Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since shortly after I started carrying, I carried a specialty round that was extremely light and gave a huge energy dump on impact. I won't go into more specifics than that, but it was an epoxy round that was pre-fragmented.

And then I trolled the forums here on DC for the last 10 months or so. The more I read, the less comfortable I became with a whiz-bang round. If it was so good, why don't more people shoot it? Why isn't it being used by LEO agencies? Why is it on the fringe?

Tried and true, that is where I want to be, but at the same time I know that changing technology and advances in ballistics and material science will continue to make improved rounds.

Well, we went to the local range yesterday to turn money into smoke and noise. At the end of our shooting I shot up my whamadyne rounds and replaced them with Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. 9mm.

Replacing the rounds in my .40 will have to wait a paycheck or two, but I have some Federal LE 155 gr. JHP that will do duty in the interim.

Thanks, ladies and gentlemen, for being a constant source of quality info and a continual stream of thought-provocation. You keep me sharp.

My Best to you and yours.:wave:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
There is some great info to be found here. I too have made some changes as a result of reading the forum.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I've seemed to have been swayed in some of my ways since being here as well. For the better no doubt. Maybe I've helped someone in return, and it's always in my mission to do so. Sometimes it's not even related to firearms. The give and take, or send and receive pretty much goes unspoken here unless someone has a rather earth-shattering revelation befall them. I've been there too.
Become a site sponsor today, and all will be well. (my apologies for the sales pitch, but that's one of my ways of showing my gratitude here, albeit in small amounts from time to time). In the long run, it's going to assist others like you and me in making important decisions.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yep, I blew my money on some exotic ammo and am back to what most LEO's carry.

Here is a website that talks about the exotics: Exotic Ammo FAQ

I have it bookmarked since this topic comes up all the time. Shoot straight!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yep, I blew my money on some exotic ammo and am back to what most LEO's carry.

Here is a website that talks about the exotics: Exotic Ammo FAQ

I have it bookmarked since this topic comes up all the time. Shoot straight!
Good info! I was surprised to read the Glasser safety slug tests.
Dang thing went right through dry-wall and into the balistic gel like a normal FMJ.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
An attacker will likely have his arms outstretched towards you. Your bullets will likely have to penetrate his hands/arms/clothing before even getting to the vitals in the torso.

Shot placement, penetration. Ultralight, ultrafast bullets don't penetrate far enough. Period.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Since shortly after I started carrying, I carried a specialty round that was extremely light and gave a huge energy dump on impact. I won't go into more specifics than that, but it was an epoxy round that was pre-fragmented.

And then I trolled the forums here on DC for the last 10 months or so. The more I read, the less comfortable I became with a whiz-bang round. If it was so good, why don't more people shoot it? Why isn't it being used by LEO agencies? Why is it on the fringe?

Tried and true, that is where I want to be, but at the same time I know that changing technology and advances in ballistics and material science will continue to make improved rounds.

Well, we went to the local range yesterday to turn money into smoke and noise. At the end of our shooting I shot up my whamadyne rounds and replaced them with Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. 9mm.

Replacing the rounds in my .40 will have to wait a paycheck or two, but I have some Federal LE 155 gr. JHP that will do duty in the interim.

Thanks, ladies and gentlemen, for being a constant source of quality info and a continual stream of thought-provocation. You keep me sharp.

My Best to you and yours.:wave:
I've been using Gold Dot 124 gr hp's and some wallmart Winchester and some remington fmj to break in my Kel Tech PF9, getting fairly good results. There have been some FTF's and probably a few were caused by my limp wristing the gun. Anyway, I was wondering if 115 gr Hornady Critical Defense rounds function well in a PF9? I know my G26 will eat just about anything but I'm not sure of the PF9. Anyone have any experience with the round in the PF9?:santaclaus:

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
K.I.S.S. Keep it simple sailor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts