIV) whom shared this same thing (loss of his good friend from suicide). People that are "sick" WILL find a way to end things. Your friend's brother was not killed by his own hands. I can only say, that like SOME people whom lose loved one's, feel "someone MUST BE BLAMED". I had another good friend whom was murdered in a "MOST HEINOUS" fashion. EVERYONE KNOWS WHOM DID IT! Yet, even happening in 1977, NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE! This past year, I traveled to the town in South Texas, where it occurred, & stirred things up again, with respect to trying to get charges filed. So far, NOTHING AGAIN! And yet I don't harp on it! I do believe this is the first time I've mentioned it here, in my 7 years as a member. I ALSO BELIEVE, with the "current events going on", it will once AGAIN, be swept into the dust bin. BUT, I shall not let it "ruin my life", or drag down others. Traumatic events, CAN destroy a person, IF they let them. Strength "through faith", is a recipe for resolution.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I honestly hardly ever get into a situation where a person insists on talking politics once they know I will not discuss politics with them, even if we agree on everything!. My policy is no politics.

The problem I see with some folks is that they actually have nothing else to talk about. They don't watch TV, don't like sports, have no hobbies or interests.

I have tons of hobbies and interests. Though I do not watch tons of TV I like to watch a good show or two and can discuss what was on TV the night before. I can discuss lots of facets of my life and can normally find a common interest with someone.

Too many people on the left and right do one thing and one thing only: wake up in the morning and tune to CNN or MSNBC and keep that channel on all day long (for the lefties) or wake up in the morning and tune to FOX news and keep that on all day long.

I see it with family and acquaintances. They never turn the proverbial dial all day long!

·
Premium Member
33,809 Posts
My single one-day loss of BFFs occurred when I renounced the 12-step movement, never to return.

Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
34,034 Posts
My single one-day loss of BFFs occurred when I renounced the 12-step movement, never to return.
I had a "former" friend who went through that program also. He was simply going through the motions and checking off the steps, all the while ignoring the lifetime changes success needed. I grew tired of being used, even bailing him out of jail once, and said adios. Arrests and DUI charges in the local paper showed he did not learn his lessons.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts