Defensive Carry banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have the 10.5" 500 magnum and I think it's a joy to shoot. No problems running 50+ rounds through it in a day at the range. Now my S&W 340PD at 11.5 oz. is a different story with full-power 357 loads in it, 10 rounds and I'm done with it.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
I've got .44 Mags in Dan Wesson, Ruger, S&W, and Taurus flavors, plus the "original big magnum" .45 Colt M1909. No real plans for anything bigger, but I do occasionally lust after a .500 S&W. Can't, for the life of me, justify it! :frown:

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I have the 10.5" 500 magnum and I think it's a joy to shoot. No problems running 50+ rounds through it in a day at the range. Now my S&W 340PD at 11.5 oz. is a different story with full-power 357 loads in it, 10 rounds and I'm done with it.
Maybe I'm completely alone in thinking it, but I just cannot see a practical purpose for .357 in such a small gun, let alone one that weighs that little. It's a beautiful one for sure.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Maybe I'm completely alone in thinking it, but I just cannot see a practical purpose for .357 in such a small gun, let alone one that weighs that little. It's a beautiful one for sure.
Mostly I carry it as a BUG. For that, it's entirely practical. I'm not too keen on only 5 rounds for my primary defensive handgun, these days it's entirely too common to encounter 3 or 4 BGs in a group.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I agree there, though I have often carried 6 in the Big 4s'. I figure just the sound of it going off will likely scare away the other baddies, hehe. I've often wondered about all these other metals and how well they'd hold up over longer periods of time.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have on occasion considered buying a short-barrel 500. Even if I missed, they'd be rolling around trying to put the flames out.

I still have a couple of 44's, a Redhawk and a Blackhawk. I like 44 Mag, a very forgiving cartridge to reload. It's the first handgun cartridge I ever reloaded, that Blackhawk was the first handgun I owned. Most 44's tend to be accurate shooters in my experience. Way back, I had a Charter Arms Bulldog. Had a lot of fun with it although I might be guilty of abusing it a bit with some pretty stiff 44 Special loads.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
I don't always carry a Big Magnum, but when I do,it's a S&W Model 57 .41 . Flat shooting, fast , hits like a jackhammer . Floors and engine blocks fear me more .

Reactions: SatCong

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I have two 44 magnums. A 629 and a Redhawk. Both have a 4 inch barrel. I know you give up a little performance with the 4 inch barrel, but every time I had longer barrels they ended up being range toys.
I don't want or need anything bigger than a 44 mag.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have 2 44 mag revolvers and 1 44 mag lever action, and a 45-70 lever action. I like the big bore rimmed cases as there is a lot of options when it comes to reloading. Between those, the 10mms and the 460 Rowland, my 357 magnums rarely see the light of day. Kind of sad really as I was inseparable from the 357 mag for years.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I have 2 .41 Mags, 3 .44 Mags, and a Gary Reeder .475 Linebaugh. That is the extent of the magnum collection.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I have a couple Dan Wesson revolvers I bought back in the mid and late '70's A 15-2 with 8" and 4" barrel that took a lot of hogs and a couple deer . Also a 8" 44mag that was shoot enough but never went hunting till about 11 or 12 years ago . Both are fine shooters and had or have 2moa tube type red dots on them for hunting .

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Love Magnums. Both are 44s...

magnums.jpg

21 - 35 of 35 Posts