Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience with the M&P Shield ported 3" barrel? I held one in LGS and I liked the grip angle and the trigger pull. Nice size for CCW. I wish they would stop temping me like that.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I have had to handguns with ported barrels .. Both 357 mag snbbies .. One a Taurus 605 , other a Charter 357 mag .. Both were noticably more controllable and allowed quicker more accurate follow up shots ...

As for the S&W Sheild... They seem to have a loyal following and S&W stands behind they're products ...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I would like to try one...but to be honest...I can't imagine that I would like it a lot better than the one I already have.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I don't think I'd want a ported barrel on a defensive handgun. I think shooting from retention position with the gun in close would be loud and distracting, not to mention dirty with the gases blowing up toward your face.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't think I'd want a ported barrel on a defensive handgun. I think shooting from retention position with the gun in close would be loud and distracting, not to mention dirty with the gases blowing up toward your face.
Agree......Ported barrel on the Shield wouldn't be my first choice to carry. My EDC is a Shield 40.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hickok45 has a YouTube video on the ported Shield. My thought is that regardless of the benefits of porting and trigger enhancement, the fiber optic sight is probably alone worth the extra $50 over a standard Shield.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have one for my edc. Shoots great! Its not noticeably louder than an unported barrel and I've shot it at dusk and in near dark to check the flash and its not any more distracting that usual muzzle flash using flash suppressed powder. But get some cheap russian ammo in there and you have a good show! I like the fiber optic sight and the trigger is really improved over the standard shield.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I own both styles of Shield. I much prefer the PC ported in 9mm. I have experimented from most every shooting position including retention. The dreaded muzzle flash is non-existent. The recoil is less and the trigger is a decided advantage.

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
I have a regular 40 shield and a ported Glock. I do not agree with the negatives associated to the porting, work around it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have read all the information and its very helpful. So, I am going to pick up a ported Shield next week. I checked today and there are two available to me. I want a 9, but one has the optic sights...very cool...and the other the night sights. Which would you choose? I am leaning toward the more expensive on with the nights, however, as I say, the optics give a good sight picture in the light.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It is a lot of fun to shoot, my favorite

·
Banned
28 Posts
I want a 9, but one has the optic sights...very cool...and the other the night sights. Which would you choose? I am leaning toward the more expensive on with the nights, however, as I say, the optics give a good sight picture in the light.
If you mean a PC Shield with nightsights then I would go with that. (I haven't seen one yet but I know I heard they were coming out). The fiberoptic sights do zero in low light - you'd have only have the silloutte of the site.

I'd say the trigger is the most important part of the PC shield. The ports really don't do much pro or con imho.

·
Banned
28 Posts
I want a 9, but one has the optic sights...very cool...and the other the night sights. Which would you choose? I am leaning toward the more expensive on with the nights, however, as I say, the optics give a good sight picture in the light.
If you mean a PC Shield with nightsights then I would go with that. (I haven't seen one yet but I know I heard they were coming out). The fiberoptic sights do zero in low light - you'd have only have the silloutte of the sight and then nothing (obviously) in the dark.

I'd say the trigger is the most important part of the PC shield. The ports really don't do much pro or con imho. You could get similar results with the stock-vanilla shield w/ night sights and an aftermarket Apex trigger.

Also, the PC Shield requires you to have the external safety while you can get a no-external safety model within the vanilla versions.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I'd get the one with night sights.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Love the M&Ps. Great feeling and shooting guns. Fantastic ergonomics on them. You can really get a high grip. Love my full size 9. Will probably end up with a Shield 9 or 40 with a thumb safety at one point.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My 19C is one of my favorites, for carry.
(Subsequent posters should watch the three videos before knocking porting) :wink:[/QUOTE]

I don't have to watch any videos...........don't like porting period.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts