Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Statistically I know it is reckoned that majority of encounters are low light or even dark.

I did wonder tho today, as walking back to house from office and scanning - just how darned difficult it is seeing well against the sun. Makes me think of fighter pilots attack methods - come out of the sun! Gets easier of course as sun gets higher towards summer - tho evening sun still problematic at times.

Obviously if something goes down, chances are we have zero choice about positions - lighting etc. Even strong street lamps can be tricky if in your eyes and a potential threat is in shadows - they have an advantage and our ability to identify threat could be well compromized.

So, really just acknowledging something that could work against us quite badly - even if a good yellow maintained. I'd much rather have the strong light/sun behind me!!

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Brian45 said:
I think this situation calls for a "tactical" baseball cap.
I'll go along with that

·
Super Moderator
13,068 Posts
Maybe we could "group" order and get a quantity discount - I'm in.

Actually, that's one reason I wear a baseball cap; to help with shading eyes from the sun.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention - me too re a cap - most of every day.

Thing I was noticing tho was, with sun so low and yet still dazzling, even the cap was not giving enough protection - the glare was quite profound and certainly enough to prejudice easy vision in that direction.

This degree of extreme back-lighting is not too common but certainly has a most undesirable effect - I could envisage too at night - something like a low placed tungsten-halogen lamp producing some problems.

·
Super Moderator
13,068 Posts
P95,
I know what you're saying. I didn't mean that a BB cap would solve the problem you described, just that they can help in a lot of lighting situations. Well, if you don't wear them backwards. :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, if you don't wear them backwards.
<cringe> - gahhh - horror!!! :image035:

·
Super Moderator
13,068 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Add a quality pair of polarized sunglasses to the (forward facing) BB cap and it is amazing how much glare is reduced. Good polarized sunglasses alone do a lot. BTW $20 gas station sunglasses are not quality.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Valid point Brian - problem is I don't wear them all the time - and Murphy would dictate that just when I had not got any - trouble! :wink:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
And a lighting situation that obscures your target will often highlight you. Lighting is a definite tactical consideration, when time permits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts