Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just recieved a springfield armory m1 garand ,,can anyone tell me where i can get some more info on this rifle ? i called springfield and they gave me this other web site,but no info ,,itsa govt model rifle ..thanks
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
4,401 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ghostmaker

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
DSCN4274.jpg DSCN4276.jpg DSCN4278.jpg

It's not mine, my buddy misterfats123 let me fire off a couple of "CLIPS" and PS: LOVE YOUR ICON Go Yankees !

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
love them yankees !! btw ,,on my reciever it says .30 caliber ,does this mean 30-06 caliber ammo ?

·
Super Moderator
18,825 Posts
Yipper. The .30-06 for the great majority of M1s out there.

Only the comparatively uncommon Navy reworks of the 1960s included a caliber change to 7.62 NATO in the rebuild. Those generally command a premium price when one sees the market.

I have a couple of M1 reference books that give some monthly production data if you could provide all but the last three digits of the serial number. It might get you started on dating the gun. The barrel date might be interesting if you could provide it as well.

You may already be able to locate the barrel date but here's an example of a Springfield Armory produced barrel dated June of 1944 in case you need it.

It is not uncommon at all to find M1s that were rebarreled in a military overhaul of the rifle sometime in it's service life. If the production date indicated by the receiver's serial number doesn't agree with the barrel's date it's no big deal unless one is interested in high-priced "all-original, as-produced" collectors' grade examples.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Check with Roy Huntington at Handgunner Magazine, if he does not have enough info for you he can point you in the right direction

1 - 7 of 7 Posts