Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the opinions or suggestions for the best lubricants for semi-auto guns? Such as slide lubrication.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Opinions will always vary and much depends on what folks individually like and rate.

I learned a while ago that my SIG 226 does NOT like grease on the rails! Tetra Grease, Militech Grease - just acted like a crud magnet and the drag that occurred was amazing! Enough to make std pressure ammo malfunction due to a compromized slide excursion.

I now use Militec1, Mobil1 or CLP - the main thing is, to clean and lube that bit more often IMO - without over cleaning. Just a wipe down of slide rails and re-lube sparingly is good.

Overall with lube IMO - less is more and it should be a minimalist excercize. That so in particular with internals - revo especially.

Modern lubes are so good overall that I doubt any one ''has it'' for absolute best. I will add tho - never ever use WD40 as a lube - it ain't. It is a water displacer and when volatile content has evaporated a gummy crud can be left as a residue.

Some lubes with additives - teflon for example are well thought of by some and certainly if running steel slide on aluminum frame - regular lube maintenance is essential.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I use the stuff from Wilson Combat, seems to work well. What P95 said is true, I think -- less is more and don't use WD-40. The yellow gunk it leaves is hard to get off (so I've heard, of course...... ).

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I use Wilson Ultima-Lube grease on the rails, disconnector and barrel lugs of my 1911's. The oil everywhere else applicable.

Don't over-lube and be sure to wipe away the excess.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I use TW-25B. The stuff is used on high-speed military armament mounts and on the internals of high-speed automatic weapons. It doesn't degrade much with heat, doesn't go thick in the cold, and a very little goes a long way. It is also what SigArms included with my P226ST. It makes a very slick surface, but does not attract debris, and doesn't gunk up. The oil made from the same product is excellent for internals.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Follow manufacturer's recommendations...

My KT's need a good lithium grease on the rails, my Browning .22 starts jamming if I put grease on it, a few drops of good gun oil is all it needs. 10/22, I rarely do more than a squirt of solvent, and run a bore snake through it. Revolvers, I just run a slightly oily patch through it after cleaning, and put a single drop into the action. Still learning how much lube the AR15 likes.

Over lubrication just causes more grime.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Fp-10

FP-10 (Fire Power 10) has an entire clean & lube system out now.
FP-10 is used by:
Navy SEALs, Smith&Wesson, Wesson Arms Mfg, Caspian Arms, The FBI,
Barrett Firearms Mfg., Olympic/Safari Arms, Sierra Bullets,
Ed Brown, Jim Clark, Jim Garthwaite, Waldo Lydecker(Dean Spier),
Neal Fortin, Accurate Plating & Weaponry, AMT, Bar-Sto,
Birdsong Associates, Coonan Arms, Firearms Training Consultants,
Kim Ahrends, Kit Ravenshear, Kings Gunworks, U.S. Army National Guard, 82nd Airborne Rangers, Guncraft Sports, Champion Firearms...and more.

Disotec XFR by Blue Wonder is also GREAT STUFF for firearm internals.
It's a bit expensive BUT, a little bit goes a LONG way.:yup:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Miletec-1

Ti

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Been using FP-10 since '88.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I have used CLP for more years than care-
to mention.
It work's for me, here in S.FL.there is some pretty adverse
conditions.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I, like many others, have discovered that less is better. Just enough of whatever good stuff you like to put a thin film on it and you should be good to go.

And, like cmidkiff said, each gun can be different. If it doesn't work right for you, try something of a different viscosity.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I use Tetra-Gun grease on the slide rails of my 1911 and it runs like a champ. I wouldn't recommend the grease on a pistol that's fit tighter however. My Kahr P9 didn't work well with the grease at all.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use Militec-1 or FP-10 depending on which gun I'm lubing. On new semi-autos I'll occasionally hand lap slide to frame using a graphite grease, then clean again and lube as above.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I bought a tub of Brian Enos's slide glide awhile back. It's expensive. It looks like bearing grease, smells like bearing grease, tastes like (ok - so I'm not sure about that one) ... so I tried breaing grease - and it works about the same. I still use the slide glide because I still have a tub - but will occasionally use bearing grease and I can't tell the difference.

Give it a shot - you won't be disappointed - a little bearing grease will make the gun slicker than snot and it's about the cheapest option out there. Or, if you're looking to spend the cash - look in midway's catalog and you can see just about every one has come up with a snazzy hot-selling way to sell... grease.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts