Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to go out and get my ccw permit in a month or so, any one from central la here want to give me a heads up on what to expect in the class or recommend a specific instructor to look into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not in CenLA but in the SE part of the state it was fairly easy. Shooting requirement still sorta puzzles me. Full-size B27 target and you have to hit in the colored part. Not outside it from 9, 12 and 15 feet! I knew the instructor and joked I could hit the target with my eyes closed throwing my pistol. He told me not to be a d**k. :smile: No one failed the class. I and about 5 friends did a private class because one guy lived in an area where he owned a few acres so we could do the whole class on site. It was pretty easy. You'll do fine unless they've changed the requirements DRASTICALLY since 2010.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is covered in the classroom portion? Just gun safety and restrictions? Shoot or no shoot scenarios and such?

·
Registered
821 Posts
What is covered in the classroom portion? Just gun safety and restrictions? Shoot or no shoot scenarios and such?
I don't have the best recollection as it was about 5 1/2 yrs ago. Plus it was a bit unorthodox. I knew the instructor through his wife and the guys I took the class with were friends and all gun owners for years, hunters, etc. So he didn't really do (what I think is usually) the first part basic stuff etc. Nobody was a first-timer so we kinda sped through all that. Then legal stuff, local and general, safety, tactics and common sense (I think). Q&A, examples, a bit of BSing, some other book stuff, legal stuff then fingerprints (old ink-type), photographs for license and going over paperwork and notarizing. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Cool deal, thanks for the input rob
No problem. It's really kinda simple. If you've got experience and a good thorough instructor you might get bored. The shooting portion is way easy. IMO, that's good if it gets weapons into the hands of the vulnerable. Better they get some book learning and hands on than nothing. Good luck and I hope the current uptick in gun sales and CCP doesn't make getting your license take too long. It used to be horrible but I think the State Police got a handle on it for a few years now. Keep yer fingers crossed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went to the shooters club in harahan, La. Sent my paperwork in on or about Dec. 19th and last I called a few weeks ago I just got in the system and they were running my prints. State police said they were backed up bad

Class was one day they did all the paperwork, prints no passport picture required anymore cause they use your on file drivers license picture. Class was ok a lot of legal what if's, shot at 6,10&15 I think. Class was about 30 people some of us had to put a chair sideways against the back wall to fit in the class

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mercy sakes. I'd best get on the ball if I want to carry legally before I start collecting retirement then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm waiting to hear the no permit for concealed carry pass before I get mine. Troops real nice you can tell they overwhelmed.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm waiting to hear the no permit for concealed carry pass before I get mine. Troops real nice you can tell they overwhelmed.
Still better than a while back. Folks were waiting MONTHS (!!!) to even get started. When I went through the private class (no difference for processing, though) it took us about 6 weeks which was MUCH better. And that was 2010-2011. I've heard it's better now and I (we) are gonna have to renew around January of 2017 and will need to use the Shooters Club. The guy we used originally went out of business under questionable circumstances, is "in the wind" as they say and owes me $700 plus he split with a safe-full of other peoples' guns! I was told the Kenner police, ATF and FBI would like to speak with him. As would the owners of the firearms he took off with. Not smart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like shooters club great staff and a good atmosphere just a whole lotta people in a rather small place sometimes. When I went they held it every Saturday starts at 10am no pre registration just whoever shows up. I guess its the same. I imagine all the applications in the state going to one spot everyday the troop has their hands full

1 - 11 of 11 Posts