Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
International Cherry Blossom Festival organizers, and at this point, even Sheriff David Davis (think Boss Hogg and Roscoe P. Coltrane) believe they can ban weapons at Macon's Central City Park during the festival.

And get this, CB organizers also believe they can ban weapons at their street party this year held on a public street. The good Sheriff at least disagrees with that, since the street is "public property". Well Sheriff, the park is also public property as well! What's the difference?

We have state preemption of weapons here in Georgia.

Someone will probably wind up carrying openly at the festival, so we may have yet another lawsuit of this type in Georgia where a private entity thinks it can ban weapons on publicly owned property.

We lost one such suit (mine and Georgia Carry's) at the local level by a Fulton Court judge (no surprise there in more ways than one), but hope to win at the Georgia Court of Appeals sometime in the future when they can get to the case.

There's a thread on this over at: No Guns At Macon's Cherry Blossom Festival - Georgia Packing Forum

My blog article about it: Pursuit of Patriotism: Macon Cherry Blossom Festival - Gun Ban Legal? © 2017 Phillip Evans

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
I'm glad that worked out well. Perhaps it will hold precedence for future challenges as well.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Better than what my city has done.

They have a illegal postings on an open air pavilion structure in a park where they hold the larger farmers market. The CC law explicitly states that these structures on public properties cannot be posted legally. There is no fine, or other repercussion, to do so. However, no charges can be filed against people who do have a CC permit and take a firearm into the structure. Openly carried or concealed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts