Defensive Carry banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I guess I am confused... Do people read the whole thread before they comment? And for what reason do you resurrect a 4 year old post as your first post on a forum?

If the R-9 or the price is not for you, it's not for you. But piece of junk? Not hardly. I honestly don't know how people can have such strong opinions about a product with which they have no personal experience.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Wow! I see whatcha mean.... I usually read the original post and a few others, by then I'll post my thoughts if I have something to add, but I don't check the dates, or necessarily read every post as a general rule. In some cases the date is kinda no big deal, but for threads such as this one where obvious advancements have been made since the OP. I can see where it could cause some confusion. Point taken....

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Well, I got a big surprise today. I work at a gun shop and we sell the Rohrbaugh R9 pistols. They're very small and slick pocket pistols and very expensive too. Last week 2 different customers brought back their R9's for repair. One had just bought it the day before and the trigger wasn't working, and the other one had had the gun for a while and had shot it quite a bit and was having the same problem with the trigger. They wanted the guns sent back to the factory for repair, which we were glad to do, but we were surprised as they were the first ones we've had come back.

The factory was closed until this week, so we shipped the guns off on Monday, but apparently the owner of the gun who'd had it for a while also called the factory Monday to talk to them about his problem. He told us that he had mentioned to whoever he spoke to at the factory that he had fired 150 rounds through the gun when it stopped working and was told that the gun shouldn't be fired that much as it was meant to be a carry gun and not a regular shooting gun!

To be honest, we assumed that the guy either misunderstood what he was told or outright made it up. It didn't make any sense that a gun that finely made and expensive wasn't made to be shot a lot. Except that today the head of Rohrbaugh, Karl Rohrbaugh, called us about the guns we had sent and during the course of the discussion he confirmed that the gun was not intended to be shot a lot and that 150 rounds was too much. He said that every few months he shoots a magazine full through his gun, cleans and reloads it, then puts it back in his pocket. Of course, he's going to fix the guns and send them back to us, but that still doesn't explain the crazy limitation on shooting.

I certainly don't mean to offend anyone who has or likes the guns, nor am I saying that it's a bad gun, but I thought this information should be shared since nowhere on the company's website does it say anything about this important restriction. Also, I have to admit that I have not read the gun's manual and don't know if this matter is mentioned there, but even if it is it's very likely that a buyer would not see it until after purchasing the gun. I have to say that I'm very surprised and disappointed by the whole matter and I just wanted to pass on the information to anyone interested.
thanks, I am due to get a lump sum of $$ here soon(about $15-20,000) and was thinking of paying off all my bills, buying a few toys and using the rest for well a vacation and savings account....the 2 things I wanted to get was a rifle of some type(M1 maybe) and a Pistol...and id been looking at 1911's, HKP7's, and yes a small pocket pistol and id been thinking a 9mm is better than a .380 and one of the smallest 9mm is just this gun being discussed...and was #1 on the list to find, look at, and probably get...till I read this thread when it came totally OFF the list..if thats really what they think that guy that makes them and the company as a whole is full of ****! Even my SMALL carry guns Id run at least 100 rounds through that have to be flawless B4 I will carry it and TRUST THAT IT WILL SHOOT THE AMMO I HAVE CHOSEN! so just breaking it in, making sure it works and can be trusted with 2 boxes of ammo pretty much "violates" their premise of shooting it ...Lame gun, Lame Company if this OP statement is right and they said that....since I had this $$ basically "free" it was not one of those money is a big object things...id have gotten it anyways for its unparalled 9mm SIZE AND WEIGHT..but at a minimum id run 25 rounds through it at the range each trip...Thanks for the info..now I know to stay away....and keep looking for a small TRULY pocketable 9mm(which ive not found yet).

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
They are not the easiest guns to get. A while back, my local shop here in upstate NY had one for $900. I've only seen one other at a gun show. The R9 was eventually bought by someone who had numerous issues with it and wound up returning it to the shop. The shop owner, a buddy of mine, told me he got the same talk from Mr. Rohrbaugh as described above. Shipped the gun back to him and waited a considerable time for repair. Upon getting the gun back, the gun had the same issues. Once again, was basically told to just carry the gun & not shoot it. Needless to say, the shop owner says he will never carry another Rohrbaugh again. This is the abbreviated account.
I just dont get how this guy that makes them(his company) thinks people will trust the gun as reliable if they dont actually shoot it with their selected carry ammo with a decent amount first...id NEVER EVER(but I know people do) trust a gun that I was just handed/bought new out of the box and they said just shoot a mag through it and then trust your life to it...what...im supposed to take it on this guys(the makers) good word that it wont jam up if ive only ran a mag or 2 through it EVER???...ummmh no thanks.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
BTW any suggestions on anything else thats actually TRULY small enough to be considered pockatable in 9mm that will "work" with some actual light shooting at the range on occasion??? I just cant get in my head that I want a .380 over a 9mm...I was thinking the PF9/lc9 at a decent price but is that really pocket carry type ??

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
As has been stated before, the LC9 is not a pocket gun, per se, but I can carry it in most of my cargo pocket pants if I am so inclined. Plus, the cost difference between the R9 and the Ruger is a no brainer for me, being in the dwindling middle class category! But.... if you have the $$$$$ to spend on anything you want, go for it: life is too short not to get what you want if you really want it!:image035:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I plan on shooting my pocket .380 Sig p238 everytime I hit the range , so far I have 360 rounds through it and enjoy it very much though many people say they are not range guns  to me any gun that shoots is a range gun: heck what is it for if you can't shoot it as often as you want??????

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have no way of verifying what has been said about the R9. But regarding a pocket 9 that is pretty much the antithesis of the characteristics of the R9 included in this thread. Check out the XR9-s on bobergarms.com. It is a new company and a new gun. Their first deliveries have started in the last few months. There are a bunch of pictures comparing size to lots of other pistols. It will eat +P. Expected lifetime is a good deal longer that 150 rounds. The designer has run literally thousands of rounds through some original test guns.

It is quite a unique design. Two notable side effects of this are significantly reduced felt recoil, and significantly higher muzzle energy than similar (and some bigger) pistols. Read through the forums. There are some posts of people who have received their pistols. All pretty happy. Some of them have been on pre-order since around 2008 (no prepayment - just a list). Price is around a grand. He is targeting this coming Tuesday to ship the first 30 guns in the second production run and finishing up by mid November. I could have mine next week if I am lucky. I have put my money where my keyboard is.

One of them sold on an auction site a week or so ago for, I believe, $2000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quality of Parts?

I have heard of this same complaint a lot lately and the company needs to make some serious changes if they are going to compete with Seecamp and NAA. When I was looking for a small pocket gun I looked at the R9, but the part about replacing springs every 100 rounds was a total joke!! Why not use quality parts. I believe the only thing that has kept them in business is there is no other gun in it's class in 9mm, but when stories like these get out it sure doesn't help sales. I chose the NAA Guardian in 32 and 380 over the R9 and Seecamp, the R9 was ruled out for the spring issue and the Seecamp for being ammo sensitive and no finger extension. I have two of the Guardians for less than a Seecamp in 380 and they both have been 100% reliable with every ammo I have fed them. The extra size and weight really help control full house SD rounds and is not a negative the way others claim it is.
NCH
It has nothing to do with "quality of parts". It has to do with quality of design. The front spring on the Rohrbaughs guide rod assembly is way too short - the few coils remaining on this chopped off spring are working too hard and just don't last. With some investigation in a friend's R9S, I found that you can actually fit a Kel-Tec PF9 style spring assembly in the R9s - all it takes are two custom springs, one inside the other, wound the opposite direction, and a new guide rod and bushing (simple lathe parts). I was toying with the idea of offering this assembly as an aftermarket replacement so that you could keep shooting the Rohrbaugh pistols without wearing out the springs, but someone talked me out of it saying that these guns are safe queens anyway.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I handled one and it's very compact. A lot of power in a small gun. It looks easy to conceal.

However, I saw a Diamondback DB9 so I opted for it instead.

Lifetime NRA Member

·
Registered
17 Posts
There's a video on YouTube of KR saying the same thing he told you. Like others, I wouldnt trust a gun that I cant shoot a lot.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think a person carrying a handgun needs to practice with it at least once per month. Lets see.....100 rounds each month.....1,200 rounds per year. 5 Years and 6,000 rounds. Not sure I can afford to buy one of those expensive toys every 5 years. Those little "jewel" pistols are cute and like fine watches. I prefer a combat pistol in a time tested design preferably carried by either the military or police departments. I want to be able to depend on it in the event I truly need it for its intended purpose......Self Defense. What police department or military unit carries these "jewel" pistols? I think I'll stick with my Glock, Sig Sauer and Smith and Wesson.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts