Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been having a rough time using the M&P as my EDC. I already knew I had to wear an undershirt with the aggressive grip texture but it is ruining my undershirts and ripping them up.

Is there anyone else having this issue? Should I just man up and stop complaining? Does it wear down over time?

Would love to hear how you guys circumvent this issue when you carry it as an EDC.

p.s. I know some of you guys probably sand it down, which is what I may eventually do... but I'd like to know if I'm just overreacting and I'll eventually get used to it?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I dressed the "skin" side of my Shield 45 with fine grit sandpaper to remove the "tooth" from the texture. Just do it lightly and try it in between administrations until it feels good to you. I use 320 or 400 grit W?D paper on a soft pad. Pretty simple really.

I've done a number of M&Ps since then for friends and such. No loss in handling, just an improvement in carry comfort.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I sanded my M2.0 Compact using 150 grit paper. I just did it lightly and checked the progress frequently so that I would not overdo it. It still has plenty of texture for a good grip, but it no longer wears on or sticks to my clothes.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That was my opinion when I held one last year. I thought the grip texture was a tad on the aggressive side. It certainly didn't make me want one.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I EDC a Shield .45 and have never even thought about the grips being aggressive. Had it since it was new but maybe the grips are worn as it gets quite a workout every week. I agree with QuickQuestionAnon, it does shoot like a dream. Only .45 I have every shot with zero barrel flip.

·
Premium Member
33,908 Posts
I carry mine AIWB next to my skin, and don't have a problem with the texture. When I carried 2.0 M&P's at 3:00, I hit the contact areas lightly with sandpaper, which solved the abrasiveness problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I bought my M&P M2.0 4" Compact a couple of years ago, it hurt my hands as I just wasn't used to the aggressive texturing. However, I noticed after a few days up to maybe a week of dry fondling it extensively my hands adjusted similar to how the skin on my fingers thicken to develop calluses learning to play the guitar (or when you haven't picked one up in a long while). In other words, our skin can adapt so I always tell people not to sand down their grips until they explore other options because once you remove material there's no adding it back later.

I know your hands aren't the problem, but I point this out because luckily your problem is easier to fix (because if someone's hands can't adjust, there are fewer options). That said, I would rather buy new undershirts more frequently than sacrifice the purchase I can get on a grip. Personally, I have have sensitive skin, but I can carry the M&P M2.0 appendix no problem even without a t-shirt between my pistol and body. I can't carry TalonGrips of the sandpaper (granulate) variety, however, but the M2.0 texturing was easy to get used to.

Talon has also come out recently with a third type of texturing called the Pro series. I mention this because the rubberized texture does nothing for my hands. People grip things slightly differently depending on their skin, and while the rubberized TalonGrips improve the purchase for many people on a Gen4 or Gen5 Glock, for example, I actually think they make it worse. However, the more aggressive granulate grip rips up the skin on my abdomen, but the Pro texturing is a cross between the two. I just received mine for a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact and haven't installed it yet, but that is another option. As such, I recommend exploring TalonGrip options or something similar before modifying a gun which should be an option of final resort in my opinion.

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Emory cloth is your friend.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Let's just say that if I could, I would change every other gun I own, or will own, to the wonderful M&P 2.0 texture. No other handgun has stayed planted in the hand the way my 2.0s do.

Have you noticed that folks have pretty much stopped strippling M&PS since the new texture was introduced? The strippling industry is going the way of buggy whip manufacturing, like when the automobile was introduced.

Reactions: Pete63

·
Registered
302 Posts
I carry mine AIWB next to my skin, and don't have a problem with the texture.
That said, I would rather buy new undershirts more frequently than sacrifice the purchase I can get on a grip. I can carry the M&P M2.0 appendix no problem even without a t-shirt between my pistol and body.
My experience echos you guys. I appendix carry a 2.0 Compact daily and in this warm weather it's under a T-shirt with nothing between the gun and my skin. It doesn't bother me at all. I can see signs that it will eventually wear a hole in my T where it rubs against it but I don't see that as a deal breaker.

Let's just say that if I could, I would change every other gun I own, or will own, to the wonderful M&P 2.0 texture. No other handgun has stayed planted in the hand the way my 2.0s do.
And this is the main point. I love how it feels in my hands. I bought a Ruger Security 9 which is similar in size and right away I hated how slippery the grip was. I had to add a grip sleeve and it's still not as good as the Smith. In my opinion the texture of the M&P grip is perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I used #400 sandpaper on my P45. It was so rough it would tear up my skin just shooting it, not to mention what it did to my side. Just a very light sanding did the trick in removing the sharp edges of the grip.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just bought a new 2.0 and don't care for the stippling , I sanded just a little and the 1.0 and 2.0 backstraps interchange

·
Registered
104 Posts
I too sanded my 2.0 compact and 2.0 shield, wear either or every day against my skin without issue. I won’t go back to another non stippled pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts