Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you M-4 gurus I have a problem I can't seem to resolve. On my DPMS suddenly the buffer retainer slips off the spring and down into the trigger assembly. This will not only happen in live fire but also when charging the weapon, not every time but often enough I would not grab this long gun in a problem situation. Any ideas what could be causing this would be appreciated. And yes it is clean and no it is not dry.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Is the buffer retainer pin in spec? Possibly a broken tip? What about the buffer? Is it in spec? Do you have a commercial buffer or a mil-spec? I am not sure if they have the same ID but I do know they have different OD's. How long have you had your rifle before this problem manifested?

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Is the buffer tube threaded far enough in to cover all but the tip of the retainer pin? Are the threads in the lower (both buffer tube and retainer threads)in good shape or worn ?

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Is the buffer tube threaded far enough in to cover all but the tip of the retainer pin? Are the threads in the lower (both buffer tube and retainer threads)in good shape or worn ?
+1.......It the buffer tube screwed in far enough? It probably needs one more turn....

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Add mine as second vote for rocky's suggestion to check and see if the buffer tube is screwed in enough. The only other reason I could think of for it doing that would be a piece of the retaining pin to have chipped off and only barely be held in place.

-B

·
Registered
77 Posts
Add mine as second vote for rocky's suggestion to check and see if the buffer tube is screwed in enough. The only other reason I could think of for it doing that would be a piece of the retaining pin to have chipped off and only barely be held in place.

-B
Thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Your buffer tube holds the pin in place. It should be screwed in just until it is ready to touch the pin the holds the buffer in place. You didn't mention it but have you or anyone replaced the stock, or had it tore down for service of some sort? Funny it would "just start" doing it, but if you have not fired it much since you got it, might be the case it just had not been used enough to get it worn loose. Prolly 1/2 to 1 full turn should do it. Don't forget to pull it apart and drop another cpl drops of locktight in the threads as well.......

·
Registered
195 Posts
+1

+1 look at it

·
Registered
657 Posts
+1 on turning the receiver extension in 1 more turn... But don't lock tight it. The TDP calls for staking the endplate to the castle nut for a reason - if you're gonna have to work on this end, you might as well put it back together correctly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
DPMS factory tocktights thier buffer tubes......its up to you if you decide not to, Personally, I always lock tight my buffer tubes.... they take alot of punishment....

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
If my weapon has threads......it has locktight, never said I don't stake the plate, just don't put it together without something on the threads.....
that goes double for my handgun grips......... :)
But then I am a pretty good smith, and I like to smith my guns......
Just with I could do the bigger stuff instead of paying..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts