Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys clean yer mags?
or do ya?
i hear ya'all talking abot replacing springs, etc.
i dont see how they open?

do ya lube'em? if so with what?

please enlighten me.
this is namely for my 1911 but i do have a Ruger P89 and have NEVER cleaned them either.

·
Registered
269 Posts
SOLOLUCKY said:
How do you guys clean yer mags?
or do ya?
i hear ya'all talking abot replacing springs, etc.
i dont see how they open?

do ya lube'em? if so with what?

please enlighten me.
this is namely for my 1911 but i do have a Ruger P89 and have NEVER cleaned them either.
My Wilson mags for my 1911 have a removable baseplate. I just pop that off and wrap some old T-shirt material around the eraser end of a pencil to "jam" it into the inside of the mag.
I don't lubricate anything, but I wipe the spring and follower down with one of those "silicone gun wipes".
I do this about once a month.
Good luck. :smile:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I took my magazines apart when I first received them and used some old T-shirts strips to wipe them clean. I also inspected all the parts for any abnormalities (burrs and the like). Now my plans are to clean and inspect about every thousand rounds or about once a month just to make sure there are no obvious wear problems or debris to impair correct function. I do not lube them...

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
K9 makes a good suggestion - new mags - inspect and clean.Mine do not get too much attention once I have ''proved'' them - but will periodically, maybe twice or thrice a year - do a strip down.

I am not in favor of lube in mags - other than minimalist stuff like a wipe (bit like sarhogs scheme) with a lithium grease cloth - meaning - no overt presence of grease just a mere film.

Max attention should be given to freedom of movement of follower - that is where burr inspection comes in and I think it is worth sometimes using a Dremel mop with polishing compound to slick the follower sides - just enough to smooth a bit more.

Another thing that I guess we should include is base plate security - now and again some mags have a less than secure baseplate which could result in a sudden and unwanted ejection of the spring!!! Worth a check to know if all is well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the factory mags disassemble-able?
i have the S.A. stock mags and it looks to me like the base plates are fixed.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Look at the baseplates. Is there a screw?

Sometimes your manual can be of help, I have at least one gun manual that describes how to dissassemble the magazines.

I've had rare occassion to see a magazine in pieces, and they're really not complicated at all. You're not going to screw it up unless you lose the follower or the spring somehow. Go for it.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
No, SA 1911 mags are not servicable. Some aftermarkets are, some are not. i leave em clean of anything, even oil. My HK mags are able to take down, so I will lightly coat em with a dry lube.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Some 1911 mags have removable baseplates, but the cheap 1's I own so far are welded in place. Am gonna get a few Chip McCormick or Wilson mags for carry though.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
yes the springfield mags can be taken apart

Push the follower down to 3-4th hole in side then stick a punch or allen wrench though hole and spring..

Then let go follower tip mag up side down and usually will come out or be shaken out

After that remove punch being careful spring dont put your eye out clean mag and reassy oppsite way ..

Clean my springfield mags that way all the time

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Kompact9 said:
my plans are to clean and inspect about every thousand rounds or about once a month just to make sure there are no obvious wear problems or debris to impair correct function.
Man you must shoot alot, every thousand rounds or once a month:blink:

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Bud White said:

Push the follower down to 3-4th hole in side then stick a punch or allen wrench though hole and spring..

Then let go follower tip mag up side down and usually will come out or be shaken out

After that remove punch being careful spring dont put your eye out clean mag and reassy oppsite way ..

Thanks Bud, didn't realize ya could do that.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Glock magazines are easily disassembled---takes about 5 seconds. So I do that every couple of times I use them and just wipe the parts with a paper towel. If there's just a hint of "dirt" on the towel, I reassemble them. At lengthy intervals, I will clean them with whatever gun cleaner I use on the pistol parts. No lube.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Bud White said:

That's pretty much how I do it too. I converted all my SA mags to 8 round CMC Shooting Stars. Wolff also has +10 mag springs (extra power), I've had good luck with those as well.

A few tricks I use:
- When compressing the spring with a pencil use the eraser end, it gives added traction on the follower so the pencil doesn't slide off.

- I use a finishing nail through the witness holes - works great.

- Needle nose pliers make removing followers easier, just use care not to warp anything. Followers generally come out of the tube nose first (like a submarine surfacing).

- Lastly, pay attention to the spring orientation (coil pitch direction and end of spring configuration), there's a RIGHT way to install them and it's easy to put the spring in backward and upside down. The end of the coil spring grips a hook underneath the follower so it's important that the correct end engages the follower.

- For lube I use an old cotton cloth and a "smidge" of graphite powder (hardware stores sell it as a dry lube for door locks). Just a light wipe inside the tube and it's done ... and doesn't attract dirt/crud.

After you've done it once it's really easy, just sounds tricky at first.
Jack

·
Registered
330 Posts
I clean my magazines when I clean the firearms it feeds. Almost never.

I just take them apart and wipe them down. Light coat of oil on blued mags.

Bruces45 said:
Man you must shoot alot, every thousand rounds or once a month:blink:
I normally go through 200-300 rounds a weekend...

I'd start reloading but I cant afford a press because I'm spending so much on ammo (that and I really dont have anywhere to put a press at the moment).

·
Super Moderator
22,006 Posts
Am gonna get a few Chip McCormick or Wilson mags for carry though.
Rocky,

You can save a little money if you go straight to the magazine manufacturers, none of the 1911 makers that I know of produce mags on site, including Colt, Wilson, Baer, Brown, Novak, Chip McCormick, etc., go right to the suppliers.

https://www.metalformmagazines.com/style.asp
http://www.checkmateindustries.com/dynamic/p_arms.htm
http://www.mec-gar.it/

Solid base mags are not necessarily cheap-junk, I still use several that were made during WWII.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts