Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to lowes tomorrow to get the materials to start my reloading bench! I am thinking two cabinets spaced 4 feet apart with space for a chair in between, and a wooden table on top of those. Then a pegboard/ shelf space on the wall behind the table. May I please see your reloading bench set up? Any other ideas?
Jabraun

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
I bought a workbench hardware kit and some lumber from Home Depot, and built mine.

mine is about 33" tall by 30" deep by 60" wide. The back is built up to 84"

Reactions: Sister

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
One thing I'll add is that you really want that tabletop well attached to whatever is under it. When you start pressing (some calibers more than others) you will quickly find out if your setup isn't solid.

I used these plans to build my bench, although I didn't do the cabinet part, just the bench. The cabinet is very nice but I'm not that industrious!

Reloading Bench Plans

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
It may be too late so if you're under construction, rock on. For a table top, my Dad's bench was a solid core door rather than lumber. He must have priced it and found it cheaper than 3/4 plywood. Made a nice bench and the size was about perfect.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Oh yeah. Take a look at the spacing of mounting holes for your press and vice, which you'll eventually need. Factor that spacing as you build the frame for attaching the top.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My bench is 4 foot deep, 6 foot wide and comes up to my waist. It 4x4 post, 2x6 framing and the table top is 2 layers of thick plywood. It's a monster. I like the fact that I have enough room under it to store whatever I want or put large cabinets underneath. I can beat the snot out of it and it holds solid. I built it specifically for loading.

I plan to put a florescent light over it and other organizing stuff. It's a beast.

·
Registered
265 Posts
There are many options. Play around. This works for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
This is what I have except I dont have that fancy blue press. Just a lee pro 1000. It gets the job done for me tho.
I had a Lee Pro 1000 about 20 years ago and I reloaded thousands and thousands of .38 and .357 rounds and it performed flawlessly. Decided this time around I'd try the fancy blue one, works great.
As long as they all go boom when they are supposed to all is good.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
My bench is 4 foot deep, 6 foot wide and comes up to my waist. It 4x4 post, 2x6 framing and the table top is 2 layers of thick plywood. It's a monster. I like the fact that I have enough room under it to store whatever I want or put large cabinets underneath. I can beat the snot out of it and it holds solid. I built it specifically for loading.

I plan to put a florescent light over it and other organizing stuff. It's a beast.
Reminds me of a workbench I built at my first home. Only difference was I used oak tongue and groove 1x3 flooring instead of plywood for the top. Sanded and finished with a nice stain and poly coat. Solid and beautiful but
I had to leave it behind when I sold that house because there was no room for woodworking at the home I moved to.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Know someone who built the same bench as TX Expat and can attest to its sturdiness. Don't care for the construction of the cabinets - actually found them to be a pain. One addition to the plans was putting locking castors on the legs to be mobile. Pay attention to the height as it can make a real difference in comfort while reloading - may want to do some experimenting with that before committing to a bench.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
One thing I'll add is that you really want that tabletop well attached to whatever is under it. When you start pressing (some calibers more than others) you will quickly find out if your setup isn't solid.

I used these plans to build my bench, although I didn't do the cabinet part, just the bench. The cabinet is very nice but I'm not that industrious!

Reloading Bench Plans
That is a nice set of plans, being I am a woodworker perhaps I will build one myself..Thank You

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Welcome to the Addiction! IMHO reloading changes your life! Sometimes I think that become a Crack addict may have been cheaper. Reloading is awesome and gives you a whole new satisfaction and appreciation in the shooting world.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I would like to get started (reloading) but many of the components are in absentia.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yoda, you can pick up things as they come available. I was picking up supplies and tools just a little at a time since last summer. Once I had bullets brass and primers, I started collecting up tools. Then when Sandy Hook came along, that put a bigger hamper on my efforts. I started going through Midway USA and other venders online that gave the "contact me when available" option for the products I needed that were "out of stock, no backorder".

Slow and steady, I'm finally there.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Small pistol primers have been added to the endangered species list. Followed closely by bullets.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes indeed. Sign up for those midway notifications and check your email several times a day. I've seen Federal Primers come available within the last 2 weeks. But they are generally sold out within the first 6 hours. I managed to score 1000 Hornaday XTP bullets that way. The very next day they were sold out. "Unavailable/No backorder".

You can find the $35 Lee Loader kits that have everything you need to load 1 caliber on most sights. It's a handy tool that I used recently before I got my Lee press. I loaded several hundred rounds through it without a problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts