Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying the 40 compact. I know most of you prefer not to have a manual safety. I think there may be times for me personally that I would feel more comfortable having one being I have never carried a semi without one. Do you see any disadvantage to buying th M&P 40C with the safety and then in the future if I choose to just not use it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
I will be buying the 40 compact. I know most of you prefer not to have a manual safety. I think there may be times for me personally that I would feel more comfortable having one being I have never carried a semi without one. Do you see any disadvantage to buying th M&P 40C with the safety and then in the future if I choose to just not use it?

Thanks
Hi,

I personaly can't stand a manual safety, but some of the 1911 guys might differ then I. It just comes down to not having to mess around with it getting in the way when you need you gun.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
If you buy a gun with a safety then practice using the gun by disengaging the safety everytime you draw,worst case scenario is you carry with safety off and during the day the safety gets bumped on,you run into BG pull gun and try to squeeze trigger,but no bang,in the mean time you become a lead magnet

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just have this tremendous fear of re-holstering the gun and having part of the holster or something get hung up on the trigger and bang, trip to hospital. Or, carrying is IWB around 4 or 5 O'clock riding in the car and something rubbing against it and same end result.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Snicking off the safety must become part of your muscle memory. In times of stress, you can't be thinking about it, but it must be automatic.

That is why if you have different guns which you carry at different times, depending, for example, upon time of year, what you are wearing, etc., IMO they should all have a manual safety or none should, because you can't have to think about which gun you are carrying at a moment of crisis.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
With my 1911's, the removal of the manual safety was something that happened when the gun left the holster...without thinking about it.
I was switching back and forth between a Kimber and a Glock (no manual safety)...that wasn't a problem.

However, I recently decided to stick with the Glock and eliminate the manual safety altogether...the 'finger' is the ultimate safety anyway. Now there is only a finger between a BG and my self-defense...only you can decide what works for you.
Do you really think that a manual safety makes things any safer? If so, than you have answered your own question as to 'the need'.:22a:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I just have this tremendous fear of re-holstering the gun and having part of the holster or something get hung up on the trigger and bang, trip to hospital.
First, you should not need to re-holster your gun very often. This can be easily solved by using your fear to make you extra vigilant... to make sure there is nothing to catch on the trigger when you are re-holstering. Then practice, practice, practice re-holstering with your gun unloaded, until you feel comfortable. These types of accidents happen because of complacency and carelessness.

Or, carrying is IWB around 4 or 5 O'clock riding in the car and something rubbing against it and same end result.
If you are carrying in a quality holster, the trigger will be covered and nothing can get to it. If you are carrying without a holster, you deserve a trip to the hospital...

·
Registered
190 Posts

Thanks
Either train for getting the safety off automatically when your life is on the line.
Or train to keep your finger off the trigger when not wanting to fire your weapon.

I carry the M&P40c and it won’t fire unless you pull the trigger like most modern firearms. (Glocks and XDs etc.) I almost got the safety version and I’m glad I didn’t.

I guess get a safety if you can’t practice draw your weapon without touching trigger.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I am saying is:

If it gives me piece of mind initially to have a safety is there any disadvantage to having a safety on the gun and then get comfortable to not using it? I don't know, maybe it is crazy and I am thinking to much here????

·
Registered
59 Posts
What I am saying is:

If it gives me piece of mind initially to have a safety is there any disadvantage to having a safety on the gun and then get comfortable to not using it? I don't know, maybe it is crazy and I am thinking to much here????
In the scenario described above, here are potential disadvantages:

1) The safety could be moved from off to the on position without you knowing it. I had a M&P45, and while I liked having the safety I would have preferred it to be a little more positive when moving it from one position to the other. Though if you always shoot by covering the safety, it shouldn't be an issue.

2) The safety could fail, though I'd think this is highly remote.

Nothing wrong with wanting a safety at all, as long as you train with it.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
My EDC is the 40c with no safety, one less thing to think about.

Only time I use a safety is while hunting, not worried about the game shooting back.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I used to always want a safety because I was mistakenly confusing "more safeties on the gun" with a "safer gun". The answer is in practise and having good, solid "dont put your finger on the trigger" and "always assume any gun is loaded" skills. I am completely comfortable with my Glocks and Kahr, and LCP and S&W revolvers...and they all have the same safety, my finger. So, if you really practise good safe handling skills, the safety can become a non-issue.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think if you buy it, at some time your probably going to realize it wasn't needed and regret it. One suggestion...buy with out the safety and don't chamber a round. Then after you realize I really didn't need the safety, start chambering a round.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wasn't really my finger I was worried about. It was more the unforseen I don't know what.

Then I realized that the S&W 60 I have for the last 25 years or so has no safety and I have been carrying it in an ankle holster that doesn't cover the trigger.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I carry an M&P 9c with no manual safety 90% of the time. There are times when I have to leave it in the truck, so I know about reholstering a striker fired gun.

I usually let my trigger finger drop BEHIND the trigger before sliding the gun down. When my finger hits the holster, I slide it out as the gun goes down. It has become second nature now, but I used to stress about getting "glock leg" until I started doing this.

Flame away, but when you try it, it works. I know what some people are thinking, but the M&P has a lot of room behind the trigger. No chance of messing it up, as it takes a very different reach to put your finger ON the trigger.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I like the M&P line alot - but - don't like their thumb safety - looks & feels too much like an afterthought "add-on" to me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Another thing to think about is If you Ever Think u might want to put a set of Crimson Trace Laser grips on it , they will not fit on an M&P with the thumb safety, trust me I know LOL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts