Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For all of you combat military folk ...

1. Are both semi-auto and select-fire variants of the M-16 / AR-15 issued to U.S. battlefield forces? Or, is it strictly the select-fire version?

2. Are semi-auto M-16 / AR-15's issued to non-combat staff (base guards, drivers, folks in non-combat theaters)?

With all this anti-gunner hype surrounding these so-called "military-style" weapons on the streets of our towns, I was just wondering what's actually true.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Colt

·
Registered
12 Posts
For all of you combat military folk ...

1. Are both semi-auto and select-fire variants of the AR-15 issued to U.S. battlefield forces? Or, is it strictly the select-fire version?

2. Are semi-auto AR-15's issued to non-combat staff (base guards, drivers, folks in non-combat theaters)?

With all this anti-gunner hyper around these so-called "military-style" weapons on the streets of our towns, I was just wondering what's actually true.
I was a reservist in the signal corps and was issued a select fire for yearly quals stateside and while in Kuwait/Iraq.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe that ALL of the AR type rifles issued by the military are select fire....
Semi-Auto only for us civilians, unless you know a guy and have $20-25K laying around....I know a guy, but I'm to busy buying other guns to let that kind of money stack up... Do you know how many Colt 1911's you can buy for that amount of money? :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
To my knowledge, being a Vet and all, The Military has never issued AR-15's for combat because they are not select fire. Reason is, The AR-15 is the civillian model of the M-16A2 which is standard military issue and is select fire with 3rnd burst or full auto(Courtesy of requests by USMC)

Keep in mind that the AR-15 "IS NOT AN ASSAULT WEAPON but, merely an "ASSAULT STYLE" weapon.

Not sure if LEO's are issued M-16's but, it's my opinion and that being if I were an officer of the law, I would want an M-16 full auto in my arsenal with as many 30rnd mags as possible so I can have as good or better firepower than the criminal shooting at me! Just my opinion!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do you know how many Colt 1911's you can buy for that amount of money? :)
You can buy enough so that When you start shooting, they will think you have a select-fire AR15 :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Poseidon

·
Registered
21 Posts
The M16 Rifle and M4 Carbine variants the Army currently use are select-fire (safe, semi, burst), though I have seen a Vietnam-era M4 in the hands of an Air Force Combat Camera that was full-auto capable (He was quite the envy of the Infantrymen while out on mission with it). They are not, and never were, AR-15s. Non-combat arms usually had the M16 Rifle (A2 or some A4), some had the M4A1 Carbine. The majority of M4s were reserved for the Joe's kickin' in doors, patrolling, and riding in Humvees all day. Not much reason to give an M4 to a Fobbit when a 10-year-old M16 they can't be bothered to clean will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
Military issues M-16 ( selective fire either 3 shot bursts or full auto) They contract thru companies like Colt, brand could vary if a different branch of the military contracted something specific.

Civilian AR-15 ( semi auto only)

does not mean a civilian can not own one or that an AR-15 Won't show up on a military range.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The standard combat rifle for all US forces is some variant of the M16 or M4; select fire, meaning SAFE/SEMI/BURST. The Marines held out on the M4 for a while and have more M16 variants than I'm familiar with. Special Operations Forces are often equipped with the M4A1, which is capable of full auto instead of burst. There are other variants, like firing port rifles that have no sights and fire full auto only, but those above are the standard.

The "old" M4s mentioned above were called CAR-15s. The Air Force calls it the GAU-5. These are basically old M16A1s (full auto) with a shorter barrel (I've seen them as short as like 10") and the old style collapsible stock. I think the air force is the only branch still using them. They're not real keen on spending $$$ on "Army" stuff like rifles!

All the M4A1s I was issued were made by Colt originally. Some of the GAU-5s were marked "Armalite."

·
Registered
58 Posts
AR-15 rifles on the battlefield: what types??

Marine Corps, 1979 through 1982.
Back in my day, all marines were considered infantry with a "secondary" MOS...no disrespect to the 03 Marines. Mine was 2651, Special Intelligence Communications Operator.
I, along with everyone else, was armed with a Colt M-16 w/select fire...safety, fire (semi) and full.
Our side arm was a Colt 1911, 45 cal.

Semper Fi !!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
IIRC back during NAM the ARVN and Indigenous Forces (Montagnards) were issued the AR15 without the auto select the reason being that in contact most of the ARVN shot everything but what was shooting at them Trees,Sky,Ground,so they issued them a gun that would allow them a little extra time to waste all their ammo,My Issue gun in the USAF Security Police in 1976 was a Colt AR15 "said so on the Magwell" but was select fire safe/semi/auto

·
Registered
21 Posts
The standard combat rifle for all US forces is some variant of the M16 or M4; select fire, meaning SAFE/SEMI/BURST. The Marines held out on the M4 for a while and have more M16 variants than I'm familiar with. Special Operations Forces are often equipped with the M4A1, which is capable of full auto instead of burst. There are other variants, like firing port rifles that have no sights and fire full auto only, but those above are the standard.

The "old" M4s mentioned above were called CAR-15s. The Air Force calls it the GAU-5. These are basically old M16A1s (full auto) with a shorter barrel (I've seen them as short as like 10") and the old style collapsible stock. I think the air force is the only branch still using them. They're not real keen on spending $$$ on "Army" stuff like rifles!

This!

By the way, I went to La Vista Jr. High and graduated from Papillion! I lived near the corner of 72nd and Harrison...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have seen nothing but Colt M4 Carbines issued to regular troops. All select fire. The special tactic squadrons ive worked with all had HK416's. Obviously select fire as well.

·
Super Moderator
19,938 Posts
Reactions: JD

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
M4/M16s are select fire. Some units in different branches have full-auto M16s/M4s, but generally they are 3 round burst. All are switchable to semi-auto.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
My issue rifle (M-16A1) was manufactured by the Turbo Hydramatic division of General Motors. Select fire.

·
Registered
42,984 Posts

Heck no. We had to pay the contractor for pool maintenance, the gardner to take care of the base grounds, and that shipment of snowcrab legs for the "dining facility" didn't come cheap.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
The "old" M4s mentioned above were called CAR-15s. The Air Force calls it the GAU-5
USAF SP Canine carried the GAU5's on my Base RAF Bentwater/Woodbridge England,closed after the Cold War froze over, they were the original Colt Commando M16 10.5" bbl with 5.5" flash hider

1 - 20 of 24 Posts