Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Supposedly the life of a P3AT is in the 3-4,000 range. I'm sure some have gone longer. I've got probably 4 or 500 thru mine no problems. Plus KelTec will replace the gun if it ever wears out. Lifetime warranty!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have never held or shot the Rohrbaugh 9mm and have only seen one at a gun show.Neat concept but a little on the high dollar side for me in a pocket pistol. I take my NAA 380 and kel-Tec P3AT with me every time I go shooting and put two or three mags through each one.Don't have any trouble out of either one and the NAA was bought brand new in2003 and P3AT is a 2nd generation about a year and a half old.
Ron

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had one for a while...then I sold it as 900 dollars was needed. I don't really miss it since I have a PM9

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
How many more NAA Guardians and Seecamps are sold compare to the R9's? You will find very few posts regarding failures from these guns and their production numbers far exceed the R9's especially the Guardians. The number of R9's having failures is what keeps me from being interested. same reason I won't buy a KelTec P3AT. That is all I am saying, you wonder if those of you who actually own these guns actually shot them more maybe the failure rate would be higher? Who knows?
NCH

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, I got a big surprise today. I work at a gun shop and we sell the Rohrbaugh R9 pistols. They're very small and slick pocket pistols and very expensive too. Last week 2 different customers brought back their R9's for repair. One had just bought it the day before and the trigger wasn't working, and the other one had had the gun for a while and had shot it quite a bit and was having the same problem with the trigger. They wanted the guns sent back to the factory for repair, which we were glad to do, but we were surprised as they were the first ones we've had come back.

The factory was closed until this week, so we shipped the guns off on Monday, but apparently the owner of the gun who'd had it for a while also called the factory Monday to talk to them about his problem. He told us that he had mentioned to whoever he spoke to at the factory that he had fired 150 rounds through the gun when it stopped working and was told that the gun shouldn't be fired that much as it was meant to be a carry gun and not a regular shooting gun!

To be honest, we assumed that the guy either misunderstood what he was told or outright made it up. It didn't make any sense that a gun that finely made and expensive wasn't made to be shot a lot. Except that today the head of Rohrbaugh, Karl Rohrbaugh, called us about the guns we had sent and during the course of the discussion he confirmed that the gun was not intended to be shot a lot and that 150 rounds was too much. He said that every few months he shoots a magazine full through his gun, cleans and reloads it, then puts it back in his pocket. Of course, he's going to fix the guns and send them back to us, but that still doesn't explain the crazy limitation on shooting.

I certainly don't mean to offend anyone who has or likes the guns, nor am I saying that it's a bad gun, but I thought this information should be shared since nowhere on the company's website does it say anything about this important restriction. Also, I have to admit that I have not read the gun's manual and don't know if this matter is mentioned there, but even if it is it's very likely that a buyer would not see it until after purchasing the gun. I have to say that I'm very surprised and disappointed by the whole matter and I just wanted to pass on the information to anyone interested.
Thanks for the info. I had been itching to get one of these too. Looks like I'll stick with my Seecamp. If you don't mind me asking, what shop do you work at in Houston?

-Brandon

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the info. I had been itching to get one of these too. Looks like I'll stick with my Seecamp. If you don't mind me asking, what shop do you work at in Houston?

-Brandon
I work at Collectors Firearms. If you've been in Houston long I'm sure you know us. If not you should come by, you'll love it.

Collectors Firearms

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am not sure that I can add anything that hasn't been said, but...

Karl was not saying the life of the gun is 150 rounds. It has a lifetime warranty. I believe he was questioning why you would want to shoot 150 rounds in a session. Karl has always said this is not a range gun, not a plinking gun -- its a speciality hideout gun designed to shoot 9mm in the smallest possible package.

I belt there are a whole lot of Seecamp .380s and S&W 340s that have NEVER had 150 rounds put throught them!

Karl worked for years to get the gun as small as he could, while still being functional. The laws of physics do apply to guns and you can only go so small. That is why Kel-Tec has never made a 9mm the size of the P-3AT that everyone wants -- it can't be done.

To suggest that the R-9 is made from substandard materials is somewhat uninformed. The gun is CNC'ed from quality stainless and aluminum bar stock. There is no plastic, MIM, or cast parts on the gun. The springs are made by Wolff. All parts are hand polished, and hand fit in assembly.

The R-9 has limits because it is so small it is pushing the envelope to contain standard pressure 9mm. People buy them for the size and for the quality. If you have never seen or handled one, you might not appreciate the difference between an R-9 and an NAA Guardian. (Not to knock the Guardian -- but its a different animal).

I believe that the internet perception that there are lots of R-9 failures is simply wrong. Slide cracks, tigger failures, etc. are NOT common in these guns. Many problems are traced to use of +P ammo or not lubing the guns, etc. The fact is that when people aren't happy with a gun, they want to go to the internet and complain. When they are not happy with a $1,000 gun, they want to RUN to the internet and complain. ;)

If the R-9 is not your cup of tea or more than you are willing to pay for a pocket gun--so be it and I have no quarrel with you. But, you are doing yourself a disservice if you dismiss a gun you thought you wanted because of a thread like this on the "error-net." And don't worry about our safety in trusting our lives to the R-9 -- we will be just fine.

Come over to the Rohrbaugh Forum (The Rohrbaugh Forum - Index) and you will find a dedicated group of very knowlegeable and experienced shooters who will give you the straight talk on the gun. The forum is not affiliated with Rohrbaugh Firearms and we will discuss the good, the bad and the ugly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've put 100+ rounds on target in one range session with my R9. While my hand took a little bit of a beating, my pistol certainly had no problems with it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
What is sky is not fallin??

I am not sure that I can add anything that hasn't been said, but...

Karl was not saying the life of the gun is 150 rounds. It has a lifetime warranty. I believe he was questioning why you would want to shoot 150 rounds in a session. Karl has always said this is not a range gun, not a plinking gun -- its a speciality hideout gun designed to shoot 9mm in the smallest possible package.

I belt there are a whole lot of Seecamp .380s and S&W 340s that have NEVER had 150 rounds put throught them!

Karl worked for years to get the gun as small as he could, while still being functional. The laws of physics do apply to guns and you can only go so small. That is why Kel-Tec has never made a 9mm the size of the P-3AT that everyone wants -- it can't be done.

To suggest that the R-9 is made from substandard materials is somewhat uninformed. The gun is CNC'ed from quality stainless and aluminum bar stock. There is no plastic, MIM, or cast parts on the gun. The springs are made by Wolff. All parts are hand polished, and hand fit in assembly.

The R-9 has limits because it is so small it is pushing the envelope to contain standard pressure 9mm. People buy them for the size and for the quality. If you have never seen or handled one, you might not appreciate the difference between an R-9 and an NAA Guardian. (Not to knock the Guardian -- but its a different animal).

I believe that the internet perception that there are lots of R-9 failures is simply wrong. Slide cracks, tigger failures, etc. are NOT common in these guns. Many problems are traced to use of +P ammo or not lubing the guns, etc. The fact is that when people aren't happy with a gun, they want to go to the internet and complain. When they are not happy with a $1,000 gun, they want to RUN to the internet and complain. ;)

If the R-9 is not your cup of tea or more than you are willing to pay for a pocket gun--so be it and I have no quarrel with you. But, you are doing yourself a disservice if you dismiss a gun you thought you wanted because of a thread like this on the "error-net." And don't worry about our safety in trusting our lives to the R-9 -- we will be just fine.

Come over to the Rohrbaugh Forum (The Rohrbaugh Forum - Index) and you will find a dedicated group of very knowlegeable and experienced shooters who will give you the straight talk on the gun. The forum is not affiliated with Rohrbaugh Firearms and we will discuss the good, the bad and the ugly.
Thank you DDGator for logic and reasoning minds taking the high ground.

If you read some of these "the sky is fallin" post you would think the R9 is total junk. I would bet most of those post have never handled an R9 much less owned or fired one.

I love mine...I carried it last night in my vest coat pocket in a pocket holster...it's so easy to conceal. Mine has been flawless....about 500 rounds through it....oh and it's not worn out. Have changed the $5 recoil spring once.

Until I have some personal negative experience with my R9....goin keep her. So mark me down as satisified with the R9 realiblity and function as well as convience and appearance.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think for now I will stay away from the R9. I understand the spring may be the culprit, but 150 rounds per spring is a real problem with me.
If I am going to bet my life on it, I don't want to hope the spring is not ready to go into the after life, and a single shot derringer is not the intent of a clip fed pistol.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Golfer,

I understand and respect that. The spring has been the subject of intense R&D with Rohrbaugh and Wolff. Its the best spring they can make, but it takes a POUNDING in this little gun.

Just for the sake of comparision, does anyone have a Seecamp? Great little guns. The LWS .380 manual says to change the recoil spring every 300 rounds. That slide assembly is subjected to far less punishment than the R-9 in 9mm. Seecamp will also tell you the gun requires no break-in, and that shooting it more won't make it work any better. The manual says shoot 43 and load the last 7 and from a 50 round box and you will be better off than shooting 200 rounds to "make sure it works."

My point is that small pocket pistols are what they are. The laws of physics and the properties of metal and springs are the same for everybody. All pistols are a tradeoff -- you pick the characteristics that are most important to you. But, don't be too quick to criticise others who may have different desired parameters for their carry guns.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
So maybe some would prefer a slightly larger gun and have it be more reliable and durable? I myself find the comments about the Guardians being a brick in your pocket real funny, when the same members are posting in the revolver section how the weight from a Good N frame really helps tame the 44 mag!!! The extra size and weight of the Guardian to me is a huge positive, especially when firing SD ammo, the extra weight and size help to tame the recoil and give me a little more to hold onto. In a pocket gun there is such a thing as to much gun in to small of a package and to me the R9 is skating on the edge. It simply isn't a gun for me at any price. If you enjoy yours and feel comfortable carrying it that's great, I hope it always serves you well and that you never have to use it in a SD situation, but that is my wish to all members with all guns.
Good Day
NCH

·
Registered
145 Posts
So maybe some would prefer a slightly larger gun and have it be more reliable and durable?
Not sure I agree with "more reliable." My 2 R-9s have been fully reliable. I am sure some people may want to shoot their guns more and change the springs less, so the R-9 is not for them. But, its a sliding scale. A slightly larger gun will be slightly better. A PM-9 isn't necessarily a great target gun either. But a Glock 19 is good, and a Glock 17 is better.

Or, you can "downgrade" to a smaller caliber and avoid problems. I am willing to bet that the Rohrbaugh R-380, which is built on the 9mm frame, will operate will all the reliability and durability of any similar gun, just with a much better trigger. ;) Its all about the tradeoffs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WOW, Interesting "perspective"

My guess is that the vast majority of people who own a J frame S&W, a Kal-Tec, or other small, lightweight handgun of respectable caliber never put a hundred rounds through the gun. So I can understand Rohrbaugh making the assumption that their guns would see light duty. But that doesn't mean that I agree with the premise. (The gun won't be shot a lot, so it doesn't have to take a lot.)

Personally, I would want to put a couple hundred rounds through any semi-auto pistol just to assure myself that it is sufficiently dependable to be a "carry" gun.

While I have no experience with the Rohrbaugh, I have noted that the company does advise that +P ammo is not to be used in the gun. That gave me cause to pause because the pressure difference in a standard and a +P round is rather small.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not likely to ever own a Rohrbaugh regardless, but your caveat is good information to be aware of.

I don't understand anything at all for a 1000 dollar weapon being useless as breaking down after a hundred rounds or so. That's freaking INSANE. After taking a closer look at these weapons, what's the point. a 200-300 dollar kel-tec is just as reliable and it works after 500 rounds. What drug do you have smoke, snort or ingest that would leave a person stupid enough to literally BLOW on a hunk of junk????

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just don't understand the discussion at all. A thousand dollar hunk of CRAP vs. a 200 dollar excellent operating machine ... where's the "struggle" in making a choice. There are LOADS of small pocket weapons that you can shoot a thousand rounds through without problem. They probably shoot better, are more accurate, better hand feel. A better clip release instead of having it on the bottom to where it takes a lot longer ot reload with a newer clip.
If I'm going to buy a Mercedes, it's because the Mercedes is RELIABLE and it works and its luxurious. I see absolutely NOTHING special about this pathetic flimsy weapon that breaks after a few shots. You can't even practice with the thing for fear that you may wear it out in case you need it for an emergency.

·
Registered
871 Posts
After 2 post your blooter mentality is amazing.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I have been seriously considering buying an R9......but no way, not now. So I go buy an over-priced shovel, dig ten holes and it breaks, and the manufacturerer tells me it's only good for three holes and I should only keep the shovel around for when I really need a hole dug? I don't think so, there are too many other shovels that I can buy :mad:

Same here. I've been eyeballing the site for some time now... Now though, I'll move on to the next one on my list; the Kahr MK9.:image035:

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I havn't seen one come into the store yet, but if and when one does, you can be sure I'll sign it out in order to put it thru it's paces. I know a few Customers who own the R9, and they do shoot them, but on a limited basis. They tel me it's a carry gun, and not a range gun. I tend to agree with their train of thought, but to have the gun at that price go down for repair at such a short time, is a bit rediculus. Whether it's 200 buck, or a 2000 buck gun, it should work right, especially if it's gonna be used to save your life.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Well, this sort of report does cast a positive light on the Ruger LC9, which is a personal defense weapon, 7+1, rated to handle +P (occasionally), and a tack driver at the range all day long. Reliability is a huge factor when evaluating a carry weapon.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts