Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ( i do ) have to manipulate your shooting hand to clear your mag on your chosen CCW because maybe (in my case) your thumb is just a wee bit short. Of all my different guns I have Glock, HK, Sig I find my HK's Paddle Release the hardest (yes, I know about the extended Paddles for the HK's (P30s). My Sig is probably the easiest to release with little or no manipulation and then comes Glock.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Yup-I also have to move my hand to accommodate the mag release on every pistol I own-short thumb I guess.I carry a Kimber Pro Aegis II and supposedly they are designed specifically for us that are thumb challenged.:blink:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Only on my Shield 9mm. On my full M&P full size the release is ambidextrous so I use my index finger on the button instead of thumbing it.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
The only ones I have a problem with are my 226 and 229 Elites. The rosewood grips are pretty thick, and getting enough thumb on them to press it completely is a challenge.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yes....I don't have real big hands, and I have to turn the barrel to the left slightly to get the mag release. I do also however
use the weak hand thumb sometimes to drop the mag.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Some "short-thumbed" right-handed shooters set their mag release up for lefties and drop mags with the tip of their trigger finger.

Reactions: nlyric

·
Registered
475 Posts
Being a lefty, I use the second finger on my strong hand to drop the mag, so yes the grip shifts. I've tried ambi and reversible mag releases and never liked using the strong hand thumb.

On my G19 and G26 this also lets the mag fall free. If I just used my thumb, my hand is big enough to bind the mag.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Some "short-thumbed" right-handed shooters set their mag release up for lefties and drop mags with the tip of their trigger finger.
Well daggum. I am embarrassed I've never thought of that. Looks like I'm having a mag release switching party in a few minutes.

·
Registered
435 Posts
On my XDs 9mm, when using the extended mag. When you push the release, it pulls the mag in slightly before releasing it, but the cover on the extension is a little too big and pushing on the mag release alone won't pull it in to the gen enough to let it release, unless you grind some of the plastic off the extension. I've got two of them done. The third still needs to be done. In the meantime, I have to "two-hand" that third mag to get it out...on on the release and one to push then pull the mag out.

Also, the aftermarket no-name mags the LGS sold me for the Kimber don't drop out...they stick and have to be pulled out. The stock mag works fine. The mags on all my other guns also work well and work fine with my hands for the most part. I've found that practice is imperative.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My hands are medium size, and of the 4 guns that I carry, all of them have a mag release button that's within reach of my thumb. Reason being, that's one of my criteria for buying it as a possible carry gun, I have to be able to reach the controls with my thumb or I don't carry it. In order from furthest reach to closest:

4) S&W Shield 9mm - even though this is the only single stack in the group for some reason it's the furthest reach for my thumb. But I can still get there without changing my grip.

3) Gen 4 Glock 26 w/no extra backstrap installed, so smallest grip size. The larger mag release on the Gen 4's and slightly smaller front to back grip distance did the trick here. I used to have to change my grip on Gen 3's to hit the mag release. Gen 4's fit my hand size very well.

Tied for 1st) PPQ M2 9mm - with the small backstrap installed the PPQ is tied for first place when it comes to me being able to reach the controls. Pretty much perfect ergos for me.

Also Tied for 1st) Sig P320 Compact with the small compact grip frame installed, the P320C has the shortest trigger reach, shortest grip size (front to back) and shortest reach to the mag release of any gun I've handled, especially for that size/capacity gun. If you have medium to small hands or just have short fingers, do yourself a favor and try to arrange a session handling and shooting a P320 compact with a small grip frame. It's outstanding.

The reason I have the PPQ and P320 tied for first, is the P320 has the easiest reach to the mag release and trigger. And while the PPQ has a slightly longer reach to the mag release and trigger (still pretty much perfect though), it has an easier to reach slide release lever than the P320. In fact, the PPQ has the easiest to reach slide release lever of any gun I've shot to date. In fact, I have to slightly adjust my grip when shooting so I don't accidentally ride it. And it's a shame to, because it really feels good to ride that slide release on the PPQ, it's just perfect to rest your thumb on, which is of course not recommended. :)

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Yes OP especially on my Shield. It's a pet peeve of mine. I have no issues at all dropping the mag without having to adjust my grip with my CZ, Kahr k9, and XD service model.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I actually find that my HKs and Walthers are the only pistols that don't require me to change my grip to drop a mag (using my index/trigger finger). I now prefer these mag release for this reason.

Everything else requires some manipulation to drop a mag, unless I use my support hand.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I use my middle finger as I am left handed and have smaller hands.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Yup, I sure do, but it's never caused me a problem so I never give it much though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts