Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm looking for a good pocket/ankle carry gun and the smith and wesson M&P 340 CT seems like it would fit the bill nicely. Anyone have any thoughts on this revolver or any reviews/comments. Thinking of picking one up in the next week or two and would like to hear some feedback from others who have shot/own one.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I personally have the gun without the CT. It is an excellent carry gun. Very lightweight. Slips into a pocket and makes you forget it. Love the Big Dot sight. You wont be disappointed. For what it is intended to do it is very effective firepower an relatively accurate at fighting distances.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Great gun. I own its sister model (340sc) and have the CT grips both for sighting as well as for a larger purchase on the grip. Helps tremendously with managing recoil for a fast follow-up shot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A near-perfect combination. One of my favorite carry guns.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I love my 340 M&P, it's with me almost all the time. It carries very well in jean or cargo pants pockets and I even got a CrossBreed MiniTuck so I can carry on my waist.
Mine doesn't have the CT grips, I didn't think I would need them, they were more expensive, and I was worried about them adding extra bulk to the gun. I would definately recommend this firearm, you won't be disappointed with it at all.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Great to carry, couldn't shoot it past 7yds (trigger pull from hell - even after gunsmith work, springs, etc). Hurts to shoot it after 10-15rnds (too light is good for carry, not for practice - and if you don't practice with it how can you be good with it...?). Got rid of it and got me a 1911 (good from contact to @100yds).

Its a great pocket/contact gun that fills some specific needs, just not mine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Love to carry mine, don't like to shoot it. Even standard .38 rounds are uncomfortable. +p hurt. .357 is out of the question. I use some .38 +p 125gr Nyclads to carry. I can manage fast follow ups. No more than 25 rounds at a time for practice though.

Accurate enough to 15 yards (about 3" groups or less offhand). At 25 yards, medium to fast paced fire, only half the rounds are on a standard paper plate. For me I am actually more accurate with the sights than the CT, but I keep them on for night use. If I were to do it again, I probably would have gone 442. I kept thinking "well, some people say they can shoot the .357, and I have big hands, and don't normally mind recoil, so..." Wrong. Felt like someone hit my hand with a baseball bat. Fast follow ups are impossible.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I went back and forth between 442 and the M&P 340. I didn't care about .357, but wanted the XS Big Dot. Found a place that would convert 442 to Big Dot, but had 10 month wait and was like $150.

I rented an LCR and 442. LCR trigger was much smoother/lighter and had a hinged front site...XS Big Dot will be available soon for it. I bought an LCR.

Since getting, I now think that everyone should have a snubbie. Be it a Jframe, LCR, whatever. I would try and rent before you buy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got the call. My M&P 340 is in. Picking it up on Tuesday. I can't wait to try out some different loads.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I don't have the CT grips on it. Mine is very easy to carry and not even know it's there, when I carry it on my hip. Very good pocket gun, but not as comfortable. A lot of recoil.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have had a set of CT's on my 342PD for about a year. Not exactly the same as yours but pretty close. It is now my favorite J-frame. The CT's add low light and bad position capability. Good tool to add.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts