Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble trying to find a solution that will work for me to CC an extra magazine.
My typical EDC consists:
I need my weapon completely concealed, nothing visible
Springfield XD 9 subcompact in a crossbreed supertuck with the Velcro v-clips
OR
Kahr CM 9 in a crossbreed minituck with the Velcro v-clips
Ruger LCP in an ankle holster as my BUG
Stylus light in my right front pocket next to my knife
Cell phone back right pocket, just under my primary weapon
Wallet back left pocket
Key front left pocket.

I have no extra pockets; I have been looking at some of the ankle carry options for spare magazines. I figured if I am going to my ankle might as well just grab my BUG. Is there any other solid options for spare magazine carrying options?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw these online, actually about 10 bucks cheaper, and will probably end up going this route. I just don't imagine I will be looking for an extra magazine because I need more ammo, I carry 13+1, it would more be for more likely of a malfunction, so why not just draw my BUG from my other ankle at that point.

·
Super Moderator
20,266 Posts
That was my initial though, but carrying a magazine, double stack for the XD without a mag pouch just seems like a bad idea. The pocket mag holsters take up the whole pocket.
<sigh...> We Neanderthal single-stack guys have finally found an advantage...

I think you need to look around for someone to make you a leather pouch for your magazine and just put up with the bulk.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
That was my initial though, but carrying a magazine, double stack for the XD without a mag pouch just seems like a bad idea. The pocket mag holsters take up the whole pocket.
I really hate keeping a spare mag in a pants pocket; every time I do it I get a ton of lint stuck in the mag. I've had it interfere with unloading the mag by hand, although maybe the slide would have stripped the top round off. You may have to bite the bullet and get a mag pouch that goes on or inside the belt.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A few years ago I found some "cheap" mag holders with belt loop. I think it was Harbor Freight butwhoknows.
They were like either .50 cents each or a buck.
Anyway, I just place my mag in face first that way the mag opening is protected from lint.

Here is a mag holder I really want to buy

Brown Tan Leather Belt Fashion accessory

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you like crossbreed they make mag carriers. Use a carrier, you called out the dirt/crap issue correctly. But a carrier also protects the feed lips; bent feed lip kills mags. No point in carrying the mag if it won't go when you need it.

·
Premium Member
39,505 Posts
Not sure why it is a bad idea. I carry two seventeen-round Glock magazines in my front pockets all the time, no problem.

·
Premium Member
39,505 Posts
I really hate keeping a spare mag in a pants pocket; every time I do it I get a ton of lint stuck in the mag. I've had it interfere with unloading the mag by hand, although maybe the slide would have stripped the top round off. You may have to bite the bullet and get a mag pouch that goes on or inside the belt.
Which is why I unload spare ammo from the mags and wipe them down nightly.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yes, you lose a pocket. I just put my money clip in my other front pocket with my keys.

But it's better than your mag printing under your shirt or stretch your shirt tighter across your weapons.

I do prefer a traditional mag pouch, definitely, when my outfit permits it.

In God and Glock we Trust

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I carry my extra magazines in this-------> Land vehicle Vehicle Wagon Riding toy Cart

I also carry extra ammunition and cleaning kit in it......

And every now and then.... the neighbor kid :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I carry an extra mag in my left front pocket with my keys. I use an uncle mikes inside the pocket size no 2. These are intended for pocket pistols and such. I've carried and extra mag for a glock 23,21 or 1911 this way for over a year.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Which is why I unload spare ammo from the mags and wipe them down nightly.
I just worry that the lint will jam up the mag or my pistol if I ever needed to utilize my spare mag. Probably not a big issue with slacks, dockers or the like but I seem to get a lot of lint in the pocket of my jeans and denim shorts.

And on a practical level I don't really like a mag in my pocket. First off, to get at the mag in a hurry it needs to be in my weak side pocket but that's where I carry my cell phone. A mag will probably scratch up the screen of my Droid, plus that's a lot of stuff in my pocket. I can't get a mag out of the pocket quickly unless there's nothing else in the pocket, plus some of my pants pockets are kind of tight. Occasionally I'll have a spare mag in my weak side fleecie (jacket/pullover) pocket but only if I'm carrying my Nano; a mag for my BHP or HK USP is a little too heavy to ride there inconspicuously.

Obviously these drawbacks really only apply to my situation. For other folks pocket carry is probably a good option. I just have too much crap on me all the time!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry a spare 10 round double-stack SR9c magazine in my left pocket using the Desantis pocket pouch. My keys are carried on my belt with a well-made snap-on key carrier by Beltman that is easily attached to or taken off the belt. This helps me keep the left pocket clear for nothing but the magazine pouch. I find that the Desantis magazine pouch keeps the feed lips end of the magazine clear of any lint and has not been a problem. I do often check the magazine to make sure there is no accumulation of lint. My cell phone goes in a belt clip pouch. For me, this set-up helps conceal what needs to be concealed and uses my belt to carry what does not.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I am having trouble trying to find a solution that will work for me to CC an extra magazine.
My typical EDC consists:
I need my weapon completely concealed, nothing visible
Springfield XD 9 subcompact in a crossbreed supertuck with the Velcro v-clips
OR
Kahr CM 9 in a crossbreed minituck with the Velcro v-clips
Ruger LCP in an ankle holster as my BUG
Stylus light in my right front pocket next to my knife
Cell phone back right pocket, just under my primary weapon
Wallet back left pocket
Key front left pocket.

I have no extra pockets; I have been looking at some of the ankle carry options for spare magazines. I figured if I am going to my ankle might as well just grab my BUG. Is there any other solid options for spare magazine carrying options?

Right after 9-11, I was contacted by a then-sky marshal to cook up a concealed spare mag pouch and my result was what I call "The Spare Change."

It's like a pocket holster for magazines, and can be seen on my website D&D Gunleather

I think a couple of people have essentially copied the design or at least the concept (same as my UNDERSHIRT holster that Mitch Rosen graciously calls "The Workman" and that others simply ripped off) and it works for the people who like it.

That may be the answer to your need.

EDIT: I just went back and looked at the DeSantis rig. Gene is a good guy and makes a very good product. Not sure what he charges for that, but this approach/concept may be the solution you're after. The major difference between his and mine is that his looks to be some kind of synthetic material and my rig is made from leather. It's the way these things function that is important. Reach into your trouser pocket and you've got a quick reload because the rig places the magazine base right there where your fingers can grasp it and pull.

Back when they were popular, belt sheaths for folding knives doubled as spare mag carriers for me. The knife went into my pocket and my spare mag was right there and nobody knew the difference.

Good for you to even put this much thought into carrying spare ammo!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts