Defensive Carry banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Premium Member
Well ... it's a forum so everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but don't put a lot of stock in -direwolf1911- 's posts here about M1 Carbine or what ol' Carl has to say in the video either for both display rank ignorance about the topic of this thread.

MDTR? Really now. Cool acronym tossed out there.

75 gr. OTM 5.56 tac rounds - Well that's just ... wow, the way it rolls off the tongue! And 700 yards? Any ol' off-the-shelf AR is really that "viable a weapons system"?

Choose a 9mm carbine over .30 Carbine? Ya' don't say!

"Muns" was a nice touch and such a very clever way to shorten "munitions." So casually dropped in there too that it is bound to demonstrate an impressive grasp of the lingo, if not any actual shooting skills.

Sometimes a person becomes too wrapped up in tech and tacti-cool to see the forest for the trees and we're seeing a prime example here. Some folks just haven't experienced the M1 Carbine. Some folks just can't shoot straight if they can't use an M1 Carbine to hit a man-sized target to 200 yards or make him "jump and fetch" out to 300 yards.
Several thing's I'll add to this. FIRST & FOREMOST, Carl say"s: "I HATE THIS GUN"! OK, "how's that going to work out"? EVER time I see a utub review, & that's "about the first thing stated by reviewer", the reviewer is going to "dump on it", NO MATER WHAT! (surprise, surprise!) I believer I've seen this action by Carl before! Hates gun=it sucks. Then he talk's UP the Universal! 馃槀 Kind of funny, AND I can say this, BECAUSE THAT'S what I own! WHILE IT'S BEEN 100% reliable, with "ZERO" issue's, I think mine/them (Universal) ARE BOAT ANCHOR'S*. Can ONLY say I didn't pay but $75..00 for mine! IF HE want's to pay me $400.00 for mine (ONE TIME OFFER TO HIM/Carl ONLY, cool). IF, as you ( @direwolf1911 ) state, WHY didn't WE (the public) hear 1,000's of horror stories like (BUT different issue:wrong powder) were told about AR's. STILL, to this day in some peoples mind's AR's are the "M1 Carbine" of the Vietnam war! (YOUR comparison/different rifle) Finially, HE/Carl say's several time's, DID it's job! = "a substitute for only having a 1911"! SO, I guess "THOSE YEAR'S" when I had to rely on my Universal & a 1911 for home defense, "I WASN'T in such bad shape AFTER ALL"! OP DIDN'T ask: is an M1 Carbine comparable to a Garand, M1a, or AR for Home Defense? His "thread starter was":
Anyone use an M1 Carb for home defense? Heck, I've even moved past using the "pencil barrel Mini-14" I own. Back to .45 acp, as OFTEN as not. **(pic below)

*Hope I'm not offending anyone here with that phrase, BUT it does go with all I've heard about my Universal, over many decades of ownership.

100_0450 (1).JPG

Premium Member
@bmcgilvray I watched the video & missed that acc. "MDTR". What was that?

Super Moderator

Premium Member
Several thing's I'll add to this. FIRST & FOREMOST, Carl say"s: "I HATE THIS GUN"! OK, "how's that going to work out"? EVER time I see a utub review, & that's "about the first thing stated by reviewer", the reviewer is going to "dump on it", NO MATER WHAT! (surprise, surprise!) I believer I've seen this action by Carl before! Hates gun=it sucks. Then he talk's UP the Universal! 馃槀 Kind of funny, AND I can say this, BECAUSE THAT'S what I own! WHILE IT'S BEEN 100% reliable, with "ZERO" issue's, I think mine/them (Universal) ARE BOAT ANCHOR'S*. Can ONLY say I didn't pay but $75..00 for mine! IF HE want's to pay me $400.00 for mine (ONE TIME OFFER TO HIM/Carl ONLY, cool). IF, as you ( @direwolf1911 ) state, WHY didn't WE (the public) hear 1,000's of horror stories like (BUT different issue:wrong powder) were told about AR's. STILL, to this day in some peoples mind's AR's are the "M1 Carbine" of the Vietnam war! (YOUR comparison/different rifle) Finially, HE/Carl say's several time's, DID it's job! = "a substitute for only having a 1911"! SO, I guess "THOSE YEAR'S" when I had to rely on my Universal & a 1911 for home defense, "I WASN'T in such bad shape AFTER ALL"! OP DIDN'T ask: is an M1 Carbine comparable to a Garand, M1a, or AR for Home Defense? His "thread starter was":
Anyone use an M1 Carb for home defense? Heck, I've even moved past using the "pencil barrel Mini-14" I own. Back to .45 acp, as OFTEN as not. **(pic below)

*Hope I'm not offending anyone here with that phrase, BUT it does go with all I've heard about my Universal, over many decades of ownership.

View attachment 335764
WELL, LOOK'S LIKE I'm going to be "short changed from a "SNAPPY COMEBACK COMMENT" from the "MOUTH" that bailed! What a shame, as I spent "late hour's constructing this retort"! 馃槀

Super Moderator
@bmcgilvray I watched the video & missed that acc. "MDTR". What was that?
"Modern Tactical Defensive Rifleman" as he did describe in his post after slinging off the acronym.

As opposed to NCTDR.

Nineteenth Century Tactical Defensive Rifleman.

Registered
First off.... inland carbines are notorious for being poor copies. They are confusing Inland made guns with US arsenal guns.

Ive not heard of much in the field problems in WWII, Korea and Vietnam... Its a gun with no real serious failure stories. So I would take all of that talk with a grain of salt. Im sure there have been failures... any gun will have some. But unlike the AR stories they are very few. They still use the Carbine in prisons and other countries. That says a lot about the reliability of the design.

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
I have heard that the Israelis still use the M1 Carb. Can't verify this, however. Anyone know of other countries that still issue/use the Carb?

Registered
The Thai guards carried them years back. I remember one poking me with the muzzle to get me up from a snake-infested field where I had "fallen asleep" after a hard night at the club.

He didn't speak English, but I understood Muzzle.

Registered
I have heard that the Israelis still use the M1 Carb. Can't verify this, however. Anyone know of other countries that still issue/use the Carb?
About 8 years ago I sold an M1 Carbine Birch stock to a prison armorers out west somewhere. He as repairing ones still in use there at that time. Im not certain they still are... but in my timeline thats still rather recent.

Premium Member
My dad kept an M1 Carbine in the trunk of his investigators vehicle. It looked really cool back then in the 70's. I acquired an Inland Carbine from CMP some years ago and found it to be an excellent shooter. I keep it stored in the gun safe but wouldn't hesitate to use it as a home defense weapon.

Premium Member
Great weapon for a right handed person. Not so great if a lefty.
Ejected brass will hit you right between the eyes.

Registered
Great weapon for a right handed person. Not so great if a lefty.
Ejected brass will hit you right between the eyes.
Meh. Lefties have it coming.

Registered
Discussion Starter #54
One other advantage to an M1 Carb. Ammo is still available and a lot cheaper than a box of Blazer 9mm.

Reactions: msgt/ret and OD*

Registered
I like my Universal M1 Carbine - it has quite a few Javelinas and one deer to its credit, but it's not my favorite. My Mini 14 is more fun to shoot, and the AR15 does hog patrol on the hunting lease. The carbine is like a Jeep - not the best choice, but satisfies a itch. Also like a S&W Model 10 - everyone should own one sometime in their life. I suspect that those trashing the carbine either had a worked over lemon or never owned one. To each his own.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts