Defensive Carry banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yesterday a friend of over 20 years called again, I had been putting the call off and using excuses because I had a a feeling where this call was going to go but I was wrong, she even took it further than I had imagined.

She brought up politics, then quickly said “I don’t talk politics“ right after she gave me her opinion??? Does this mean I can’t have an opinion too?

Derangement syndrome! Oh My! I do get that she lost a brother when young due to guns however it was in a bar in the 70’s so with drinking involved sure there is more than a gun to the story.

It wasn’t just guns, they are in the Raleigh area and she is blaming all this protesting and stuff on the president?!!! So, now I ask her where she herd that, and then her voice changes and shes almost growling and says; You must watch __ (network)!

I told her I read a lot of news but enjoy the guns and really do like the president. [dead silence]

I can be friends with someone that votes or believes different. What is up with folks like this?
They think that their opinion is the only opinion and that if you disagree you are wrong. I have friends that vote different than I do and both sides seem to learn from the others because they/we challenge each other and force us to get downwind from ourselves. I wonder if she was really ever a true friend......be kind as you can and if she moves on then so be....IMHO

·
Registered
628 Posts
My Mom is a die-hard liberal. My brother and I are conservative. She hates all guns. My brother and I have have guns and enjoy shooting them. We've learned to just not talk guns or politics.
I hate country music. My solution is to simply not listen to it.

Anyway, what state is your mom from? If she hates all guns then she should avoid the state of Pennsylvania. New Jersey or New York on the other hand would be much more to her liking.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
A friend is someone who you can be yourself around; if you can't be you, aint much of a friend.
This one sums it up.

Thank you all for contributing to this thread. I had no idea so many had gone through the same.

I’m guilty of dumping a friend in 2009 for the way they voted ~ my shock at what all came out of this persons mouth took me back. Reckon I‘m guilty of the same come to think about it. I do feel as strong about my American rights, and personal rights that this whole thing angers me. I believe the difference is how one handles it, I choose not to berate these folks but to just leave them alone or not talk about it. I wish they would reciprocat.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
I always tried to keep the peace with my friends. I try to subscribe to the Don't ask, don't tell mantra.
Not sure how long I will be able to keep doing this.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
There's a reason why we vote in private. In many cases who somebody votes for should be kept to themself.
Well I can’t belive you said that! To do that would make total sense, it’s exactly the way it should be and the way it WAS when I was growing up.

We cannot allow ourselves to do anything reasonable, we have to listen to the children in the street and give them exactly what they want and kiss their rear because that is who we have become....

It’s for the children.
<sarcasm off>

Reactions: M1911A1

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
It used to be your vote was your business, but in this age where people post everything they do like what they ate for lunch, I guess nothing is secret anymore.
You want to talk about your personal stuff, people will judge you one way or another. Or just keep 'em guessing

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I found out over time many "friends" just wanted something or were friends when I could do something for them. I decided I was being used and was wasting time with them and moved on. My closest friends now are the Boss, a glass of bourbon, and either a good book or a Hercule Poirot video.

And all those on my Christmas card list, of course.
AMEN!

Growing up on the Carolina coast (both Carolinas) it was too much in my face when I would move inland to living at the beach - of course while at the beach everyone was sugar nice and my best friend, but when moved inland for a couple of years to go to school and lived ONE HOUR from these ppl NOT ONE OF THEM VISITED me!!!

As soon as I moved back home to the coast they were wanting to be BF again.

Screw that, I’m done.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well I can’t belive you said that! To do that would make total sense, it’s exactly the way it should be and the way it WAS when I was growing up.

We cannot allow ourselves to do anything reasonable, we have to listen to the children in the street and give them exactly what they want and kiss their rear because that is who we have become....

It’s for the children.
<sarcasm off>
If that's how you feel, you can keep the curtains open when you vote.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It used to be your vote was your business, but in this age where people post everything they do like what they ate for lunch, I guess nothing is secret anymore.
You want to talk about your personal stuff, people will judge you one way or another. Or just keep 'em guessing
The last time I checked voting booths still had curtains.

·
Super Moderator
16,185 Posts
The last time I checked voting booths still had curtains.
Around here they do not but unless someone walks up and peers over your shoulder they won't see anything.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Yesterday a friend of over 20 years called again, I had been putting the call off and using excuses because I had a a feeling where this call was going to go but I was wrong, she even took it further than I had imagined.

She brought up politics, then quickly said “I don’t talk politics“ right after she gave me her opinion??? Does this mean I can’t have an opinion too?

Derangement syndrome! Oh My! I do get that she lost a brother when young due to guns however it was in a bar in the 70’s so with drinking involved sure there is more than a gun to the story.

It wasn’t just guns, they are in the Raleigh area and she is blaming all this protesting and stuff on the president?!!! So, now I ask her where she herd that, and then her voice changes and shes almost growling and says; You must watch __ (network)!

I told her I read a lot of news but enjoy the guns and really do like the president. [dead silence]

I can be friends with someone that votes or believes different. What is up with folks like this?

That is my issue with many on the left who claim to be so tolerant of everyone & everything, as long as you agree with their point of view. If you don't then you are a racist, homophobic, or a misogynist ...(or one of those other terms they like to throw out these days). It seems to me many of these types are the least tolerant in our society.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
If that's how you feel, you can keep the curtains open when you vote.
Hi, I was joking with you - it was said as sarcasm, I agreed with what you said and my try at humor failed.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I have lots of acquaintances (quasi-friends) but only 3 close friends that are like brothers to me. These are guys that I know will have my six. I would walk through hell with those guys. We just met for breakfast this morning.

If I wanted needy people I have kids that fill that role.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Richard, I don't want to speak for Walter but I took that to mean other forums as he really hasn't been here long enough to have firsthand knowledge on this forum.
It could be directed to a certain Green forum for Sigs.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had a family member threaten to shoot me because i told them I didn't think Biden was any real savior against Trump. So yeah, the craziness is going around.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes. I can relate. And so can my little lady, Misty Lu. All the people we have been inviting to our privately hosted social functions are no longer welcome in our lives because we determined they were all Cultural Marxist liars. We are now finding new friends who are honest about their political viewpoints and moral convictions.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts