Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So earlier today I was at the range with my M&P9L and one one of my magazine just after I fired that last round the bottom part of the magazine fell off, making the inside fall out too spring and all.

Got all my pieces but I cannot find that darned spring. It seems to have vanished away.

Oh well, least I have 5 mags that are good. I'll replace the spring later.

At least I shot great today.

Anyone else have the magazine fall apart like that?

·
Administrator
143,579 Posts
I had a welded on 1911 magazine base blow off once and everything dumped.

Defective spot welds. :yup:

I have never been without at least one extra mag ever since.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If I remember correctly the shoe on the mag is plastic and slides onto the metal housing. Did you take it apart to clean and not get it back together just right or did the plastic shoe (base) just break?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had a welded Chip McCormick shooting star mag do that a while back a class. The fellow that saw it happen had a good laugh. I had just inserted a fresh mag in my pistol and holstered it, as I was walking forward the base plate blew off and it looked like I was spraying .45 caliber rounds out my backside.:image035:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remember correctly the shoe on the mag is plastic and slides onto the metal housing. Did you take it apart to clean and not get it back together just right or did the plastic shoe (base) just break?
Plastic shoe broke off. It's one that was not taken apart before too.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
This is one reason I'm not a big fan of plastic base plates. Thought it doesn't happen often, it's more likely than with metal plates.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
Never had a mag blow apart, but I did have the takedown pin on a Ruger LCP come loose a couple of times. I caught it each time before it actually fell to pieces. I ended up working on the pin a little and haven't had a problem since.

I do carry at least 1 spare mag always just in case.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
10-8 use to distribute for sale base plates manufactured from aluminum for the S&W MP series pistols. I have three.10-8 and Apex now sell the same configuration base produced in polymer as opposed to aluminum.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I had a welded on 1911 magazine base blow off once and everything dumped.

Defective spot welds. :yup:

I have never been without at least one extra mag ever since.
I had this happen with a Chip McKormick magazine.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
It happens.. and yeah, I had a novak 1911 magazine fall apart one day. I will say that I had dropped it many many times. Mags go bad which is the only reason why I carry a spare in my pocket. Extra ammo is a bonus but fixing a malfunction is the main reason I carry it.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
One reason I have range mags and seperate carry mags. My range mags get stepped on, kicked and dropped in dirt,ect.

·
Administrator
143,579 Posts
A few of the really early 1911 magazines (of which I have way more than a few) with removable base plates can disassemble themselves VIA recoil.
I really don't use them at all anymore.
I seem to have more than enough others that do not share that problem or any other problems.

Somewhat off topic....when you look side by side at all of the 1911 magazine feed lip variations that there have been over the years from different 1911 magazine manufacturers.....it is No Wonder WHY some 1911 handguns had function related issues.
Years ago it seemed like every magazine retailer had to redesign the feed lips and the followers in order to make THEIR magazines different than the competition.
:blink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts