·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
I hope they improved the trigger.

Reactions: zonker1986

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I saw that from S&W this morning and called the LGS. They are supposed to have 10 on the way. Surprised they had not released a 10mm M&P sooner.

Thought I had decided on the Springfield XD-M Elite and then this thing comes out.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
I hope it does well. The 10mm is a round that deserves to become a leader in the ccw community. The more firearms that chamber it, the better.

Reactions: Bigsteve113

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think 10mm is overkill for CCW. Any of the guns in this line (and most 10mm guns in general) are pretty big for CCW. And people who complain about. 40 recoil are NOT going to like full bore 10mm.

Having said that, I'm sure a lot of people will love these guns. I could see getting g one, but probably not for CCW.

I hope it does well. The 10mm is a round that deserves to become a leader in the ccw community. The more firearms that chamber it, the better.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
I think 10mm is overkill for CCW. Any of the guns in this line (and most 10mm guns in general) are pretty big for CCW. And people who complain about. 40 recoil are NOT going to like full bore 10mm.

Having said that, I'm sure a lot of people will love these guns. I could see getting g one, but probably not for CCW.
Since retiring to East Tennessee, 10mm is the only thing I carry outside of town. In town I still keep my P365 in my right front pocket. But when I travel the mountains, especially crossing state lines into Virginia or NC. I carry either a Glock M29 or a Springfield Armory TRP 1911. For the record, I have owned two shorty forty Glocks (M23 & M27) and sold them both because I hated the excessive muzzle jump. I don’t have any problems with my 10mm’s. They recoil just like a +P .45ACP. Maybe a bit less even. My 1911 TRP is a full sized Government model, all steel. So that helps counter the recoil. The Glock M29 just seems the same. I carry low recoil low flash Buffalo Bore tactical loads, usually. I always have a heavy Bear load handy in a spare magazine. Big spike in the local Bear population with lots of unexpected encounters. I love to fish for Trout. Bears like Trout too. Lots of local fishing spots have state signs requesting that catches not be cleaned onsite. There’s good reason for that request. I think that for rural carry, the 10mm is a fine choice. Back when we lived and worked in Miami, Florida I always carried a Commander size 1911 .45ACP. I don’t see much difference. Neither did Jeff Cooper.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
It was sent to me I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, I just bought a Compact XDM Elite 3.8" 10mm so I will look at it.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
People complain about the recoil from a .40?
Not the recoil, per se. I hated the muzzle flip. It was something that happened at the wrist not something that translated to my entire arms or upper body like a .44 magnum or bigger (like my .460 magnum) would present.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I talk CCW I'm thinking of two legged varmints. Bear are a completely different subject. If I thought I'd be possibly dealing with bear, I'd probably be going with a revolver, probably .44 magnum. Even for black bear, I think 10mm is marginal at best. And I probably wouldn't be too worried about concealment.

Since retiring to East Tennessee, 10mm is the only thing I carry outside of town. In town I still keep my P365 in my right front pocket. But when I travel the mountains, especially crossing state lines into Virginia or NC. I carry either a Glock M29 or a Springfield Armory TRP 1911. For the record, I have owned two shorty forty Glocks (M23 & M27) and sold them both because I hated the excessive muzzle jump. I don’t have any problems with my 10mm’s. They recoil just like a +P .45ACP. Maybe a bit less even. My 1911 TRP is a full sized Government model, all steel. So that helps counter the recoil. The Glock M29 just seems the same. I carry low recoil low flash Buffalo Bore tactical loads, usually. I always have a heavy Bear load handy in a spare magazine. Big spike in the local Bear population with lots of unexpected encounters. I love to fish for Trout. Bears like Trout too. Lots of local fishing spots have state signs requesting that catches not be cleaned onsite. There’s good reason for that request. I think that for rural carry, the 10mm is a fine choice. Back when we lived and worked in Miami, Florida I always carried a Commander size 1911 .45ACP. I don’t see much difference. Neither did Jeff Cooper.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
When I talk CCW I'm thinking of two legged varmints. Bear are a completely different subject. If I thought I'd be possibly dealing with bear, I'd probably be going with a revolver, probably .44 magnum. Even for black bear, I think 10mm is marginal at best. And I probably wouldn't be too worried about concealment.
We’ve got open carry here in Tennessee, but I still conceal anyway. I’m very comfortable with 10mm in terms of Bears. Black Bears, anyway. If I was in Grizzly country I’d be carrying my .460 magnum. Anything else, given the appropriate loading, I’m pretty confident that the 10mm can handle it. Especially when it concerns two legged varmints. I think it’s perhaps the best “all around” caliber for handgun.

Reactions: bigpapa and Bad Bob

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
10mm...for when ya just can't handle a 44;)
I had a .44 magnum earlier this year and it had an aluminum frame. Fired it with a heavy Bear load and damn if I didn’t sprain my right thumb for weeks! Getting old truly sucks. I think I can still fire my big .460, but it’s all steel and ported. When I used to set that thing off on an indoor range, the entire line would go silent at my first shot. When I finally left, the line offered an ovation!

Reactions: entertainment72

·
Registered
16,032 Posts

Why do you say the 10mm is overkill for CCW? The 10mm mirrors high end 357 mag loads and low end 41 mag loads from revolvers. There are people who were not stopped by those rounds.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as overkill, I would use my 12 gauge if I could conceal it.

In my Wilson Combat 10mm I can't tell much difference between a hot 40 and a stout 10mm reload, certainly not enough to worry about if one is proficient. The biggest difference is how much farther 10mm brass fly's.

·
Registered
16,032 Posts
The 10mm has taken over in Alaska for wilderness protection. Those folks know a thing or two about the subject. I would probably carry my 10mm over my 44 mag if in country where I was on the menu.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Don't want to totally derail the thread but I'm curious what 44 Magnum has an aluminum frame?
I had a .44 magnum earlier this year and it had an aluminum frame. Fired it with a heavy Bear load and damn if I didn’t sprain my right thumb for weeks! Getting old truly sucks. I think I can still fire my big .460, but it’s all steel and ported. When I used to set that thing off on an indoor range, the entire line would go silent at my first shot. When I finally left, the line offered an ovation!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I currently have a Glock 20 for a woods sidearm but am seriously considering the M&P 2.0 10mm, though I'm typically not one to jump on the new gun bandwagon and tend to wait a year or two for others to try it first. I know my G20 will handle the hotter 10mm loads from Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and Underwood, the question is, can the new M&P 2.0?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts