Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gun that you cc, do you rotate your mag every few days or so? The reason I ask is I have heard that you should take your ammo out of your mag every few days and rotate to another mag because the spring will get weak faster if you keep it loaded for long periods.
Just wanted your thoughts on this....thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have heard that old wives tale too.
In actuality I have fired WWII ammo, in the original mag.
The spring isn't that sensitive. I seldom change (rotate) magazines, except when I am at the range. I don't shoot my defense rounds (Federal Hydra-Shoks) so I switch ammo at the range. And to answer a question ready to be asked, I do have multiple magazines.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
No need to rotate mags. Your springs aren't going to wear out any faster just sitting compressed or relaxed. If you shoot your EDC gun regularly you wouldn't have a problem any way.

BTW I have guns that I seldom shoot, and never carry. Their magazines sit loaded all the time. Never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What I've been told is that rotating and reloading wears the spring out faster than leaving it in its coiled position. Id just keep it locked and loaded

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
A modern spring will not degrade either relaxed or compressed, unless it's corroded, physically bent, heated quite hot, or mechanically banged. The work it endures while being loaded or emptied by hand should have no effect on it, either. However, when subjected to the shock of chambering or firing, it may only last 100 years.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Everyone is right. No rotating necessary. I found a paper by an engineer once online. Springs do not wear while compressed. They wear by using them (compression, relaxation compression.......). The cycling wears them. No rotation for me anymore.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's good information to know. I was worried about this with my new Ruger LCP. I only have 1 mag atm, as I ordered 2 more but they are still on back-order.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Don't believe everything every self proclaimed expert has to say. Springs are designed to behave in a certain way. They are not weakened by being used as they were designed.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Yup, I just found this out today too. I would've and did think, they would be better off unloaded from time to time, and allow the springs to relax as well. Oh well, Learn something new all the time.:hand10:

·
Registered
288 Posts
The 17 round mags in my Taurus PT-92 were loaded and stayed locked up for about 10 years. The springs in fact did fatigue.

Long ago the PT-92 was my primary firearm, but took a back seat to other pistols as my stable of firearms began to grow. The Taurus eventually became a backup bedroom home defense gun.

When a brother-in law of mine became interested in firearms, I brought out everything I have including the Taurus to the Range for him to try out.

The magazine springs had fatigued and I experienced multiple failures over several trips to the range. I replaced the mag springs with new ones from Wolf and the weapon has worked flawlessly ever since.

I was informed newer magazines use a better metal that is less prone to fatigue, but I still cycle the magazines for all my pistols every couple weeks.

YMMV, but that is my experience.

·
Registered
862 Posts
i just occasionally rotate nothing to crazy no time schedule.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I have done this with my personal firearms - but rethinking it - I have three mags for on duty - always loaded up and stay that way; going to the range for qual's is the only time empty them out (from shooting them) and reload when done for duty carry again. All the other officers do the same - year after year same mags, springs - keep loaded up & only time changes is couple times a years for quals at the range and I've never heard of any problems due to it.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I don't think it is anything you have to worry about. It might take 10 minutes off the life of a mag. I go shooting every few weeks and whatever magazine ends up in my gun is the one I use until the next time I shoot. Sometimes I am sure it is the same and most times it is not. I don't bother to check.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Mine get rotated about once a month or so when I go to the range, because I always shoot what was loaded in the magazine and backup magazine.
When I get home, the magazines get cleaned, and reloaded. As to which one gets inserted in the Glock, I don’t keep track, but both magazines get a fresh load of defense ammo.

While I don’t believe rumors that they ware out if the spring is not allowed to expand frequently, I would believe that they should be allowed to expand from time to time.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for this info.....I pretty much thought this was the case but just wanted to get your input and thoughts. You guys are so helpful.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I have an advantage... at my age it no longer matters because I probably won't outlive my magazine springs! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thumper...you are a trip...lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts