Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im torn between these 2 guns. I want to be able to conceal it easily with an IWB holster, but I also want more than 7 or 8 rounds.
The specs on these 2 guns are pretty close, the compact holds more ammo but it slightly larger. The shield is a lil smaller but holds less rounds.

Anyone carry the M&Pc as an edc? Easily concealed?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The M&P Compact is very easily carried concealed and is as small as I prefer to go with a carry gun. The slightly wider grip (vs. Shield) has three benefits that I appreciate: spreads recoil out through the palm more widely/softly, provides a more comfortable grip (not so thin), and allows more capacity (potentially very important). The difference in size between the two guns is insignificant to me in terms of concealability, so I will choose the M&P Compact every time. Awesome little pistol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are all points that I like with the compact version over the shield. There isnt much difference in length, but the compact has to be wider since it is double stack, right?

How does that leather holster keep the gun from falling out? Kydex kinda wraps around the gun

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Yes the compact is slightly wider and heavier than the shield. I prefer the compact for more ammo in the magazine and thicker grip seems easier to point and shoot. The leather hotter above has a screw near the mag release that tensions the holster to hold the pistol more or less secure depending on user preference.
Personally I tend to carry a double stack unless it is super hot, minimal clothing worn ( light shorts, t shirt ). I have both a shield and compact and find both work well enough.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If I was doing it...I would get the compact.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've owned and carried both. Of the two, my preference was the M&P C. My sons liberated them from my imperialistic oppression. Both wanted the M&P C and wound up flipping a coin...the loser got the Shield.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Those are all points that I like with the compact version over the shield. There isnt much difference in length, but the compact has to be wider since it is double stack, right?

How does that leather holster keep the gun from falling out? Kydex kinda wraps around the gun
The Compact is slightly wider... not much, certainly not enough to make it a problem for me to conceal.

The gun is very snug in the holster, and it is inner waistband. Not going anywhere I don't want it to go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 9mm already.. was leaning toward 9mm just to keep the ammo cheap and all the same. Can u elaborate on the .40 choice?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a 9mm already.. was leaning toward 9mm just to keep the ammo cheap and all the same. Can u elaborate on the .40 choice?
I personally prefer the .40 because it is different and because of its ballistics compared to the 9mm (no matter how insignificant others may think the difference is). If I'm gonna own a double stack, I'm gonna want a .40. To me the 9mm is good for smaller pistols such as the Shield (even though I have a .40 Shield). I'm not gonna get super in depth because I know there are other members who will.

However, seeing as you already have 9mm and aren't overly interested in adding a caliber, just stick to 9mm. Had I known that before hand I would have just said stick to what you got.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you are not able to collect lots of ammo, stick to the 9mm. I do collect ammo, already had a lot of 9, so when I bought my Shield, I did it with the express purpose of adding a 40s&w gun and ammo to my collection. This was my first 40. Probably won't buy any more. (BTW, I collect ammo now, because chances are very great that I won't be able to buy more than 250 rounds per month from next year, if Newsom's proposition passes, this being Kommie Kalifornia and all. I easily soot more than 500 rounds a month if it is just me shooting. When the wife, kids and in-law kids come along, it can be up to 1000 per outing).

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I carry both. Shield is a little more compact then the 9c. both great guns.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have never owned the Shield, but I do carry the M&P9c. I did own a Springfield XDS that is similar in size to the Shield. The main difference I could tell was in width and weight. Of those two weight was the most noticeable. The thickness is also noticeable, but as long as you plan for it (like have pants in a larger size to accomodate IWB) then that is not really an issue. The weight I was not prepared for. Fully loaded (12+1) with 124gr bullets my M&P9c weighs just shy of 2lbs (31.85 ounces). I thought it would be no problem since I owned a good gun belt, but it was uncomfortable at first. After trying 4 holsters I found one that works great. I guess what I am saying is I could carry the Springfield XDS in about any IWB holster and it was pretty comfortable. The M&P9c took a little more work to get the proper equipment to make it comfortable for me. That being said I am glad I stuck with it as I really like the M&P9c. As for 9mm vs .40. That is a never ending caliber debate. I already know the cartridge I like but if you do not then try to find a place where you can try them both. Either caliber will work well for self defense, pick the one you shoot the best. In the end accuracy trumps caliber by a mile (many miles really).

·
Premium Member
36,695 Posts
Im torn between these 2 guns. I want to be able to conceal it easily with an IWB holster, but I also want more than 7 or 8 rounds.
The specs on these 2 guns are pretty close, the compact holds more ammo but it slightly larger. The shield is a lil smaller but holds less rounds.

Anyone carry the M&Pc as an edc? Easily concealed?
You can't go wrong either way. Same with caliber. Easy to carry, reliable, fun and accurate to shoot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have never owned the Shield, but I do carry the M&P9c. I did own a Springfield XDS that is similar in size to the Shield. The main difference I could tell was in width and weight. Of those two weight was the most noticeable. The thickness is also noticeable, but as long as you plan for it (like have pants in a larger size to accomodate IWB) then that is not really an issue. The weight I was not prepared for. Fully loaded (12+1) with 124gr bullets my M&P9c weighs just shy of 2lbs (31.85 ounces). I thought it would be no problem since I owned a good gun belt, but it was uncomfortable at first. After trying 4 holsters I found one that works great. I guess what I am saying is I could carry the Springfield XDS in about any IWB holster and it was pretty comfortable. The M&P9c took a little more work to get the proper equipment to make it comfortable for me. That being said I am glad I stuck with it as I really like the M&P9c. As for 9mm vs .40. That is a never ending caliber debate. I already know the cartridge I like but if you do not then try to find a place where you can try them both. Either caliber will work well for self defense, pick the one you shoot the best. In the end accuracy trumps caliber by a mile (many miles really).
What holster did you end up getting that works best for your m&p compact?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I own both: two Shields and a 9c. I also have a 40c. One of my Shields is in my secondary carry stable and it is perfect for that category. Small, but not too small, thin, and feels great in the hand. And it shoots just fine with zero malfunctions so far. I use a DeSantis Mini Scabbard belt holster for it and that works great for my needs.

My M&P 9c is one of my primary carry guns and is carried often... very often. It has the Apex Tactical DCAEK installed but with the OEM factory trigger spring instead of the spring Apex includes with this kit. I use the large back strap to get a nice filling of my palm and the gun is just flat accurate. It has also never failed to go to battery or to fire. I carry it mostly in a DeSantis Mini Scabbard belt holster but also have a Fobus Evolution belt holster and a Comp-Tac belt holster for it. The 9c is an excellent choice for a primary carry pistol that fills the need for a fine compact gun.

The M&P 40c is just as nice and just as perfect as is the 9c. And it is one of the softest shooting .40S&W compact pistols I have ever fired. Very comfortable and very accurate. Mine also has the same Apex Tactical kit as mentioned above in my 9c. The best choice for a compact .40S&W as far as I'm concerned.

Do yourself a favor. Get a 9c and a Shield. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I liked both the Shield and the M&Pc. Fired and handled both of them. For me I decided on the Shield 40. I really like how easily it conceals, great for the warmer weather when in just shorts and tee shirts. If your looking for more ammo then go with the M&Pc. For me I am comfortable with the 7+1 in the shield. I think either one is a good choice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
This. This is why the M&P 9C is sometimes better than the Shield.

Couple of videos to watch that have encouraged me to carry a compact over a subcompact.
Enjoy.

[video]https://video.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/13930211_813979872070776_1287931811_n.mp4?efg=eyJy bHIiOjU3MCwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoic3ZlX3 NkIn0%3D&rl=570&vabr=317&oh=2bb8dde563f5d63adb9a7a41b27520fd&oe=5814BB0F[/video]

[video]https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/12865448_514400302080822_2115338470_n.mp4?efg=eyJy bHIiOjEyNTgsInJsYSI6MzAxNCwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJ2M1 80MjZfY3JmXzIzX21haW5fMy4wX3NkIn0%3D&rl=1258&vabr=699&oh=081afc0d4e84f4e56632d8b9352e2d34&oe=5812BE77[/video]

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Couple of videos to watch that have encouraged me to carry a compact over a subcompact.
Enjoy.

[video]https://video.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/13930211_813979872070776_1287931811_n.mp4?efg=eyJy bHIiOjU3MCwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoic3ZlX3 NkIn0%3D&rl=570&vabr=317&oh=2bb8dde563f5d63adb9a7a41b27520fd&oe=5814BB0F[/video]

[video]https://video-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/12865448_514400302080822_2115338470_n.mp4?efg=eyJy bHIiOjEyNTgsInJsYSI6MzAxNCwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJ2M1 80MjZfY3JmXzIzX21haW5fMy4wX3NkIn0%3D&rl=1258&vabr=699&oh=081afc0d4e84f4e56632d8b9352e2d34&oe=5812BE77[/video]
1. Clearly English is not their primary language.

2. Profanity is the effort of a feeble mind trying to express itself forcibly.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts