Anyone use an M1 Carb for home defense?

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
No, but it would be a great choice.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Have owned one assembled from 100% original parts (WWII and Korean conflict) since 1998. Had it examined by an armorer who specialized in these types of firearms and he assured me that all of the parts were genuine original American period parts.

I won't use a long gun for home defense but were I to use my M1 Carbine, I would obtain ammunition for it that was intended for defensive use, not FMJ ammo. They are fine guns and in my opinion, probably the best looking carbine ever produced.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,461 Posts
I prefer a handgun and a 12 gauge shotgun for in home defense, but would not feel under-gunned with an M1 Carbine.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Since 1975. M1 Carbine in the trunk of my car as a police officer. M1 Carbine in the trunk of my car as a criminal investigator covering nearly half the state. Retired now, the M1 Carbine stays handy at home and goes along on road trips. Korea-vintage Seymour 30-round magazine in the mag well and 2 Inland WW2 15-round in the stock pouch.

Not the most powerful (110-grain bullet at ~1900FPS). Not the most accurate (6" groups at 100 yards). Far better than any handgun for serious social work.

US Carbine Caliber .30 M1 Inland Division (General Motors) 1943, all original, NRA good condition. Cost me $75 back in the day, probably worth $800-plus today (not for sale, thanks anyway).

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,461 Posts
I bought an M1 Carbine many years ago for $80 due to nostalgia from carrying an M2 Carbine in Viet Nam for awhile in 1965. The M2 was later replaced with an M-14.

I bought a case of surplus .30 carbine ammo and had fun shooting it. I discovered a Ruger Blackhawk single-action revolver in .30 carbine and bought it. It had the loudest crack when shooting it. After awhile, they ended up in the back of the safe and I sold them.

A few years later, I bought another pair with the same results. Then I had a third pair and ended up selling them again. I should have kept the first pair that cost me around $200 total. Now, I am looking at around $1,500 or more for a pair.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
It would be a nice piece to own. However, at the exorbitant prices everything is currently commanding, buying one is silly. I have perfectly serviceable carbines in similar calibers, and if I just want to use a classic for home defense, I can always use this one...

1959 Vintage Winchester 1894 30-30 With modern, easy to find ammo, about the same power as a 7.62X39 and very light and handy.

This in no way means I wouldn't like to own an M1 though.

BTW I'm pretty sure replacing this one would be quite a bit more costly than buying an M1.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Postives
1. They are very handy and light guns easy to bring to bear
2. 30 carbine esp at HD range is more then enough for the job
3. It is a "fud" looking gun so a good options for many states where you cant own a AR or the like ..Other then NJ who it seems hates them and bans them by name lol
4. Ammo is still easy to find not cheep as it once was but both plinking fmj and good SD ammo like gold dots are around ..And hunting ammo can be found as well

Negatives
1. Many just dont work .. Some m1 esp commerical and non GI ones have a lot of gemlins with them working .Some just works others just never work quite right.. The one I used a GI jammed a lot so not much faith in it
2. Mags are a big issues you will need to go though a few to find one that works ..They were meant to be tossed so not long term mags
3. Not the easiest guns to strip esp for somone who is not use to it ..Why you think it was the first US issued small arm to be only used with non corrosive ammo .....
4. Price a good working gun is easily 700-1k or more ..More if a good GI issues as they mostly work ..So price is often getting past the part of fun gun to gun to shoot only limited

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
1943 Underwood. Works great!!
Aim Surplus is selling Korean surplus 110g FMJ, 120 rounds on stripper clips, in a bandolier for $45.00. I got a few and they are all nice and shiny. Fired them at the range and they worked with zero issues. I also got a few boxes of PPU 110g SP, 50 round boxes for $17.95 ea. Interestingly, they were selling 50 round boxes of PPU 110g FMJ for the same price! Didn’t get any of those, though. I still see the bandoliers as a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
18,436 Posts
Why yes, yes the M1 Carbine is a crackerjack home defense rifle. I'm a believer Here the AR 15 goes in the safe while the M1 Carbine goes to work. I prefer its handling qualities over the AR 15's. If I need more punch than the M1 Carbine can deliver then I'll reach right past the AR 15 in favor of an M1 or M1A. It's compact enough for my purposes without a folding stock and it handles and points like a magic wand. I'm under no illusions that the cartridge is weak or inferior for I've had ample experience with it. I've seen deer shot with it and finally, a few years ago took one myself. One shot with a round nose soft point at 49 steps and the deer went down hard, front end first. Postmortem found that both shoulders were broken and the heart had a silver dollar sized hole through it as well. A .30-06 couldn't have done better.

A pair of M1 Carbines live here. The ratty Underwood (bottom) I've had most of my adult life and my dad turned over his Quality Hardware & Machine Company example to me a couple years back. I would not be with out an M1 Carbine and my wife loves it and uses it as well. Along with another rifle, it stands guard here. It rides around on the seat of the pickup when on our old family place. It makes the weekend all-night gun show security duty I do for promoter friends. It goes along on our marathon road trips to see our grandkids.

Here's a hoary ancient thread I posted here ages ago. There's even more water under the bridge since then with Carbine experience and it's all good.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yes. Mine was manufactured by Underwood in 1943, then after the war sent to Israel. It was brought back prior to 1986 and has no import marks.

One of the handiest HD weapons I’ve ever owned!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I like them just can't seem to be able to talk myself into purchasing one. Ammo a bit too pricey, rifle a bit too pricey and as mentioned before by Wrong Rec they can be a crap shoot in reliability. Home defense, CZ with 124gr gold dots to work my way to the 870 12g loaded with slugs if needed. If 15 rounds of 9mm and 12 rounds of 12g slugs didnt solve my HD problem I was probably screwed anyway.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BMC thanks for sharing your story. Here's what I did. Last January I bought a new Auto Ordnance M1 Carb. After a thorough cleaning, I took it out to the range for test firing. At least five to seven out of every ten rounds failed to feed. Same results with four different mags. Called Kahr, and the nice person said to send it back. It did so (at their expense) and within about two weeks I got it back. According to the work order they replaced most of the fire control system, springs and plungers. I was quite surprised over the amount of parts changed. It now fires flawlessly and and I am completely satisfied with the rifle. It now sits in a closet with 110 grain soft points for home defense, but I still take it out to the range because, well,, it's just really a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I was issued the M2 Carbine and that's what I had for most of my 1st tour. Just before TET we were issued M16's along with the VN 7th Division since Charlie had upgraded to AK-47s - or so we were told.

We made hooks out of plastic covered coat hangers and attached them to the side of our bed rails. That's where the Carbines rested at night. Very handy with a loaded magazine and an empty chamber. That would be a dandy place for a home defense Carbine if the bed were constructed similarly.

I wish I'd bought one early on years ago, but just never felt the urge strong enough or ran into that deal I couldn't refuse. Now I wish I had one. It's the perfect hd weapon for the smaller folks at home. During my second year I bought my own that had the folding stock. Loved that weapon. That stock was about a foot away from going into a box and being mailed home when my buddy over there asked if he could have it. He was getting ready to go out in the field and so how could I say no?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Mine was used for normal ranch duties, and probably the most fun-gun I've ever owned. Like a fool, I sold it in a time of need, and regret it. I'd love to have another, but there's no way I'll consider paying the price they go for now. So, it's the Mini-14 or Model 94 that has to do.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts