Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought myself a little CZ. Lapped the barrel, got an insane scope - 4x16, and threw a nice sling on her. This would be the rifle that got me back into shooting long gun before buying a proper hunting rifle. I intended to practice with it up close. < 100 yards.

So, I sighted it in at 50 yards and thought I would be good to go. At 100, it hit just a bit higher than at 50. I was SO impressed with how well this thing shot, I figured I would, "zero a .17 HMR rifle is to put the 17 grain bullet 1.5" high at 100 yards, for a zero range of 145 yards. It would then hit about 0.9" high at 50 yards, 0.3" low at 150 yards, and 5.5" low at 200 yards. The maximum point blank range (+/- 1.5") of the cartridge would be about 165 yards..." - .17 HMR

Today I went to the range and did just that. Here's how it worked out:

IMG_2663.JPG

The rifle and rest - note the rest is aweful.

IMG_2660.JPG

The range

So I thought it would take quite a bit of fooling around to zero it 0.9" high, but nope, 6 shots in (top row), and she was ready to go. All 5 shot groups. The bigger black circles are 1" and the smaller black shoot and C's are .5" - sorry for the sideways photo.

IMG_2659.JPG

When I took her out to a hundred, the wind had picked up A LOT. This was a ten round group. Not the best, but I didn't focus that much either. I was aiming at the bottom right orange dot (which is where it would be if the photo wasn't sideways :) ). These little 17's get blown around :). It's fun guessing the wind though.

IMG_2665.JPG

With the wind blowing so hard out of the south, I just started to shoot at cans to practice. That little 17 travels so fast, at first I wasn't sure if I was even hitting the cans as the bullets melt/zip thru them. It's not a .22, that's for sure. I shot prone, kneeling - just about any way I could. I'm getting old though lol. Holding a rifle steady while standing up is getting harder and harder lol. The gun gets heavy faster and faster. I found swinging the rifle onto the target almost easier when standing and aiming.

Either way, I freaking love the rifle. It's fun to shoot and that little .17 is more than capable out past 100. I never would have believed that before I bought the rifle. If you're looking for a little practice gun, I can't recommend the 17 enough. I honestly believe it'll be a better trainer than a .22. It's really fun to shoot and has a "bigger gun" arc.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Looks like fun.

What ammo were you using? Have you tried different brands? I think there are a couple choices now...

·
Super Moderator
19,875 Posts
I've got two CZ rimfires... love those rifles! My newer one is a full-stock like yours, but in .22 LR. Nice-handling gun for the field, and I love the classic Mannlicher style. CZs are contagious!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like fun.

What ammo were you using? Have you tried different brands? I think there are a couple choices now...
It really is fun PA! As you well know lol.

When I first got the gun and zero'd it in at 50, I tried every brand I could. There's quite a few different brands actually (some are the same, branded differently). Either way, my rifle seemingly likes the Hornady V-MAX 17gr zipping along at 2550 fps at the muzzle the most.

Unfortunately, I think Tannerite needs 2000 fps and the 17 is down to 1900 at 100. And no, I'm not shooting Tannerite at anything closer than 100 lol.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got two CZ rimfires... love those rifles! My newer one is a full-stock like yours, but in .22 LR. Nice-handling gun for the field, and I love the classic Mannlicher style. CZs are contagious!
I love the Mannlicher's too! You can rest the rifle at any point forward of the mag. It's great. And yes - they are contagious. I am SO loving on the .223 version. Too many guns!!

I can't believe how accurate the things are!

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Trust me, you can shoot tannerite closer than 100 :wink:
I started at 100 though, like recommended.

I ought to get my 17 out today. I've been lazy. I like to make sure the varmint guns are all still hitting where they should.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
My current 17 HMR is a Marlin 25 that I rebarreled with a Green Mountain heavy barrel. As much as I like the look and feel of the CZ's I have a hard time giving up on the Marlin. It shoots that well! But I sure like the wood that come's on the CZ's!

I zeroed mine at 130 yards and that puts me min of squirrel from 50 to 150 yards. If I'm shooting at less than 50 I aim a little low and over 150 aim a little high. I have shot it at 200 yards but I had to add elevation to the scope. It seems like I had to add 32 clicks. My spread at 200 yds was larger than a ground squirrel So I limit myself to 150 yds or around there.

I do enjoy shooting the 17HMR. Its so accurate between 50 and 150 that its hard to miss! Congrats on the new rifle! DR

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
CZ - take a proven, stout, accurate action/barrel/trigger & mate it to a NICE piece of rifleman-shaped walnut? What's not to LIKE?!?

Well bought, Well shot! :congrats:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My current 17 HMR is a Marlin 25 that I rebarreled with a Green Mountain heavy barrel. As much as I like the look and feel of the CZ's I have a hard time giving up on the Marlin. It shoots that well! But I sure like the wood that come's on the CZ's!

I zeroed mine at 130 yards and that puts me min of squirrel from 50 to 150 yards. If I'm shooting at less than 50 I aim a little low and over 150 aim a little high. I have shot it at 200 yards but I had to add elevation to the scope. It seems like I had to add 32 clicks. My spread at 200 yds was larger than a ground squirrel So I limit myself to 150 yds or around there.

I do enjoy shooting the 17HMR. Its so accurate between 50 and 150 that its hard to miss! Congrats on the new rifle! DR
I would never give up on a good shooter lol! Never. How much does the Marlin weigh with that heavy barrel if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eight and 1/4 pounds with the scope and mount. With the stock skinny barrel it was 6 3/4 pounds, also with a scope and mount.
That's purty! I love bull barrels!

Man, I thought I was going nuts with my 4x16. What's that telescope thing you got strapped on your Marlin lol? Seriously, that's a crazy nice scope.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Very nice CZ! .17 hmr's are incredibly fun to shoot and make 100 yd+ 1 shot kills on groundhogs very doable! My Savage 93F in .17 hmr will always have a place in my safe!

Reactions: drift

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
That's purty! I love bull barrels!

Man, I thought I was going nuts with my 4x16. What's that telescope thing you got strapped on your Marlin lol? Seriously, that's a crazy nice scope.
Its actually a BSA 6x24 that I got out of a return bin. I only paid $5 each for them! They work great for shooting ground squirrels because they are shot in bright sunny conditions. At dusk and dawn they don't gather enough light. I wouldn't call it a target scope but it works for squirrels! It holds zero well enough. This whole rifle was an experiment to see what I could build on the cheap! It turned into one of my favorites. DR

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its actually a BSA 6x24 that I got out of a return bin. I only paid $5 each for them! They work great for shooting ground squirrels because they are shot in bright sunny conditions. At dusk and dawn they don't gather enough light. I wouldn't call it a target scope but it works for squirrels! It holds zero well enough. This whole rifle was an experiment to see what I could build on the cheap! It turned into one of my favorites. DR
That's funny. I don't buy anything until I can buy all the best of what i need to compliment it. So i don't buy often lol... sigh. Ammo, sights, so on and so forth, I'm like that with everything. My buddy on the other hand, just gets whatever that he needs to get out there. I swear, he has more fun than I do. There are less expectations with less expensive equipment I guess.

My scope (Weaver) was purchased strictly with the length in mind. I needed/wanted it to fit behind the iron sights. I knew very little about em - but it was on sale and I just went for it because they were recommended so highly. I can recommend em if you are going to upgrade to a mid range scope.

·
Super Moderator
19,875 Posts
My scope (Weaver) was purchased strictly with the length in mind. I needed/wanted it to fit behind the iron sights. I knew very little about em - but it was on sale and I just went for it because they were recommended so highly. I can recommend em if you are going to upgrade to a mid range scope.
Drift, which scope did you choose? I see a side focus but I can't tell much beyond that.

My 455 FS uses a Weaver RV9 3-9x32. For the .22 LR I don't need any more power, and given the drop in the "hogback" stock I wanted to keep the axis of the scope low. I removed the rear sight to give some clearance, and filled the tapped holes with some small set screws I found at the hardware store. On my 455V in .22 WMR I went with a 4-12X Vortex which is a really nice piece of glass.

Reactions: drift

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the Grand Slam 4x16. Being I only ever knew .22's in rimfire before this rifle, I thought the 16 part was a little overkill. Not anymore :).

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re...pe-1-tube-4-16x44mm-dual-x-reticle-matte.html

As a rule, I don't mess with elevation or windage once I've sighted in, so the adjustment caps work fine for me. I like that actually, so I don't accidentally adjust. The side focus is actually a better feature than you might imagine. It kind of works like a rangefinder too. After you have your target in focus, a quick glance to the side and you know where you are. Mine is off by ten yards consistently :).

Anyway - I can say that it is incredibly clear/bright. Parallax or whatever isn't a problem - even at 16 - so long as you are at the right distance away from the scope - obviously. Yeah, I'm pretty impressed.

I've shot it as the sun went down, it did great. But I haven't quite used it in dark situations. I really like it so far. I'm really impressed for $300. The thing I didn't like was the elevation adjustment was backward compared to what i was used to (I think it's mislabeled too lol). Moreover, note I haven't unscrewed the adjustments to my new zero, so I don't know how easy that is to do either. But like I said, for the HMR, this is a great scope so far.

·
Super Moderator
19,875 Posts
I think that's a great choice for that flat-shooting cartridge. Nearly all my rimfire scopes have adjustable objective, but so far only one is a "sidewinder."

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
That's funny. I don't buy anything until I can buy all the best of what i need to compliment it. So i don't buy often lol... sigh. Ammo, sights, so on and so forth, I'm like that with everything. My buddy on the other hand, just gets whatever that he needs to get out there. I swear, he has more fun than I do. There are less expectations with less expensive equipment I guess.

This whole rifle was a Project! I have a friend that had a rusty 22mag that was missing its bolt. And I had a Bolt that was missing its rifle. I couldn't find a good 22mag barrel and while looking at GM's site I found the 17 HMR barrel on sale for $65. I found the stock on Ebay for $20 shipped. When I found these scopes I bought all 10 with the idea of putting them on the Grandkids BB guns!But I have to say I kind of like them. I do have a Weaver T24 target scope, But I don't beleave this rifle would shoot any better with it! And I have a Leopold that would let me shoot closer to dawn and dusk! But that's not when Ground squirrels are out.

I have recently bought a couple of Vortex scopes to put on competition rifles for my son and grandson. They will be for long distance .22 matches. When these are done I want to try the "Sidewinder's". It seems so much easier that reaching out to the end bell to tune the Paralax. But we'll see! DR

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I was shooting my Rem/AAC Model 7 yesterday and things were looking a little fuzzy at 50, so I dialed the scope down from 18 to 16. After a few more shots I noticed the AO. Duh.
I've gotten so used to sidewinders, especially that big wheeled Hawke on the one pellet gun, I'd forgotten all about AO's.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's always windy in Kansas, but today was a little less windy than most, so I took the old 17 out again today to have a look at what it would go at 100 yards.

Not bad:

The middle one was with me focusing on bags. The drift to the right is all wind (sorry - pictures are sideways again).

IMG_2716.JPG

A Quarter is .9" and it covered the group. Nice.

IMG_2717.JPG

Man is this thing a shooter. But I can't figure it out. I got my data all wrong. As I said, I sighted it in .9" high at 50 (which it does), but it's supposed to hit .5" high at 100. If you look at the first picture, I was aiming at the targets below where they were hitting. So about 3" high. WHAT THE HECK?

Anyway, I didn't have it in me to sight it in again at .5" high at 100. I have to figure out why this bullet is traveling so high at 100. Maybe the data I have is for another round. So I plinked a bit.

Like I said before, shooting tin cans sucks because the round just melts through it. If the can moves at all it's something. Not much fun. Half the time I don't know if I hit the thing, so I took out some water bottles full of water and shot them at around 50 and 75 yards.

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

The round just blows them apart. Here's the odd thing again. No "exit wound." I think I can tell where it entered, but not the exit. The bottles just exploded. No round to be found. I'll have to do this again. But what an explosive bullet. I fear that a head shot would be mandatory if shooting something small to eat.

Then I got to thinking I might try something harder than a can to see what it does to that. I didn't really have anything, so I defaced some government property out at 50 yards. A time honored tradition that no one need speak of really.

IMG_2718.JPG

Again - it just zipped right through it! The speed this little round does things I've never seen out of a rimfire. I freaking love it. Once I get the sighting sorted, and shoot some more objects to gage the round, I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall for the round and the gun. If there is any drawback, it's that the wind will push the round about. Which adds to the fun - for me. But if that bugs you, in a rimfire, the heavier .22 Mag might be better. Or a .204 Ruger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts