Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M&P9 issue - barrel breaking apart bullet? Holes on target outside of primary entry

I bought an M&P9 full size back in mid-late 2013. I only put about 150 rounds through it when I purchased it, and it's been sitting for about 2 years now unfired. I immediately realized an issue with the firearm the first time I shot it. It looks like little shrapnel exits the barrel and ends up on the target anywhere from 1"-12" away from the primary entry of the bullet. They look like little specs that are usually oblong shaped. I called S&W about this when it initially happened, but the customer service rep I got was not too helpful. He said he's never heard of it before and that it must be my ammo. I put the gun down at that point and haven't shot it since. Now, I'm having the issue again. I called S&W and received a prepaid FedEx label and will be shipping the gun in next week. Bad timing being that it's their factory shut down period the end of July, so repair can take up to 6 weeks.

My question - has anyone experienced anything like this with an M&P or any other firearms? I'm assuming there's an issue with the barrel. Just looking for some information so I can respond to S&W if they come back and tell me there's no issues. Sorry I don't have any photos of what the target looks like, but it has happened each time I shot the firearm with various types of FMJ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping S&W would attempt to replicate the issue at their facility.

I am going shooting tomorrow morning so will shoot a mag through the M&P so I can get some pics for you guys.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It would help S&W to see the problem that YOU are having...and they will try to replicate it for themselves, too. But...with a picture...they will know what you are talking about.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Clean it before you shot it? Including the barrel?
In not, do so. While cleaning, look at the barrel with a light and see if there is any areas that look abnormal.
Be sure to try shooting with a good, quality ammo

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
How close to the target are you shooting? What does the end of the barrel (crown) look like? What ammo?

Reactions: flintlock62

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Some ammo has very thin, almost plated jacketing. Federal Champion comes to mind. That combined with extra sharp edges in the barrel could be shaving the bullets and sending the shrapnel down range. Either way I'd want S&W to look at it.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Talk to S&W, if I remember correctly there were some M&P full size pistols had some barrel issues similar to what you are describing in 2013 I think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clean it before you shot it? Including the barrel?
In not, do so. While cleaning, look at the barrel with a light and see if there is any areas that look abnormal.
Be sure to try shooting with a good, quality ammo

Yes, cleaned before ever firing and after every range session as well. Barrel was cleaned thoroughly.

Here are a couple pics of the crown. Not sure if this shows much. The first will be going back to the factory early next week.

Sorry for the links, not seeing an option to upload directly to this post using the mobile site.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't think I would put any more rounds thru it.. just send it back to S&W, let them check it out.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
What I see frequently when shooting a few of my M&P's is a "swirl" type of aura around the hole the bullet makes. It is odd but not of any major concern. This doesn't happen with my M&P 9 Pro Series 4.25" barrel or my M&P 40, also in the 4.25" version.

The guns that make the swirl, do this after a few 5-shot groups have been fired. Their accuracy is not affected as they are quite accurate.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
How far are you shooting ?? Could be what your seeing is Powder stippling ?? That can happen with some brands up to 7 yards .

One picture showed and nothing can be seen .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts