Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read HB 89 and HB 1097 of Louisiana concerning the Castle Doctrine where is says that you may protect yourself from deadly force while in your vehicle. I'm good so far.

Can anyone help me in finding the verbage stating the your vehicle is an extension of your house so you may keep a firearm in your car without a permit?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
This would depend upon the exact wording of the law in each individual state.
Even a motorhome is your 'home', only when it is parked in a camping spot that you have rented. OMOYMV

·
Registered
393 Posts
LA. has always treated you vehicle like your home when it comes to firearms... and has nothing to due with the new "Castle Doctrine". Sorry I do not know where to tell you to look as I have never lived there, just got to enjoy this Right when visiting.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
If your permit is honored in MN you're good to go here in any motor vehicle. W/O a permit, all firearms must be unloaded and stored properly, even if the motorized conveyance is parked, docked, or otherwise turned off and stationary.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yep, you can carry with the weapon out in the open on the seat next to you in your vehicle-perfectly legal.

No need to keep it in the trunk, console or glovebox.

Didja know we're an open carry state as well?

Check out louisianacarry.com for more info.

Dirty

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm coming up empty as well on finding the wording in law. But you probably wish to check out LRS 14:95 which governs the carrying of a concealed weapon.

LRS 14:95 defines illegal carrying of a weapon as "The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person"

About the closest I've found to the language about a motor vehicle being an extension to your home is LRS 14:95.6 which defines your vehicle as being exempt from laws applying to gun-free zones.

Laws of interest on weapons in Louisiana: LRS 14:95, LRS 14:95.1, LRS 14:95.2, LRS 14:95.6, LRS 14:95.7, and LRS 14:95.8

PDF overview of Louisiana firearm laws

Also, where in Northwest Louisiana are you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts